PDA

View Full Version : My humbling weekend experience. :(

Logan
04-05-2004, 07:52 PM
I have never been to a "flea market". I made Scott (my husband) aware of that a few weeks ago and he said that he would take me to a huge one. Saturday morning, Helen (my 13 year old daughter) even got up early to join us, and we drove about 30 miles to Anderson, SC to the "Jockey Lot" a HUGE flea market.

Well, I have to tell you, that even parking was an adventure. And we wound our way thorough all these people selling things out of their trunks or on tables behind their cars. We saw one pickup truck (covered back) with Boxer pups for $200. Sweet little babies, they made me want to take all of them with me. I have friends who have talked about this before, but it didn't prepare me for what I witnessed.

Boy was I in for a surprise. Those Boxers were the first of many puppies and other animals that I would see Saturday. The first row we went down, once we got out of the parking lot, was all pets of all kinds. I'm talking about hundreds of them!!!!

We saw puppies of every single possible breed, mostly small ones (Chihuahuas, Shitzu (sp?), Boston Terrier), plus Lab Mix, Pit Mix, precious German Shepherd puppies, Golden Mix, and many more, all in tight quarters. Plus, Turtles, Iguanas, Snakes, Hamsters, Guinea Pigs, Geese, Ducks, Rabbits, Goats, Chickens, and even two Cockatiels, etc. It was the most heartbreaking sight I have ever witnessed, and I definitely know that Helen has inherited my love for animals (as if it were a question). Finally, after trying real hard to at least endure it, my husband and daughter got me out of there, as I had tears flowing. I wanted to bring every one of those precious babies and run. The saddest sight of all was a big plastic bin, guarded by one girl, that said "Free Lab Mix Puppies. Will be Euthanized on Monday if someone doesn't take them". Bless their darling hearts, they were so precious. I'm sure they had "pit/lab" in their history. The next time we came by, she was gone. I am in hopes that each of those 10 puppies found a home where they will be loved and properly cared for.

The strangest part of all of this was that there were no cats, no kittens? I wonder why? It's not as if there aren't any needing homes in our area?

I don't even know why I posted this, except to say that I'm sure that many of those precious little ones will be put to death or live miserable lives. Is there any way to stop this madness? I will never understand it, but as Scott wisely reminded me, there are people of all backgrounds out there, and everyone does not think like I do. I sure would like to educate them. I probably should have, but I kept my mouth closed out of fear of being attacked or embarassing my family. :(

Logan

Miss Meow
04-05-2004, 08:01 PM
That's so sad, especially the puppies with the 'will be euthanised Monday' on them. :( What sort of choice do they get: put to sleep or possibly end up with a miserable life in a bad home?

Why the hell can't these people pay $80 to neuter their pets, instead of putting their animals through this torment?

mugsy
04-05-2004, 08:07 PM
THAT would be puppy mill puppies. Ask about the parents of the puppies. How sad.:( :mad:

trayi52
04-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Logan, I know what you mean. They have a flea market near where I live. We went to it a few years ago. Thats where I found Stubby, my black stub tail cat. He was so pitiful, he was just sitting in the cage until my daughter and I walked up and then we heard this loud screaming. There was this little black kitten in a cage, a very small cage.

We went over to the cage, and opened it and he crawled out and went up my coat sleeve. Well, the man was selling him for 10 dollars. How could we resist that little fellow, it was like he picked us! Why did he start screaming when we walked up to the cage. There were other people standing around the cage.

We begged my husband to please let us take him home with us. Well he don't like cats, and he said no. But we kept begging and finally my daughter took her ten dollars back and got him.

Poor Stubby, when we got him home I noticed he was passing blood in his stool. At first I thought he was wormy. Then I realized he had coccida(sp?). We took him to the vet and had him treated. He started really doing some growing then. A few months later I had him neutered. But the point is this man was selling a cat that he had not took care of. Now Old Stubby is just happy a can be.

You really do see some terribe things like that when you go to a flea market. I have been to a lot of flea markets and you see so many animals like that.

