PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner's Insurance and Dog Breed Bans

Sevens
04-08-2004, 09:32 AM
I know about breed legislation about towns and states banning pit bulls, rottweilers, etc.

Well, now it is extending to homeowner's insurance! My mortgage company will not lend me the money for our new house unless they know we have homeowner's insurance in place.

I called 7 companies the day before yesterday. Then yesterday, I looked up insurance companies on the American Kennel Club website and found this list:

Insurance Companies Policies on Dogs (http://www.akc.org/love/dip/legislat/insurance_chart0702.cfm)

Well, I had narrowed my list down to two companies, State Farm and Farm Bureau of Virginia. Luckily, both have decided that having a pit bull mix (Bailey) is ok with them.

So, if you have a pit bull, Staffordshire terrier, Doberman, Rottweiler, Chow, Presa Canario, Akita, wolf-hybrid, Husky, Malamute, or German Sheperd, you might want to check out this list. Everybody I've told about it thus far (family, friends, and co-workers) had no idea these rules existed.

I've already had a couple of companies, MetLife and Nationwide call me back and I very nicely told them that their quotes were great, but if it is a choice between my Bailey and their homeowner's insurance, Bailey stays and I'll go with somebody else.

lovemyshiba
04-08-2004, 09:37 AM
We have State Farm as well.
When we got it, we were told "no pit bulls" and "no rottweilers".
At the time, we didn't have a rottie, but now we do.

It stinks, but as long as State Farm is ok with it, I would go with them.

Lissa
04-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes and Chows have bite history? I've never heard anyone tell of being bitten by one...
I'm not familiar with Presa Caranioes, and Staffordshire Terriers, but I still don't understand why they don't base it more on history. Does the dog have a history with aggressiveness or biting? Or does the dog have more history with proper obiendience training, etc. I've seen some pretty mean dogs that many people would never think of as being mean and some very large dogs with a "bad rap" that aren't that way at all. I liked how the one didn't have a list, just said they looked at the dogs history. Just my point of view, I am worried about this because I have my heart set on a Doberman when I finally graduate and can get a house with a yard. No more apartment living for me! Sorry for rambling!:o

joycenalex
04-09-2004, 07:13 AM
i have my auto and home insurance through motorists mutual here in ohio. the agent read me the same list of banned dogs, but it didn't apply to alex the wonder dog and angel duke. i have copies of the obedience school papers for the dogs in with the insurance papers. if you complete o school and get CGC for Bailey could you get the insurance through another company?

anna_66
04-09-2004, 07:17 AM
Luckily we have State Farm also. Although when we first got homeowners insurance with them they never asked what kind of dogs we had. I guess it's getting to be a really big deal now for some reason:confused:

Sevens
04-09-2004, 07:32 AM
I am probably going with Farm Bureau of Virginia. They don't require any extra paperwork, they would just conduct a "bite check" in the area we've lived in for the past two years to make sure the city has not had any bites reported because of her.

The guy said "As long as she's not purebred, you're not going to breed her, and you don't have firearms, we have no problems writing you this policy." I was like "What the heck does owning firearms have to do with my dog?":confused: Then when I told my dad he said "Drug dealers would probably have purebred pit bulls and own guns."

:mad: Grrr! What is it with owning a pit bull that makes people think you must be a felon or deal crack cocaine for a living???? Just makes me so mad sometimes....I have put up with a lot of this crap since adopting Bailey....but she's my sweet baby and I wouldn't trade her for the world.