PDA

View Full Version : A couple very special shelter kitties!

catcrazylady
04-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Not long ago Sirrabed asked for some shelter stories and I told you all about the wonderful adoption of Cantaloupe. Well I would like to introduce you to a couple of very special kitties that need all of our prayers and good thoughts for finding wonderful loving forever homes.
This is Ocular (stupid name I agree!) He was found wandering in someones yard. He had already had one eye surgically removed and his other eyeball was nothing but a blood filled ball. He was dirty, very hungry, blind, and all alone outside!! I saw him the first night they brought him in. I didn't tell you about him then because it was a little to emotional for me and I just tried not to think about it. They removed his remaining eye and he has been at the shelter for about two weeks now. He is doing wonderful and is the sweetest most adorable love muffin I have had the honor to meet! He is uncomfortable outside of his cage because he doesn't know his surroundings but he is thriving in his space that he now knows.
Meet the wonderful handsome Ocular
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid110/p4aab4e0c4e504edab35d8a96f79c5f4b/f91dc2e5.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid110/p5c8975689ebdd178ee9e58e6889f65ee/f91dc375.jpg

This cute little guy is named Crash. He was brought in after he was hit by a car. Poor little guy was in such pain when they brought him in. He is doing very well now and the vet doesn't think he is going to lose his eye. He is much more relaxed now and doing loads better than a few short days ago! He is a cutie with that wonderful orangie personality!
Meet Crash:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid110/p6bf7f5b6d57c0647c78aac7cf3f9c6bb/f91dc38c.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid110/p62ffda90b19f09014448d4ed28fcda84/f91dc355.jpg

This is one very feral mamma kitty that has given birth to SEVEN babies in her litter box! Just in the last day or so has anyone been able to even reach into her cage to try to clean. She is a very good mamma but she is going to require tons of work! It is going to be very hard to socialize her babies if she doesn't calm down soon. She is a beauty and she needs some prayers to help her through this. Trapped, caged, and surrounded by strangers and then give birth to seven babies! Wow, that must be very scary! I only took one picture because I didn't want to make her any more nervous than she is. I'm sure you can tell she wanted to hurt me but she is only protecting her babies. I have the utmost respect for her.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid110/pa4dab6579a1eb14532777f4568ce1980/f91dc3cb.jpg

These are just a few of the special kitties but I know how well PT prayers work and I know these guys could certainly use them!!

sirrahbed
04-05-2004, 10:27 PM
awww.....well, guess I have more praying to do don't I? Sweet ole Ocular - sure does need a new name!!! Will make a sweet pet for someone patient and loving. Tiny Crash grabs me by the heartstrings right away!!! He looks like a sweety-pie. You have the nicest way of describing these needy animals - you understand them - even feral mamma guarding her babies would have scared me right off! But, you see a good mamma who is scared and protecting her babies. She is going to be a huge challenge isn't she???...to be able to get to her babies soon enough that they are not also fearful of all human contact??
Thank you for the pictures and stories! They make me go and squeeze the air outta MY babies!:D Then I lecture them about how GOOD they have it. Doesn't do much good though.:rolleyes:

nibblets
04-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Ockey is so precious and special. I welled up with tears just reading about the poor baby. He will absolutely pull on the heartstrings of someone who can give him a comfy and safe forever home. He is so pretty! He almost looks like a fluffy stuffed animal. I bet he can be a little snugglebun when he feels safe.
My friend had a blind cat years ago and they adapt amazingly well once they get familiar with their environment.

My prayers go out to all the kitties.

Thank you to all the rescuers for the good work you do...you all are special people with extra big hearts!

rkidsrcats
04-05-2004, 11:30 PM
Well, you knew we would be posting on this one. We always say our prayers for all the one eye or less kitties out there.
We took a vote and Pippin thinks you should change Ocular's name to Mr. Magoo. And that Crash looks like he'll be stealing hearts soon. Someone will look past the cosmetics and adopt them soon enough!

If you need testimonials to prove to potential adopters that blind cats do adapt, let us know. We'll put Pippin, Prince William and TigerTiger to work on a little booklet of how to work with sight challenged kitties.

And thanks crazycatlady for what you do. We know your work is so hard sometimes. Don't lose heart...there are those of us out there that care about what you are doing. We wouldn't have our tribe without people like you. :D

jazzcat
04-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Well I have to say that Ocular and Crash really got to me. They make me think of my Ripley and Scout in looks. Ocular has the sweetest face and little Crash is just precious. I'll say a couple of extra prayers that these sweet babies find homes soon.

