PDA

View Full Version : Do cats appeal more to introverted persons?

sirrahbed
04-07-2004, 02:36 AM
This a is a companion poll for the intellectual/thinking persons version. I am wondering if my fellow cat lovers tend to be introverted as I am.

Kirsten
04-07-2004, 05:24 AM
Well, I don't know if I'm really introverted, but it's a fact I prefer staying at home with my babies rather than going out. I've never been the kind of person that loved hanging out in the clubs or something like that...

And even though I like all animals, I think I definitely like cats best! :D

Kirsten

neko1
04-07-2004, 06:00 AM
I am definitely introverted and I love my kitties!

catcrazylady
04-07-2004, 07:38 AM
That was a hard one to answer for me. The last thing most people would accuse me of is being introverted! BUT it is only because they have no clue what I do keep inside. I said that I wasn't introverted but deep down I believe I am.
Very interesting question and I'm curious to see how the poll turns out. Personality types versus pet of choice, very interesting indeed.

catnapper
04-07-2004, 07:46 AM
Gee, thats a hard one. I am certainly not shy. I love to be the center of attention. But I also am a homebody. I prefer to stay home at night than chat up someone else at a party or event. All I know is that I love my cats and dog equally.

Pam
04-07-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
I prefer to stay home at night than chat up someone else at a party or event. All I know is that I love my cats and dog equally.

Good question and I really don't know how to answer. I don't feel that I am introverted but like you, catnapper, I much prefer staying at home in the company of my cats and dogs rather than going to parties, etc.

I read somewhere that dogs appeal more to men because they are able to be trained and controlled, whereas kitties just 'do their own thing' and men, as a rule (I know there are exceptions) don't like that quality in a pet. Interesting thread!

emily_the_spoiled
04-07-2004, 08:57 AM
I am not sure I fall into the traditional framework of an introvert, but there are many times when I prefer the company of my cats to the company of other people... maybe that does make me an introvert :confused: :confused:

catmandu
04-07-2004, 09:39 AM
I think that Cats also prefer people that are quieter ,as my Cats will avoid people , that are noisy , or approach them. They like to make the firstmove, with New People!

sirrahbed
04-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by catmandu
I think that Cats also prefer people that are quieter ,as my Cats will avoid people , that are noisy , or approach them. They like to make the firstmove, with New People!

Yah, good point Gary. My husband and I are quiet people and prefer quiet people, just like our cats do. This also reminds me - as long as I can remember - whenever I am in a stressful situation, I PRETEND I am a cat!! It seems to calm me and give me just enough edge of confidence and maybe a bit of a facade to look more confident than I am am inside!!! I have done this since I was a little girl. (and that was a L O NG time ago:D )Try it sometime!! I look around a little bored, stretch, gaze at things, sit up straight, etc, if in an interview or doctor appointment, I do not answer right away, etc...:p :cool:

sirrahbed
04-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by emily_the_spoiled
I am not sure I fall into the traditional framework of an introvert, but there are many times when I prefer the company of my cats to the company of other people... maybe that does make me an introvert :confused: :confused:

If you can prefer the company of cats to people, I would say you are a card carrying introvert. Join the club - it's a GREAT club:D I prefer cats most anytime - unless it is other introverts!!

Karen
04-07-2004, 12:58 PM
I am not at all introverted, and I like all cats! And dogs, and bunnies and, well, all animals - (except slugs and leeches).

catcrazylady
04-07-2004, 01:10 PM
The more I read the more I realize that I am a serious introvert!! If I could I would not work and only leave the house when it was time to grocery shop. I think I would continue to volunteer at the shelter but that would be it. That would be the perfect world for me because I really don't like people! Except for all my PT cat and animal loving friends!!
Hubby and I are also quiet homebodies. I'm really happy that way and it makes me sick that I can't stay home with the kitties all the time but they gotta eat! I hate working so that must be why my blood pressure almost put me in the hospital last week! Ok, I have changed my mind-I'm an introvert that loves her cats more than most people and I don't care to leave the house very much at all!
I keep telling you guys that one of these days you all are gonna read about me in the paper..."Old lady dies and cats eat her for dinner!" http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif

lat192004
04-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Yes to the question, but not a hermit. Not a loner, but don't mind being alone.....not lonely, just alone at this stage of my life

DogLover9501
04-07-2004, 03:47 PM
I am introverted and I prefer dogs lol I don't know if this belongs here, I LOVE cats too, of course, but am more of a dog person, as if I seen my favorite kind of dog and my favorite kind of cat, I would probably point and shout "Ohhh look at the dog"

Amber
04-07-2004, 03:51 PM
I love both equally. Since I have both dog and cat, I must love them and like them equally.

DogLover9501
04-07-2004, 04:01 PM
but I have 3 dogs and a cat, and I still consider myself more of a dog person, I don't love my cat any less, it's just other things, if I could only own one, a cat or a dog, I would own a dog, and things like I would rather watch a dog show than a cat show..etc.

Kfamr
04-07-2004, 04:32 PM
Introverted as in shy/rather stay home?

If so, I'm very shy -- around people I don't know.

I've never owned a cat in my life, Dogs are definitely best in my heart, but kitties follow close. ;)

I don't think owning a certain type of animal makes you this or that, atleast for me it doesn't.

It is much easier for me to strike a conversation about dogs, or if I'm with my dogs (if they're being wuiet of course.:p )

carole
04-07-2004, 05:29 PM
Well I most certainly would class myself as being introverted, so I guess I fit the stereo-type this time round.:)

Logan
04-07-2004, 06:35 PM
I am most certainly NOT an introvert (not that being one is bad). I just know that I am not in the catagory. But yet, I have 4 dogs (loving ones, with a huge desire for human companionship, all of them). Plus, I have two cats, who also require/demand their share of attention. We also have two birds, and in actuality, they require more attention than any of our others, and they get it. But I do enjoy those times away from home, minus my pets, in a social situation, but always, I am anxious to get back here to enjoy my pets! :)

jazzcat
04-07-2004, 06:36 PM
Guess I'm introverted. I never even had a cat until I was 24 and married but now I guess you would say I am more a cat person even though I do love dogs. I find myself enjoying the company of my cats (and dog) better than a lot of people. Funny thing is I majored in Public Relations and I really hate dealing with the public. The few jobs I've worked in PR were not the most fun for me, except the one where all our clients were out of state.:D

lat192004
04-11-2004, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I still agree I'm introvered, I draw my energy from within, don't need people as such to hype me up. I can have it either way, I can socialize, or if left alone to myself, I can be content. I'm not a bit monophobic. All of my jobs I have had in my life were either evenings or overnighters.I had a small feral cat colony, plus a few human contacts, so it was not too bad. I edited this post, I need to stop complaning about this &*%$#(&^% back. Most cat owners seem be quiet people, most cats don't like excessive noise.

sirrahbed
04-12-2004, 09:49 PM
I thought I would shamelessly bump this back into activity in the hopes of gathering more votes for my ever so scientific and unskewed poll;) Remember - I am just trying to see if *exclusive cat-only* people tend to be introverted. Introversion is NOT a bad thing! It is just a person who draws their energy from being alone - not a hermit or anything!!
Once again - this is NOT a lighthearted poll - it is unbiased and purely scientificly accurate