PDA

View Full Version : Are cats the pet of choice for intellectual/gifted people?

lat192004
04-07-2004, 12:00 AM
Hello all,

I read about a survey once that came to the conclusion that intellectuals, including musicians, artists, writers, even computer programmers, prefer a cat over any other pet. Do you think that this is true? I'm not trying to say cats have snob appeal, just want to know:are cat owners more likely to be intellectual types, people who are more likely to be deep thinkers? Or would you say no, that cat owners are no different than dog owners. Thanks for your input........

aly
04-07-2004, 12:16 AM
I don't think cat owners are more intelligent than dog owners at all. I really don't see a difference in intelligence between the two.

I do notice a difference in personalities. Cat owners tend to be a bit more introverted than dog owners.

(I think the results of this poll may be skewed since this is being asked on the cat side .. hehehe)

lat192004
04-07-2004, 12:21 AM
Yes, I admitt it, it's coming from a cat lover(ME). LOL. :D :) :)

Randy_K
04-07-2004, 12:22 AM
I suspect the appeal of cats runs across the spectrum of careers, educational levels and intelligence levels.

sirrahbed
04-07-2004, 02:33 AM
I tend to agree with Aly, that cat owners seem to be more introverted but I do not think it has anything to do with intelligence - but gifted people ARE often introverted so who knows? I voted no, though. Hmm...maybe I will make a poll to see if we ARE introverted....

Kirsten
04-07-2004, 05:27 AM
Well, I actually think dog owners and cat owners are different, but of course there are always exceptions from the rule.

I don't know if I'm gifted in any way, but you can say I rather use my brain than my muscles... ;)

Kirsten

catmandu
04-07-2004, 09:12 AM
I dont think that there a lot of differences , the only reason , that my family chose Cats, is that our Dogs tended to roam , and had to be picked up , at the Dog Pound , which didnt happen with cats, and Cats dont tend to need to be watched , as much as Dogs!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-07-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by aly
(I think the results of this poll may be skewed since this is being asked on the cat side .. hehehe)

What, me biased because I own two of the bestest kitties in the world? Bah! ;) :rolleyes: :D

But of course I picked yes because I would like to be categorized as an intellectual/gifted sort of person. What am I talking about, of course I'm an intellectual/gifted sorted of person.....aren't I? :p ;) :D

Randy_K
04-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Perhaps the real difference is that cat owners (and I use the term "owners" very loosely) are better able to understand subtlety. I frequently hear "dog people" say that cats are too independent, emotionally inaccessible and only need you for food. They miss the dependence, the need for affection and cuddling and play and all the other non-verbal communication.

catnapper
04-07-2004, 11:39 AM
I have both a dog and cats. I am very artistic and expressive. Am I more intelligent? Depends on what type of intelligence... there's social, emotional, logical, etc. When it comes to math - forget it. When it comes to the arts - I am a walking art history book, walking art technique advisor, you name it and I can help you so long as art is involved.

I don't know if thee's a difference... my husband knows nothing about art and is a math whiz... yet we share the same pets.

Karen
04-07-2004, 11:48 AM
I know lots of people society would consider "intellectual/gifted." They are not any more likely to have a cat than a dog. In fact, many have both. So there.

I do not find any stereotypes to be true about cat owners versus dog owners. There are people who own dogs for various reasons, from the superficial to the sublime, from companionship to comfort to comic relief. Same is true of cat folks. The only difference is that I do not know anyone who owns a cat specifically as a working animal, unlike police dogs, guide dogs, herding/farm dogs, and dogs people have for home security/protection.

Where was the survey done, by whom, and of how many people? I am just curious.

I pose that bunnies are the pet of choice for intellectual/gifted people! :p

lat192004
04-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Hello Karen,

I heard of this cat/intellectual people connection through listening to all night radio show years back, and the results came up similar to what shows on the poll at PT right now. Funny thing about me, I did not like cats until I met my wife, she got a seal point Siamese, and I was hooked on cats after that. The wife and I split, but that cat bond stuck. The poll I mentioned about was not official, just the results of a long ago lost radio show from about 1972. There is a great story, although a bit long, from Rudyard Kipling written in 1902 about cat domestication. Go to the link....
http://exn.ca/cats/kipling.cfm..., it is gerat reading for any cat lover. While you are there, check out....http://exn.ca/cats/home.cfm ... This is Discovery's site for cats. Karen, I don't know if cat people are any smarter than other pet owners, but they sure are different. You don't own a cat, fiqure that out and you will work out fine as a cat lover. I have worked around animals, had all kinds of pets, but never anything like a cat. Cat people are different, that is a person who only prefers a cat as a pet...Thanks for letting me post this Poll, and I love this Pet Forum!!......:D :D :D

Kfamr
04-07-2004, 04:35 PM
I voted NO, again.. I don't think this is correct.