I'm sure that feral momma is going to be a real challenge. I pray she settles down soon.

Thanks for sharing these stories and pictures. It's obvious you have a connection with these kitties. Here's another Thank You for what you are doing.

catcrazylady
04-06-2004, 05:41 AM
Jazzcat-Ocular does look like Ripley and Crash looks like a little Scout! Wow! When Ocular (I hate that name!) is up his fur is a lot like Ripleys. He is a little thinner but I don't think that will last long!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif

Thanks everyone for the encouragment and the pats on the back but I promise these guys do more for me than I do for them! I just thought a few extra prayers for these special kitties sure wouldn't hurt!:) :)

catlover4ever
04-06-2004, 06:57 AM
Thank you for sharing those wonderful stories. My heart breaks for Ocular and Crash. Mama will need a lot of work but I bet she will come around in time.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-06-2004, 09:20 AM
I'm a sucker for the "sob story" kitties, and if I had my way my house would be full of "Oculars" (kitties with special needs). I so wish I could take him. This is a no-kill shelter, right CCL? Otherwise I'm sure poor Ocular wouldn't have a chance.

Like the others have said, thanks for what you do, and also thanks for posting the stories and pics.

trinity
04-06-2004, 09:27 AM
I saw the picture of Ocular and immediately started trying to figure out how long it would take me to drive from PA to Kentucky. He has completely stolen my heart. I was just wondering...is there an address that we can maybe send a donation to to assist with his care? And I will be sending lots of cyber hugs to all of them. And definite kudos to you for the work you are doing.....

catmandu
04-06-2004, 09:59 AM
poor little Ocular , i know it isnt mauch , but The Found Catsand i hope that he loves the Cat Nip toys , that we have sent , and that the Postman , is soon ringing at your door. It was providence , I think that got me to send toys , as the Cat Angels must know that it will cheer Ocular up.Especially My little Ebony!

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Ocular's story brought tears to my eyes! They are all so beautiful in their own special ways. I just wish these wonderful shelter cats all over the world would find the homes they deserve. Bless you for doing so much to care for them - and at the same time opening yourself up to all the heartbreak! (((HUGS)))

moosmom
04-06-2004, 08:07 PM
CCL,

What beautiful babies!!! Ocular is sweet! I wish I could take him in!

As for the feral mama and babies, looks like you've got YOUR work cut out for you!! ;) All ya gotta do, is sit in front of the cage and softly talk to her. Whisper to her. Slowly blnk your eyes at her. Once the babies are weaned, they need to be separated from Mama and socialized. Once they're separated from her, it'll be fairly easy. But I'm sure you KNOW that!!!

See? There's always someone in the shelter who needs you!! Please keep us posted as to how they're doing, okay??

QueenScoopalot
04-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Ocular certainly has stolen many hearts...mine included. I always am a sucker for special needs kitties. Sending prayers for the whole gang. A few suggestions to help the feral mama be less frightened. I am attaching a (sorry large) picture of a cage setup I have for the new mama here. Her babies are 3 days old (four new kittens) and I haven't had any aggression problems at all with her yet. I attach shelving to the back wall of the cage which allows the mama to get away from the kittens when she feels like it. Also I bungee cord plexiglass sheets to the sides to prevent drafts, URI transmissions etc. Also it keeps the kittens from possibly falling through the wires! :) The entire cage is covered to give her a sense of security, and in the picture is a baby sheet that is attached over the shelf, and it hangs down to give the nursing mom lots of privacy! I lifted it up with a stick to take this picture, but mama is very content not having to nurse the new family in a dirt hole somewhere outside! I also use a long handled butterfly net (tie a loose knot in it) as a scoop and push it under the kittens to change the bedding without risking getting bit! I managed to get all four rolled onto it on their birthday, and put them onto clean bedding and then pushed it back under with long sticks. Kissies to all the sweet rescued babies! Janhttp://img42.photobucket.com/albums/v128/QueenScoopalot/Feral_Mama.jpg

QueenScoopalot
04-06-2004, 08:36 PM
The bedding was free of litter just a few hours ago! Geesh...messy mama, but it sure beats ice cold damp dirt right?:D

krazyaboutkatz
04-06-2004, 08:44 PM
CCL, thanks for sharing both pictures and stories about these wonderful cats that need forever homes. Also thank you for working with these cats and others. You're an angel.:)

catnapper
04-06-2004, 09:40 PM
Such special kitties! I would take ocular in a minute and love him forever! Someone new needs to take over the naming job... really, they are terrible. :eek: Thank you for the touching storied.