PDA

View Full Version : Eye-ball jewellery

IttyBittyKitty
04-07-2004, 11:28 PM
EWWWWWWWWWW click here to see a pic! (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4685961/)

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - Body piercing and tattoos make way. The latest fashion trend to hit the Netherlands is eyeball jewelry.

Dutch eye surgeons have implanted tiny pieces of jewelry called “JewelEye” in the mucous membrane of the eyes of six women and one man in cosmetic surgery pioneered by an ophthalmic surgery research and development institute in Rotterdam.

The procedure involves inserting a 0.13 inch wide piece of specially developed jewelry -- the range includes a glittering half-moon or heart -- into the eye’s mucous membrane under local anaesthetic at a cost of $610 to $1,232.

“In my view it is a little more subtle than (body) piercing. It is a bit of a fun thing and a very personal thing for people,” said Gerrit Melles, director of the Netherlands Institute for Innovative Ocular Surgery.

SPECIAL REPORT
• Exploring trends in cosmetic surgery
The piece of jewelry is inserted in the conjunctiva -- the mucous membrane lining the inner surface of the eyelids and front of the eyeball -- in sterile conditions using an operating microscope in a procedure taking about 15 minutes.

“Without doing any harm to the eye we can implant a jewel in the conjunctiva,” Melles said. “So far we have not seen any side effects or complications and we don’t expect any in the future.”

The Rotterdam-based institute, which develops new ocular surgical techniques in corneal, cataract and retinal surgery, developed and patented the jewelry made with special materials and the surgical procedure.

The institute, which carries out the procedure in cooperation with an eye clinic near the city of Utrecht, said it has a waiting list for people who wanted the implant.

GoldenRetrLuver
04-08-2004, 12:10 AM
Wow, that's freaky. :eek: But, I admit, it does looks pretty cool in a way. I think there are worst things someone could do to themselves besides that.

Kfamr
04-08-2004, 12:14 AM
Someoneelse posted a story just like this in General.

I really think our eyesight is too precious to mess with, everything about us is too precious, leave it be. :p
Unless, of course, it's something that NEEDS to be done.

ramanth
04-08-2004, 08:17 AM
eeks. It may look "cool", but I'm sorry.. I don't want any kind of metal attached to my eye ball. What if it shifts into your retina? :eek:

Pam
04-08-2004, 08:23 AM
This is the most ridiculous and scary thing to come along in a long time! I work for an ophthalmologist and I shudder to think what he would say to any patient asking him about such a thing. Trust me, they would get an earful!! Aside from the fact that I personally think it looks stupid, it is just asking for trouble. :rolleyes:

G.P.girl
04-08-2004, 08:49 AM
i wonder if it can come out or something. that would be so wierd if it came out, cause then there would be a heart shaped hole n your eye

catnapper
04-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Did you see how bloodshot the eye was? She p[robably carries around a bottle of eyedrops to lubrucate the eyes... yech.

trayi52
04-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Catnapper, I was thinking the same thing. Ugh! Look at the bloodshot eyes! Nice if you like bloodshot eyes? Not me!

Willie

Tonya
04-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Forget that! That isn't my cup of tea. My eyes are to precious to pierce. lol.

RICHARD
04-09-2004, 12:52 PM
I once was having a conversation with a woman who was facing a window...I happened to notice that she had a strange glint/gleam in her eye, a reflection from the sun at my back.

It was a geometric pattern that I could not ignore.....it was creepy and kinda neat at the same time....

I found out later that she had lens replacement surgery...

I thought about that when I first heard the story.

----------------

And I thought that colored contact lens were strange...

DJFyrewolf36
04-09-2004, 01:10 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Owww...That can't feel good. Did anyone see any articles explaining the pain involved? Ugh, Im too wussy to wear even contacts...

And I have tattoos....
People think I'm nuts, pffft :-)