Talents aren't related to preference in pets.

Logan
04-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Cats are "easier" in many instances, and are definitely "easier" to leave when other things arise. But I would have to vote "no" to your question Heck, I have both, love both (dogs and cats) and wouldn't have it any other way!!!!

carole
04-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Well I Would not consider myself an intellectual , but yes I am introverted, so maybe there is a grain of truth in the statement, but really its just a big generalisation, or stereo-typing for want of a better word, so NO I don't agree with the statement at all.

Its a mixed bag IMO, some cat owners are gifted etc, some are not, some are introverted , some are not, etc etc.:)

lat192004
04-07-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Randy_K
Perhaps the real difference is that cat owners (and I use the term "owners" very loosely) are better able to understand subtlety. I frequently hear "dog people" say that cats are too independent, emotionally inaccessible and only need you for food. They miss the dependence, the need for affection and cuddling and play and all the other non-verbal communication.

So, there is a difference, we are able to understand subtly, we don't have controlling personalities(who can control a cat?). Cats are difficult to understand, and it taxes a persons patience to no end. Usually this patience and kindness toward a living being that connot be controlled is reflected in that person's personality. Dog owners shout commands to get Fido to obey, where cat people just let the cat take a message and put you on hold. It's a more subtle kind on communication that get a cats attention, and cat people have that ability. There are dog AND cat owners in this forum that fit the cat persons profile, but overall I have to vote yes, cat people are different, and usually they are intellectual and gifted.... Just my observation, this is just an opinion poll here, unscientific of course...........P

sirrahbed
04-07-2004, 07:28 PM
This has been interesting, as has my little companion poll about introverted people. What I am certain of is that there is a certain type of person - the type that prefers cats exclusively. I do not really like dogs - (do not dislike them either, just do not connect) and this type of person is a *cat person*. Maybe stereotyping - but I have known many of them and I AM one of them. We are quiet, quirky, introverted, thoughtful, noncontrolling, patient, and I happen to think we are *interesting*:D I have also been labeled as intellectually gifted, but that seems almost snobbish, and I do not want to make cat people come across as snobbish - but it could be. Then again - I have read research that talented and gifted people are also prone to mental illness and do not to wear THAT label either (even if it fits):p :p

G.P.girl
04-07-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Karen

I pose that bunnies are the pet of choice for intellectual/gifted people! :p

Hey i agree!:D

Kfamr
04-07-2004, 10:19 PM
Maybe it's only I that feels this way but somehow this thread is somewhat offensive.

It's sort of like saying Dog owners are less of a person than cat owners.

Especially the part about patience. Dogs take alot of patience and trust to train. It takes alot to gain that trust as well. Thus being the reason many, many dogs end up in the shelters, because people don't have patience.

wolf_Q
04-07-2004, 10:29 PM
How about I just say that all cat people are SNOBS? :eek: There, I lumped you all into one catagory. I'm sure you will not agree because it is a negative stereotype. But you will agree with being more "intellectual and gifted" as its a positive stereotype. :rolleyes:

Each cat is different, each dog is different, each person is different. I don't think it's possible to define's personality or intelligence based on whether you are a cat, dog, rat, bird, or non-pet person! My dog is very independent, he does NOT act like your average dog at all...probably more like a cat! lol So what am I..a dog person or a cat person? ;)

(Just for the record I don't think all cat people are snobs! Just people who think they are better because they like cats better than dogs...or visa versa...;) )

trayi52
04-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Okay, I have both dogs, cats, a ferret, a bird, and a Monkey! So how do I feel? Shucks I feel like an animal lover. I visit the dog side and the cat side and the bird side. I don't snob any of them.

I make my rounds, and don't just stick to one side. So no I am not a snob! Oh and I own a horse too.

