PDA

View Full Version : break-in?

catnapper
04-07-2004, 07:35 AM
I couldn't sleep last night. I was just laying in bed hoping to fall asleep when I heard next door's dogs barking. Then I heard a noise that I was certain sounded like our back door being opened. I tried to listen, but couldn't hear much through my husband's and Nicki's snores.:rolleyes:

I got out of bed and tuned on the hall light, then ventured downstairs, turning every light on a I went. I finally made it to the kitchen (no big brave Nicki to help fend off the burglers) and switched on that light. The back door was still locked, but I opened it to check it anyway. I looked into the mudroom and didn't see anybody. BUT I heard a distinctive tick sound from the closet in the mudroom... I shut the door and locked it - I was not that brave to investigate the closet noise.

I never heard anything else last night, but it scared me to pieces.

BitsyNaceyDog
04-07-2004, 08:04 AM
Scary, You are way more brave than I am, I would have made my husband check. We have a motion detected light outside and sometimes late at night I will see it on, it always scares me, but it's usually a cat or something. My husband and I are both anal about checking to be sure the doors are all locked before bed. We do however keep a key in our shed in case someone (family or friends) need to get in.

G.P.girl
04-07-2004, 08:59 AM
how scary! i would have woken Nicki up and brought nicki wth me. we've never had anyone break in to your houe before, that would be so scary there's no way i would even get up out of my bed i would just lay there still. but i sleep with my door lock ast night anyway, (which has several good purposes)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Ooooh...creepy! It's like in the movies, you hear the noise in the closet and they (on the screen) here the noise in the closet. You yell at the movie screen "Don't open the door!!!" and they open it anyway to find some horrible thing and you're like "I told you not to open the door dummy!"

Sorry if this doesn't help you any Catnapper, but this is what came to mind when I read your post. I'm sure I would have had to open the closet door, just like the goofs in the movies. :rolleyes: But you were much smarter and locked the door instead - good move! :D

catnapper
04-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Ooooh...creepy! It's like in the movies, you hear the noise in the closet and they (on the screen) here the noise in the closet. You yell at the movie screen "Don't open the door!!!" and they open it anyway to find some horrible thing and you're like "I told you not to open the door dummy!"

There was no way in the world I would have opened that door! You're right... it IS a lot like that! I am nowhere near as brave as those movie idiots that open the doors.

And if I'd gotten Nicki up, she would have wanted to go out, then I'd be standing outside in my PJs shivering with cold and fear while she sniffed the daffodils.:rolleyes:

PayItForward
04-07-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
And if I'd gotten Nicki up, she would have wanted to go out, then I'd be standing outside in my PJs shivering with cold and fear while she sniffed the daffodils.:rolleyes:
LOL. :D

I would have just stayed scared upstairs :eek:

QueenScoopalot
04-07-2004, 03:19 PM
I would most definately have a dog nearby to investigate the clicking noise. That sort of goes without saying that one of the four would hear it anyway. Nothing like a burgler alarm that doubles as a garbage disposal:D :D I'd make sure hubby was the one to check it out too. Call me chicken....cluck...cluck:) :)

popcornbird
04-07-2004, 05:39 PM
If I were you, I would have gone deep down under my covers, covered my ears, prayed that all was ok, and trembled all night. :p

I'm serious.........I wouldn't have even gotten out of bed. :p I'm a CHICKEN!!!

trayi52
04-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Okay, you closed and locked the closet door. Hate to ask, but did you ever have your husband look in the closet? Wow, whatever may still be in there........:eek:

Willie;)

catnapper
04-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Okay, you closed and locked the closet door. Hate to ask, but did you ever have your husband look in the closet? Wow, whatever may still be in there........:eek:

Willie;)
I never woke my husband... just slipped back into bed and slowly fell asleep. I checked the closet this morning and saw nothing out of sorts. Its a large walk-in type closet.. it used to be a tool shed when the mudroom was a back porch. When the previous owners enclosed the porch and made it into a room, it became a nice large closet.

I don't feel I was brave. I just had to check out the noise or I'd have never gotten sleep. Both cats were sleeping elsewhere and all that was running through my mind was that someone was trying to break in and the cats could get out. What we think of in times of stress.

CamCamPup33
04-07-2004, 08:18 PM
I would have gotten out, im just like that. Just to hear what it was, or it would bug the heck out of me the whole night!

Glad it was nothing, or hopefully nothing!