PDA

View Full Version : We started Clicker Training today...

GoldenRetrLuver
04-06-2004, 08:52 PM
My mom took me to Petco today to buy one of those Clicker Training Starter Kits. I've heard so many good things about it from people here, so we decided to give it a whirl.
Well, it works wonderful!!! I'm working with Daisy first, and for a few minutes I was working with her to associate that click=treat. We took a break after she seemed to get it, and then I started to teach her some tricks. She learned 'Take a Bow' in less than 5 minutes! It's a miracle worker! :p She acts so happy whenever she hears the 'click'. I love it! :D Does anyone have any suggestions on what tricks to teach? And if so, what tricks and how did you teach your dog/s? :)

Just thought I'd share. :)

Thanks!

guster girl
04-06-2004, 09:03 PM
I love the clicker! :) I'm not teaching Finn any "tricks" yet, so, I don't have advice for teaching any. But, I wanted to say good luck with the training and keep us posted on how you are all doing! I actually need to buy a new one, because my kitten, Lock, thinks it's his favorite toy. So, he's somehow managed to break the orange button off! It still clicks, just not as easily. I'm only training Finn the basics, though....sit, down, wait, stay, come, etc....but, you're so right! It is a miracle worker!

binka_nugget
04-06-2004, 09:09 PM
yayyy!! Go Daisy! :D

How about weaving through your legs? Our relatives became so fascinated when Kai did it. I just lured him with a treat and clicked right when he went through. It was so simple and easy to teach yet such an impressive trick.

GoldenRetrLuver
04-06-2004, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys! :D
I was so impressed at how fast she caught on.
Oh, and thanks for the 'Take a Bow' suggestion in the first place, Ash. :) I'll try the weaving through the legs one tomorrow! Don't want to add too much on her the first day. ;)

DogLover9501
04-06-2004, 10:33 PM
I love clicker training! Jasper caught on just as fast!

Some cool tricks(if she doesn't already know them) are wave bye bye, high fives, puppy push ups(sit, down, sit), hmmm spin, touch, leave it(thats always good lol)

I know there is tons more, my clicker trainer's beagle knows 68 tricks!! So I will ask her!

Have fun!!! I know you and the pups will love clicker training.

PS- Have you seen the movie good boy? I love that they were all clicker trained!

jenfer
04-06-2004, 11:20 PM
I hope you & your babies enjoy CT. :)

K9soul
04-07-2004, 08:25 AM
Good girl Daisy!! I'm a CT convert myself. It is just a wonderful way to communicate to your dog, and it's fun for both the dog and the trainer. They catch on so fast to new things because they understand that the click means 'yes.'

I'm glad you're having such a good time with the clicker already! You'll have to get pictures of them doing some tricks for us :D

GoldenRetrLuver
04-07-2004, 12:31 PM
Thanks everyone! It is really fun! :D
I tried to get some pictures of her doing it, but it's kind of hard when you have to be consistent with 'click, treat, click, treat...'

But, here's what I got. :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid110/p59ebf93afbde0d8e20475f8a987f2332/f918e1b7.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid110/p119bc5feed9cedffceb9e77d339c8afd/f918e1be.jpg

:D

DogLover9501
04-07-2004, 01:50 PM
Aww thats so cute! Good job, beautiful Daisy ;)

GoldenRetrLuver
04-08-2004, 12:22 AM
Thanks! :)