IttyBittyKitty
04-07-2004, 11:00 PM
I am a smart (alec!) and I love cats! :P :P

lat192004
04-07-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Maybe it's only I that feels this way but somehow this thread is somewhat offensive.

It's sort of like saying Dog owners are less of a person than cat owners.

Especially the part about patience. Dogs take alot of patience and trust to train. It takes alot to gain that trust as well. Thus being the reason many, many dogs end up in the shelters, because people don't have patience.

Hello K

I cannot understand why this thread would offend you!!???!!The part about patience, let me explain: It's tolerance and patience, as trying to get a cat even to come over by me and sit down is a game of wits. Cats understand, they hear you OK, it's just they in their little independant head do as they darn well please. They are extremely intelligent (did you see the cat in" Riply"s Believe it or not " that eats his food with a fork!? And how about training cats to use a humans toilet? Cats are so smart they refuse to be controlled. They are basically wild animals that choose to live with us. If they decide they don't want to live with someone, it's out the house through the screen door, and find someone else.

PLEASE.. don't be offended and don't ever think dog owners are less that cat owners. Cat people, as they are called, communicate in much more subtle ways than you do with your dog. It's an entirely different world, I have had Beagle hunting dogs, Collie's, and cats. Cats are wierd, different, and it takes a special person to get along with them.

Angel, Sweetiecat, and all my feral friends, and myself, appologize if we have offened ANYONE here. Sorry we cat people are coming off as snobs to you. There was no intent for that, it's just, well, gosh, CAT PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT =^.^=

wolf_Q
04-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by lat192004
It's tolerance and patience, as trying to get a cat even to come over by me and sit down is a game of wits. Cats understand, they hear you OK, it's just they in their little independant head do as they darn well please. They are extremely intelligent

It's tolerance and patience to get many dogs to come to you also. Not every dog is a big happy golden retriever that comes bounding to you whenever you say their name. Like I said earlier, my dog is very independent. I can call his name, he'll look at me and walk the other way half the time. Dogs AND cats have such different personalities! Some cats WILL come running to you and play like dogs!

PLEASE.. don't be offended and don't ever think dog owners are less that cat owners. Cat people, as they are called, communicate in much more subtle ways than you do with your dog. It's an entirely different world, I have had Beagle hunting dogs, Collie's, and cats. Cats are wierd, different, and it takes a special person to get along with them.

So people don't communicate to their dogs in subtle ways also? I know that I've looked into my dogs eyes and we've communicated. Dogs are VERY in-tune to body language, not all people communicate to their dogs by just "shouting commands." :rolleyes: It takes a special person to form a bond and communicate with ANY animall, not just cats!

lat192004
04-07-2004, 11:46 PM
I believe I'm getting subtle signs that this thread may be getting hostile :mad: Wolf_Q, your last post even made my two cats run for cover:eek: Sorry to come off as snobbish. This is a simple poll. Answer yes, no, maybe, or no opinion. I can sense you picked no. Thanks for your input, all I can say is thanks for taking the poll. I never meant to get anyone hot over this, sorry if I offended:( :( . My patience and tolerance that helps me get along with cats so well has told me to say good night to all ;)

wolf_Q
04-07-2004, 11:59 PM
ALL I'm trying to say is that every cat is different, every dog is different, and every person is different! You can't put them into stereotypes! I hate stereotypes, even stupid ones like this! :rolleyes: Apparently this is too difficult to comprehend...

trayi52
04-08-2004, 12:14 AM
I have to admit that my Grover is very special to me, by the way Grover is a cat. She is special to me,(in case you don't know) because I bottle fed her. So I am very close to her for that reason.

I have two dogs that I care a lot about, well three if you count my daughter's dog. I worry more about Grover, because of what she went through, most of the people here on the cat side know what she went through.

Nobody is snobbing anybody here, we are all animal lovers. We share that bond.

Willie

Kfamr
04-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by lat192004
Hello K

I cannot understand why this thread would offend you!!???!!The part about patience, let me explain: It's tolerance and patience, as trying to get a cat even to come over by me and sit down is a game of wits. Cats understand, they hear you OK, it's just they in their little independant head do as they darn well please. They are extremely intelligent (did you see the cat in" Riply"s Believe it or not " that eats his food with a fork!? And how about training cats to use a humans toilet? Cats are so smart they refuse to be controlled. They are basically wild animals that choose to live with us. If they decide they don't want to live with someone, it's out the house through the screen door, and find someone else.

