PDA

View Full Version : 17 Year Cicadas...and your pets

QueenScoopalot
04-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Cicadas Could Make Your Pets Sick
http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/2983745/detail.html

About five billion cicadas are about to invade the Tri-State, and while
they're harmless to humans, the story isn't the same for pets.

Cicadas are a tasty treat for most cats and dogs, and the invasion prompts
many four-legged friends to overindulge, WLWT Eyewitness News 5's Susanne
Horgan reported.

The bugs aren't toxic or harmful to animals. Rather, some tend to get sick
because they can't stop eating the cicadas.

Gene Kritsky, entomologist at the College of Mount St. Joseph, offered a
comparison in human terms: To an animal, cicadas are like little pieces of
candy flying through the air.

Shauna and Dick Dammel remember the last time the cicadas showed up 17 years
ago.

"I am not looking forward to this," Shauna Dammel said. "I am not looking
forward to it."

The dog the Dammels owned at the time enjoyed quite a few cicadas, and it
caused quite a few messes.

"She would deposit them in a big pile of cicada vomit," she said. "She would
always throw them up, but she ate a ton of them, just a ton."

Veterinarian Dr. Mark Collett said not to worry if your dog or cat eats too
many cicadas. The problem is that animals are unable to digest a cicada's
exoskeleton and wings. The result: diarrhea or vomiting.

"They're not toxic," Collett said. "They don't sting, so as far as causing
harm in that way, it's not going to be a problem. It's like a potato chip: You
just can't stop at eating one."

Anyone have any good recipes for dip? (Sorry...I am gagging over this article) :rolleyes:

G.P.girl
04-08-2004, 07:39 PM
eww we're going to be invaded by cicadas? gross

Twisterdog
04-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Eeeee ..... nasty!!

I'm glad those critters don't live here.

Bleck!

Desert Arabian
04-08-2004, 11:46 PM
Ew. Ew. Ew. Ew. I HATE CICADAS! Especially when they fall out of the trees and land in your hair...or you look down and there's one hitching a ride on your pants. DIGUSTING! BLECK!

wolf_Q
04-08-2004, 11:49 PM
I have no clue what cicadas are?

Desert Arabian
04-08-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Eeeee ..... nasty!!

I'm glad those critters don't live here.

Bleck!

Omg, you're not serious! You have no idea how lucky you are.

Now, if only there was a state that did not have centipedes and spiders..well maybe Alaska, but I don't want to become an eksmio either.

QueenScoopalot
04-09-2004, 08:18 AM
Wolf_Q....A cicada is a type of beetle-like insect that makes a loud noise by rubbing its wings together. One or two aren't hard to deal with, but I pity those who'll have billions. :eek:

Desert Arabian
04-09-2004, 03:24 PM
This is a cicada:

http://www.mentalcontagion.com/jpgs/cicadas.jpg

lat192004
04-09-2004, 03:44 PM
If you can observe them leaving the ground, then hanging from a tree limb to dry, you are indeed fortunate. I saw it twice, a wierd sight. Dogs love 'em, people can eat them too. They will be everyplace, glad I won't be back in Cincy this year! The noise will drive you nuts, too.

WWFanz
04-09-2004, 04:22 PM
I am not looking forward to this summer. I was only 1-2 years old last time they came, so I don't really remember much. But from what I've heard makes me want to lock myself inside the house and never come out.

QueenScoopalot
04-09-2004, 07:56 PM
Neat looking insect, but I can imagine in the noise of so many all at once would drive everyone nuts! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lat192004
04-09-2004, 10:24 PM
I found a recording using WMP9, click on the attachment and let it load up, only takes a short time. I had a farm, and these bugs went on from morning till dusk. Here is the sound, click on

Desert Arabian
04-09-2004, 11:22 PM
That recording doesn't do justice for it's annoyance. lol.

It's about 100 times louder and 5,000,000,000,000 times more annoying!!

I-H-A-T-E-C-I-C-A-D-A-S!

lat192004
04-10-2004, 01:02 AM
I have been stuck on this rock so long, I forget what they sound like. I know I could hear them over a lawn mower, it was, well, CRAZY :mad: We have a frog over here that is just as annoying to locals, but I think it is rather soothing. I miss the trees blooming, I have this picture as my PC wallpaper.........

Amber
04-10-2004, 08:55 AM
Are they kinda like locuses?

Im not sure if we get them. :o :o

Cookiebaker
04-10-2004, 08:59 AM
I grew up on Long Island, and we used to have 10 of 100's of 1000's of them. I couldn't agree with YLL more!! They are THE most disgusting creatures ever with their buggly googly eyes! EWWWWWWWWW!

