PDA

View Full Version : downloading music

Amber
04-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Is there any place on the internet that you can download music with out getting in trouble?

G.P.girl
04-07-2004, 08:46 PM
*tsk* *tsk* that's illegal unless you pay or so i'm told....;) :P

Amber
04-07-2004, 08:47 PM
I know, I was wondering if there is any place that allows you too

slleipnir
04-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Well, there is places you're ALLOWED to. Like Kazaa..doesn't mean its legal..

I use it when I want songs

Amber
04-07-2004, 08:52 PM
So I can use it if I want songs? and I wont get in trouble?

binka_nugget
04-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Well, it's possible for you to download songs on Kazaa but I don't know if it's legal. I've read somewhere that it's legal for us Canadians (schlep and I) to download for personal use. Although, I'm not positive about this one..I just read it somewhere. I think itunes (http://www.apple.com/itunes/) is legal (I believe you have to pay).

Miss Meow
04-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Aren't copyright laws global? Where's Cat Lawyer when we need her?!

The artist only gets about $1 from every CD sold, so ripping songs from the internet deprives them of income.

I think the authorities are focused on catching those who share songs online, rather than those who download, but be careful.

luckies4me
04-07-2004, 09:22 PM
You can download music, you just can't SHARE it. Dan's uncle is a lawyer and they have talked about this many times. There is nothing they can do. I've downloaded for years and have never had trouble and don't expect any. Their main concern is people sharing their files, those are the ones they go after!

G.P.girl
04-07-2004, 09:24 PM
yeah but isn't downloading like sharing? or something like that.

CathyBogart
04-07-2004, 09:28 PM
What you do is download the music, and immediately move it out of "My Shared Folder". You can download music, but you can't allow other people to download it from you. :)

luckies4me
04-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
What you do is download the music, and immediately move it out of "My Shared Folder". You can download music, but you can't allow other people to download it from you. :)

Exactly! :)

Amber
04-07-2004, 09:49 PM
Thankyvery much!

So let me get this straight. I can down load music, and just take it out of my shared folder, and everything will be a-okay?

and when I delete it, all i do is right click delete?

thanks for the help :)

Kfamr
04-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Found this informative bit on the net... (http://mp3.about.com/cs/tipstricks/a/whatslegal.htm)

Amber
04-07-2004, 10:00 PM
So you have to pay?

Whoa, im getting confused! :eek:

G.P.girl
04-07-2004, 11:13 PM
lol the whole thing is confusing to me

slleipnir
04-07-2004, 11:17 PM
You don't have to pay to use kazaa...I guess I'm just as confused ;D But..I don't really need to understand either so I guess it's all good

Miss Meow
04-07-2004, 11:33 PM
According to Kay Ann's link, you can copy music that you have bought, and use it for your own personal use, ie copy CDs you own to make a compilation CD. Downloading music - without having paid for it - is not legal.

The sites where you pay for songs allows for personal use because you have paid for a legitimate copy of the song.

Kazaa is illegal.
itunes is legal.

:)

lovemyshiba
04-07-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan

That's exactly what I used to do too!!

But when people started getting sued, we got all paranoid and took Kazaa off of our computers.

I use napster now, and pay for any song I download, itunes works the same way.

I know the chances of getting in trouble are slim, but it's not worth it to me.