Angel, Sweetiecat, and all my feral friends, and myself, appologize if we have offened ANYONE here. Sorry we cat people are coming off as snobs to you. There was no intent for that, it's just, well, gosh, CAT PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT =^.^=

Have you ever seen the dogs rescue people from snow, fires, help fire fighters out on 9-11, and all of the other amazing tasks they perform?

We're controlled, by the police, by the government, by our teachers, by our bosses - does that make us less intelligent because we're controlled?

Some dogs are as independent and do as they please - and some cats are able to be "controlled." Does this make either one of them less intelligent?

The reason it offended me is because by the thread topic, you're saying dog owners are less intellectual/artistic/musical etc...

My brother owns two cats that I love just as much as if they were mine. My brother is no different than I am. He's not so much musical, he's not artistic, he's not intellectual. :p

What do you mean we communitcate in less subtle ways?

IttyBittyKitty
04-08-2004, 12:51 AM
Chill out guys ... sometimes I think that people on this forum take themselves waaaaaaaaay too seriously!

REMEMBER: Something can only OFFEND you if you LET it!

And we are ALL wonderful, animal loving people so let's simmer down, hey?

carole
04-10-2004, 04:37 AM
I agree with you on this one Tam, I think this thread was never mean't to be offensive in any way, and some of you are being a tad sensitive, NO CAT LOVER OR DOG LOVER is better than anyone else, we are all bonded together as ANIMAL LOVERS and that is all that matters, believe what you want, if you think being a cat owner makes you more intellectual or gifted so be it!!and vice versa.

Pizzigatto
04-10-2004, 06:55 AM
Which make better pets?

1. Flying Squirrels with an attitude?
2. Hyperactive Gerbils?
3. Overweight Chinchillas?

Vote Now!!! :rolleyes:

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-10-2004, 09:07 AM
My opinion:

I have owned dogs and cats. My love for both is deep and totally committed, but also DIFFERENT. My interaction with dogs and cats happens at different emotional and physical levels.

Not to say I prefer one over the other - merely that I connect with them in defferent ways, and thus get different rewards out of the relationship.

BUT you have to agree - the best feeling in the world is turning your key in the front door after a LOOOONG day, and having your best friend rush up to greet you - cat or dog - the thrill is the same!

rpcathouse
04-10-2004, 10:00 AM
My opinion is:
To own a PET is a life long deal. The pet will not:
Grow up and move out and start out on a life of it own.
Will not be able to provide food and fresh water.
Will not be able to make choices about its health and treatment.
Will not be able to decide whether to live in the comfort of a home or the unknown of outside.
Will not be able to contol its own life span.

We as pet owners can make these choices for our pets. We care, love, feed, get medical treatment when we think it is needed. We can control if they live indoors only or indoor/outdoor life style.
We make sure they have food and fresh water always.
We make that commitment when we say we have a pet cat or dog or any animal.

As a pet owner, whether rich/poor, intellectual/or not. We do the best we can by our pets. Gifted yes we are, the gift is we have pets as a part of our family and the love and comfort they give us. They ask for nothing, (I do have a couple who will beg at the dinner table), but we do. They except nothing but we do. They want nothing, and we want more and more. We as owners have the best gift of all the animals we love and cherish. But we still want more. They will never ask us for more they make the best of what they have. We have learned and I hope we will keep leatning from our pets. They have alot to teach us.

Ok that is more than my 2 cents worth. I am gifted to have these wonderful creatures in my life and my home. Would not have it any other way. They comfort me, make me laugh and cry. I have lost sleep over them, I have slept because of them. They ease my pain and make it " All better." They have taught me the gift of life and the pain and heart ache of death. I still have many lessons to learn.
I think the pets are the intellectual/gifted ones!

Stella

lisalee
04-10-2004, 12:53 PM
It's really hard to generalize. I'm a cat person and also an introvert. My mom's also an introvert and loves dogs. Oh well, I just wanted to say all animals and the people who love them are wonderful people to love and care for them no matter what there personality type may be.:)

Lisa & Sash
http://pages.ivillage.com/lisalee992 (Sash's website)

lat192004
04-10-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Pizzigatto
Which make better pets?

