PDA

View Full Version : To help make videos

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-07-2004, 10:59 AM
For those who have cameras that can take short videos, but you can't figure out how to get them to be viewable on PT, I use Windows Movie Maker which came with my XP computer. If you don't have WMM, you can download it here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/moviemaker/downloads/moviemaker2.asp) for free (from what I can tell). It's not an extravagent video program, but it's more than adequate for what I do, so I thought this might help some of you out in getting them in a format and size that is acceptable here on PT.

:)

trayi52
04-07-2004, 11:21 AM
Debbie, I have that but have no idea how to use it. Come on be a teacher....and tell us how to do this. I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Willie:)

catnapper
04-07-2004, 11:26 AM
oh, she's a great teacher too! She helped me sooo much when I couldn't figure out the video thing a few weeks ago. I'd like to nominate her as teacher of the year!!!!!

Cinder & Smoke
04-07-2004, 12:11 PM
:eek:

Be sure to *read* the System Requirements on
that page Debbie *linked* to...

Folks like us wiff OLD & *s*l*o*w* 'puters
can't use all this Fancee New Stuff! :( :mad:

We need to have a *chat* wiff Sandy Pawz affore Chrissmis! ;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
Be sure to *read* the System Requirements on
that page Debbie *linked* to...
Folks like us wiff OLD & *s*l*o*w* 'puters
can't use all this Fancee New Stuff! :( :mad:

Yes, that's true, and even if you could download it things would probably be so slow Sandy Pawz would probably be here with a new one before you got anything accomplished. ;)

And ok, for those who need help, what do you need? I can start with the basics. Open WMM and near the bottom make sure it says "show storyboard," not "show timeline." Then on the left go to step #1 and IMPORT video. I'm assuming you all know how to save videos off your camera and know where they are, just like you do with pictures.

Click on Import Video and then choose the video you want to work with. A little picture will show up in the middle of the screen with a blue box around it. Click and drag that down to the "storyboard."

Then if you want, you can mess around with editing yourself and then go to step #3 and "save to my computer." Give it a name and tell it where to save it and then click Next. This is where you tell it what size you want it to be. I always click the second button "best to fit file size" and tell it 1 MB. Then click next and you're done with that part.

Then, to get it on PT, you just start a thread and attach the re-sized file. DON'T PREVIEW! I've discovered that if you Preview it won't work. Just post the thread and if you don't like it or if it didn't work right, you can always delete it.

That's it! Piece of cake! And just like pictures, the more you do it the better you get at it. Next thing you know you'll be editing and adding effects, titles, etc.

Any more questions, just let me know because I want to see lots and lots and lots of videos of everybody's critters. ;) :D

trayi52
04-07-2004, 02:19 PM
You lost me around step 3, I haven't found where you save to my computer. So where is that????

Willie:confused:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
You lost me around step 3, I haven't found where you save to my computer. So where is that????

On the left. You've got step #1 to Capture the video, then step #2 to Edit the video and step #3 to Finish Movie. Under Finish Movie the first option is "save to my computer."

Does this mean we'll soon have a video of Grover!!!??? :D

jenfer
04-07-2004, 03:37 PM
Great! I will definitely try it out tonite when I got home. I got a few clips that I would like to share that I was never able to put it on PT. :o

trayi52
04-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Grover and Mario, if I can figure this out. On my left I don't have anything that say step 1, or etc. I am just having a hard time figuring all this out.

jenfer
04-08-2004, 12:23 AM
the type of video clip i got from my cam is ".mov" and it won't work on WMM. What to do???????????:confused:

trayi52
04-08-2004, 02:03 AM
Whoohoo!! I caught on, I didn't have the right version. I downloaded version 2 and that was why I could find anything you was talking about! I got it!!

I will try and get some videos of Grover, Mario and one for Poppy of my bird Charlie!! Now I have to wait for Grover to move!

Willie:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by jenfer
the type of video clip i got from my cam is ".mov" and it won't work on WMM. What to do???????????:confused:

Go here (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/mov2avi.htm) and download. This is what worked for Catnapper. It's step you don't need to take unless your camera uses the .mov format.

Willie, can't wait for Grover to move! Haven't you got treats or something for her? ;) :D