QueenScoopalot
04-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Luckily around here it's only a few each year so the noise isn't that bad. I think it's quite interesting that one little insect can make THAT much noise with only its wings. I'm still waiting on some good dip recipes! :D :) :D

Desert Arabian
04-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Not far behind the cicada as far as "disgusting" goes would have to be the dobson fly. I used to see them CONSTANTLY up at our cottage, for the past four years or so I haven't seen any- hopefully they all went extinct (ha ha)- I have NO PROBLEM with not seeing them.....;)

Clicky to see picky: http://www.southeast.esu6.k12.ne.us/Images/dobsonfly.gif

All the ones I saw were around 7-8 inches long. They would hang around the doors at night when the lights were on. I would NEVER go outside when those things were around, I was terrified of them. :o

Amber
04-10-2004, 09:31 AM
EWWWW!!!!!

these bugs are gross looking! *shivers*

7-8 INCHES?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

CathyBogart
04-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Well, it's not exactly dip, BUT

Cicada Pie: http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/2968023/detail.html

OR

Here are a few recipes from cicada gourmets:
1) Marinate cicadas in Worcestershire sauce at least one hour. Dip in egg, then in flour or breadcrumbs. Deep-fry and serve with soy or cocktail sauce.

2) Place cicadas on cookie sheet and roast for 10 to 15 minutes at 225 degrees. When dry grind coarsely and use as nut substitute in bread or on ice cream. A finer grind can be mixed 50:50 with flour to make a high-protein dough.

3) Drop cicadas briefly in boiling water. Coat with red pepper, garlic and ground bay leaf.

4) Stir-fry with garlic, ginger and bite-sized vegetables.

From my understanding you want to eat them while they are freshly moulted and still white so they're soft.

Cookiebaker
04-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
Well, it's not exactly dip, BUT

Cicada Pie: http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/2968023/detail.html

OR

Here are a few recipes from cicada gourmets:
1) Marinate cicadas in Worcestershire sauce at least one hour. Dip in egg, then in flour or breadcrumbs. Deep-fry and serve with soy or cocktail sauce.

2) Place cicadas on cookie sheet and roast for 10 to 15 minutes at 225 degrees. When dry grind coarsely and use as nut substitute in bread or on ice cream. A finer grind can be mixed 50:50 with flour to make a high-protein dough.

3) Drop cicadas briefly in boiling water. Coat with red pepper, garlic and ground bay leaf.

4) Stir-fry with garlic, ginger and bite-sized vegetables.

From my understanding you want to eat them while they are freshly moulted and still white so they're soft.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Are you serious??

I'm feeling rather ill.

:eek:

Aspen and Misty
04-10-2004, 01:19 PM
::Guest Enter Ashley's house for party::

Hello Everyone, welcome to my party -- Ashley

Hello Ashley, what kind of food are we having today?-- Guest

O, just some Mash potato's, green beans, salad, Ham and some bug pie. --Ash

Bug Pie? -- Guest

O yes, you know those bugs outside? Ya well I cought a few and deced to make a wonderful pie with them! Want some ::puts dish in guest face:: -- Ash

::guest all go running and screaming out of house::

Was it something I said? -- Ash

:D

lbaker
04-10-2004, 02:26 PM
Cicadas (locust wannabies) are totally harmless, just a nuisance and get prepared for lots of loose stools and up-chuck from the dogs and cats that eat them like fritos. Ducks have been known to eat so many that they get so stuffed they can hardly even waddle anymore :eek: really. Their wings are beautiful however and I've often wanted to figure out how to make jewelry out them - again - really! Their red eyes are the spookiest part though. Look like some creatures from outer space, only in this case it's creatures from under the earth. My biggest concern this year is whether or not to try a garden. They don't eat the plants like locusts but cling to just about anything and that doesn't bode well with fragile seedlings :rolleyes: This year I will try these recipes and let you know. Can't beat 'em join 'em :D eat 'em.

lat192004
04-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Amber
Are they kinda like locuses?

Im not sure if we get them. :o :o

Sorta kind of. When I was a kid(looooooong ago LOL) They were called the 17 year locust. The Cicada was what we called the bugs that come every year, and their drone is very loud, too. I don't know about you, but I think of locusts as being the grasshopper type of bugs, and the Cicadas as being the annual visitors to the midwest. The 17 year old version of the cicada if memory serves me right, are a tad smaller than their annual cousins. Call them cicada or locust, they will get your attention this summer................... Do me a favor all, when the locust arrives, start a topic and we will find out what area of the country their invasion is heaviest.:)

lbaker
04-10-2004, 03:07 PM
Will do. I have a somewhat large lot with lots of older tree that they love. First sign of noise I'll let you know...