1. Flying Squirrels with an attitude?
2. Hyperactive Gerbils?
3. Overweight Chinchillas?

Vote Now!!! :rolleyes:

LOL:D :D I vote for "flying squirrels with an attitude". I can't believe this post is getting so many hits. Instead of a post it should be a catagory. Nothing serious in this post, sort of tonque and cheek humor, although it is intersting to see what folks think. I have heard more than once that the cat is the thinking person pet, so I created a poll to see what poeple think. Thanks to all that voted!!

trayi52
04-10-2004, 04:03 PM
Yes, I think anybody that is an animal lover is special in their own way. It shows heart, and I think that is the most important thing. I think my cats have me trained! My dogs love me unconditonally no matter what.

I think I would pick the overweight Chinchilla! LOL!

Willie:D

Dan Holder
04-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Don't know about that. Seems more like how much a person needs to control others. If you act certain ways, the dog will think you're the boss. The cat will think you're insane.

carole
04-10-2004, 07:12 PM
I love both cats and dogs, but for me it suits me better to own cats, they are cheaper to look after, and for me I like their independant natures, I Love how they can be snooty when they choose,defiant,and not highly trainable,secretly I think there is a little bit of my personality mixed in there with the cats, maybe thats why I am so attracted to them.

:) :D

trayi52
04-10-2004, 07:40 PM
I think you both have good points, seems like the ones that gets trained when you own a cat is well US! And I must say I am very well trained! ;)

Kfamr
04-10-2004, 08:24 PM
People get offended by different things. I found this very offensive, maybe you didn't.

And maybe you didn't because you're a cat owner, and it was a poll in your favor.

carole
04-10-2004, 08:31 PM
I respectfully disagree with you kay, I was raised on a farm, so dogs were a big part of my life as a child and teen, just not now, mainly because of the financial side of things, I think sweetheart you just read way too much into this thread, but hey that's ok its your privilige to feel offended.

Just one point Kay, I think its rubbish to say cat owners are intellectual/gifted people, its a generalisation is all, but if you choose to believe that , well its up to you.,

There is a really good way of seeing another persons point of view on any subject so I am told pyschotherapists use it, it has a special name , some kind of therapy, it is to argue the other persons point of view as if it were you, in other words I become the Dog owner, they say it really works.

There are bright and not so bright people in this world,. some own dogs , some cats, but we all share the one thing we are ANIMAL LOVERS , Kay you know this stereotype thing does not describe you or probably anyone you know who owns dogs, so keep that in mind.:)

Kfamr
04-10-2004, 08:42 PM
I know it's not true, it's just a stupid stereotype, but I, and others were offended.

guster girl
04-10-2004, 08:50 PM
I have a dog and a cat. (and a rat and hamster) :) I hate stereotypes, too. I didn't really get offended by the thread, though, just because it's a stereotype that's been around for a long time. it's funny to me, because when a cat person tells me that cat people are more intelligent than dog people, they're just disproving their point, IMO. I think it's amusing. People are going to think how they want to think, though. I know some people who own dogs because they really do like to control another. But, I know people who are control freaks and own cats, as well. My cat runs down the stairs and greets me at the door, but, still looks at me like I'm from Mars when I tell him not to sit his butt on my plate of food. Finn, my dog, will pretty much do what I ask him to, with training. But, his controllability has nothing to do with why I chose him as a companion. I honestly just love all animals, and, would have one of every kind if I could afford it. And, all for different reasons. I guess I'm multi-faceted, and, super happy that I don't fit into any stereotype. And, just to point out, I don't think anyone is being over sensitive. If it bothers you, it bothers you. And, I also don't think anyone was being hateful or over the top or hostile. It seems to me that anytime someone goes against what the popular opinion is (even if it is said with a bit of a 'tude), people freak out and call them hostile or tell them to chill. I think it all makes for interesting reading and nothing more. Anyway.....all pets rule. :)

carole
04-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Well Kay as I said its your privilige to feel offended or not, I know we all take things differently, I just wanted to point out to you I was not being biased, because I have been a dog owner, not just a cat lady.

I am sure those who offended you, certainly did not mean to,I think this thread was not intentionally started to offend anyone, I think it was a tongue in cheek kinda thread, its a pity you feel so strongly about it,as i am sure the thread starter would feel awful to know you feel this way.

guster girl
04-10-2004, 11:23 PM
I don't think it's a pity to feel strongly about anything.

IttyBittyKitty
04-11-2004, 12:31 AM
Still going? I think we need to just agree to disagree and lay this one to rest:

CATS ... AND DOGS RULE!!!!

...and mice, and birdies, and froggies, and snakes, and spiders (ew) .... well, you get the picture!

lat192004
04-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by IttyBittyKitty
Still going? I think we need to just agree to disagree and lay this one to rest:

CATS ... AND DOGS RULE!!!!

...and mice, and birdies, and froggies, and snakes, and spiders (ew) .... well, you get the picture!

I SECOND THIS MOTION BY ITTYBITTYKITTY!!:D I have found out from this post that some pet lovers can become emotinal over such a subject as this one. We are all pet lovers, different in some repsects, but one common thing is we all love some animal we made a pet very much. I had an old cat that was crossed with an Aby. He was so sick. I had to take him to the vets, and he was euthanized. I couldn't watch. I didn't morn, but when I looked into Pumpkins eyes one last time, I could see into his soul, and saw his farewell. I immediately went up to the humane society and adopted another one, thus ending up with Angel the 19 pound tabby. I think the gifted and intellectual ones are the pets we have as pals...Thanks all for your input into this poll!!.P

Randy_K
04-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Couldn't resist this... The two gentlemen in this picture are the guys who did the special effects on the movie "Cats & Dogs". That’s the "Cats Rule" salute.

http://home.att.net/~rjknox/VES-2004_06.jpg

lat192004
04-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Randy, that Mount Rushmore thing is funny!:D

lat192004
04-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Randy, also wanted to add: Squid Gallery is pretty cool;)

Randy_K
04-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks. The woman in the picture above, Bev, is the Squid Gallery artist.

Cataholic
04-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Wow, here I was all set to make some silly, nonserious comment about how OF COURSE cat people are FAR superior to ANY other type of animal people...but, I see now it wouldn't be in good taste.

I, too, saw this as tongue in cheek polling....right up there with what is better- boxers or briefs.

popcornbird
04-12-2004, 02:07 AM
My goodness!! What a thread! Makes me laugh at what little things people quarrel about. :p

Fact is..............you're all wrong. Birds rule. :p

Ok, I am kidding.........maybe in my heart, I'm not :p he he he, but anyway, all animals have their own qualities that others don't have. Dogs can do some amazing things, than no cat, or any other animal can imagine doing. What sort of cat could ever rescue people from under rubble, after an earthquake. What sort of cat could sniff and inform officials about people with drugs, etc. Only dogs can do that!

Now.......how many dogs would come back home after being out and about, throughout the city, the whole day? Cats have an amazing sense of direction and can return to their homes from miles away, without getting lost.

And now tell me........what sort of dog OR cat can learn to speak the language of human beings? They can't. Birds, however, are excellent at doing that, and most birds that speak a lot, actually KNOW what they are saying, and use the proper terms at the right time. Also, I think it would be pretty hard to find a dog or cat that would migrate thousands and thousands of miles from their homes during the winter, and in the summer, return back to the exact nest they left, months before.

As you can see..........all animals are intellectual and gifted in their own ways. Most can do things that would be next to impossible for another species of animals. Same with humans..........the pets they have doesn't determine how smart or intellectual they are. Just as different animals have different levels of intelligence, same with human beings. I bet you can find plenty of highly intellectual people that don't have any pets at all.

And I must add..........I don't think this thread was to be taken seriously at all. I don't see it as something to argue about. It was a generalization........but nothing serious. Just funny. Relax everyone........there are better things in this world than arguing to use our energy on.

This is coming from a bird/cat person (yes I am a cat person too...........even though I don't have one). :p

Kfamr
04-12-2004, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird

Now.......how many dogs would come back home after being out and about, throughout the city, the whole day? Cats have an amazing sense of direction and can return to their homes from miles away, without getting lost.

Also, I think it would be pretty hard to find a dog or cat that would migrate thousands and thousands of miles from their homes during the winter, and in the summer, return back to the exact nest they left, months before.

Alot of dogs!

-----
And I don't think your average pet bird does that either.
(Or any pet for that matter)

What you said PCB was exactly what said. The sort of pet you have does not make you different from the other.

------------------

As I said, different people have different things they find offensive. I obviously was not the only one, and I know I'm not because people have PM'ed/IM'ed me and said they were too.

I don't think it's a pity, I don't think i'm wrong for being offended. If you do, that's grand.

I do think this poll is a bit biased though, being on the Cat's side. ;) It is just another stupid stereotype/generalization - which I hate, and which is probably why I got offended mostly.

And as Amy said, i'm pretty sure 50% of this board would be offended if someone had posted a poll like this, or saying Cat people are snobby, etc.. in Dog General - or anywhere for that matter.

lat192004
04-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Wow, here I was all set to make some silly, nonserious comment about how OF COURSE cat people are FAR superior to ANY other type of animal people...but, I see now it wouldn't be in good taste.

I, too, saw this as tongue in cheek polling....right up there with what is better- boxers or briefs.

For all who were offended,please read this. Yes, this poll is probably a bit biased, since it is in the Cat section. No stereotyping was intended, as I know you hate this. I think everyone who reads the paper or listens to the radio or TV in their life has heard about "cat people", and the observation about cats being thinking people's pets? I'm not trying to prolong this debate, but since I created the poll, I want to say I never meant to offend anyone. What I want Kfamr is you to be able to see that this poll was not meant to offend you, or anyone else, either. Sometimes people take things the wrong way, sometimes things are misunderstood, maybe the author didn't make it clear enough to start with. I don't think ANYTHING in this forum is really too serious. It's mostly fun, and has a humorous quality I find refreshing. I'm not a statistic watcher, but I bet 99% of this poll sees now that the poll was tongue and cheek, light humor, kidding around, get my drift. Anyone who sees this poll as anything more than this, should, well, maybe lighten up a bit! :D :D :) :) :) :) .. I know for a fact K that there is one stereotype that this forum appeals to, even though you hate stereotypes, is that we are all PET LOVERS. I could bet we are all 100% pet lovers, another statistic you could bet on in Vegas. I created this poll, and again, if I offended anyone, please accept my deepest appologies, from me and both of my cats.......Thanks all for your input..............P:cool:

By the way, a good cleaner for you pets ears, and in my case, anal sac area of a female cat, is a prduct called Derma-Pet. It is expen$ive, but it works. If anyone knows of a cheaper costing generic, please e-mail me at [email protected]

carole
04-12-2004, 09:23 PM
That is exactly how I saw this poll too, tongue in cheek kinda of thing, and actually if I were told that cat people are snobby , I would not care less, I would find it quite funny,if the cap fits wear it, is my attitude,I think more people were not offended than offended by this poll, but everyone has their right to their feelings I guess.

tuxluvr
04-12-2004, 09:43 PM
Perhaps the cats pick us because we are

a. Bright enough to figure out how to feed, water, and change poo box

b. We admire the intellectual superiority of the CAT

c. Know that the cat rules;) ;)

(teasing of course)

sirrahbed
04-12-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by tuxluvr
Perhaps the cats pick us because we are

a. Bright enough to figure out how to feed, water, and change poo box

b. We admire the intellectual superiority of the CAT

c. Know that the cat rules;) ;)

(teasing of course)
Teasing? Which part is not 100% true?:eek:

tuxluvr
04-12-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Teasing? Which part is not 100% true?:eek:

hehehe

guster girl
04-12-2004, 10:20 PM
I think people were completely aware that it wasn't necessarily MEANT to offend anyone. But, there have been plenty of jokes and/or non offensive threads on this forum that have ended up offending someone. Again, it's not a pity to be offended. There may be things that you feel like devoting energy to that others may think are pointless. That's what makes the world go around. And, it doesn't make it any less offensive to the offended if everyone else doesn't see the point in arguing about it. I can specifically remember a thread about rednecks that offended most of the people who read it, even though the poster meant it as a joke, albeit tasteless. I, personally, wasn't offended in the slightest, but, I am not about to tell someone that they shouldn't be offended. Anyway....my two cents.

catlady1945
04-13-2004, 07:52 AM
Super pets for super people!