If I had it to do over, I would still of bought Stubby. He did luck up and get a good home. Hopefully some of the others will get a good caring home too. Thats all we can hope for. I know it makes you feel like taking them all with you when you go to these places.

Willie:)

GoldenRetrLuver
04-05-2004, 08:21 PM
People will never learn. It's that simple. :(

lovemyshiba
04-05-2004, 09:45 PM
I'm sorry Logan, that sounds like an awful way to spend a day.

I've been to 2 flea markets in my life--one around here somewhere--but I was young and don't remember much, and one in Florida about 6 years ago--I don't remember seeing any live animals, but it was a fairly "small" flea market.

I would have left too. I hope the pups and all of the animals find homes.

CathyBogart
04-05-2004, 10:07 PM
I'm so glad most of the flea markets in my arearen't allowed to sell animals. I would have FREAKED OUT.

K9karen
04-05-2004, 10:54 PM
I know for a fact that I couldn't have kept my mouth shut. Lord, Logan, I too would be freaked out and in tears. (John's new expression for me is "You're on thin ice...") Those poor, precious animals..we're just going to HAVE to buy that farm we talked about!!!! Let;s bring them ALL back with us!

Corinna
04-05-2004, 11:15 PM
I'm sorry your market experance was so disheartening. They few I got to are fun and no animals are allowed to be on the grounds, period. I hope you can find one of those kind and go again it can be so much fun .

Twisterdog
04-05-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
THAT would be puppy mill puppies. Ask about the parents of the puppies. How sad.:( :mad:

Exactly.

And anyone who buys one is lining the pockets of puppy millers with money ... while the parents of those cute puppies die a horrible, slow death in a filthy, tiny wire cage ... bred every six months until they can't breed anymore, than hit over the head, tossed in the trash, and another one take her place.

Why the hell can't these people pay $80 to neuter their pets, instead of putting their animals through this torment?

Because they are making money at it, that's why! These animals aren't pets to them, they are puppy making machines. Why would they spay a dog that spits out thousands of dollars of puppies for them every year?? The ONLY way to stop the supply of puppy-mill and pet store dogs is to stop the demand for them. If no one bought their puppies, they would have to find a new line of work. That is why education is SO important.

Logan
04-05-2004, 11:29 PM
Maybe I need to start something.....have no idea where to start, but I need to work on making it illegal to sell animals at the Flea Market. Seems that it has worked in other areas, according to your messages. I will make a call, to start my inquiry, with the Anderson County Humane Society tomorrow. I have picked up several dogs from that facility, who were being transported to rescue groups across the country. If any of you have ideas of ways to get to these people to stop this atrocity, I wish you would let me know on this thread, or by PM or email.

By the way, it is not like me to keep my mouth shut, but given the magnitude of this situation, I couldn't attack, without having some factual information in hand, plus the fact that some of these people looked less than honorable. :o We're talking about hundreds and hundreds of puppies and other animals for sale. Of course, as it was, my family drug me off to other parts of the flea market to keep me from falling apart, so I need to look at this as education for me and figure out what I can do to help stop it.

Logan
04-05-2004, 11:32 PM
I didn't tell this before, but in addition to the signs that said "No pets allowed" in the covered walkways (buildings), there were signs adjacent that clearly stated "No Rottweilers and PitBulls allowed on the property". So why would they allow the Pit and Rottweiler puppies to be sold on their property?? I saw both. :(

Miss Meow
04-05-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

Because they are making money at it, that's why! These animals aren't pets to them, they are puppy making machines. Why would they spay a dog that spits out thousands of dollars of puppies for them every year?? The ONLY way to stop the supply of puppy-mill and pet store dogs is to stop the demand for them. If no one bought their puppies, they would have to find a new line of work. That is why education is SO important.

I didn't realise that owners of puppy mills were so brazen in offloading their pups in markets. The main trade here is to pet shops. You're right, education is vital.

popcornbird
04-06-2004, 12:58 AM
That's awful Logan. I know of a Flea Market close to my area. Its a bit far, but I've been there several times. They *used to* have 2 bird shops, where they sold birds of all species.........from parakeets, all the way to macaws. Logan, if you saw them, you would cry, and would want to take them all home. I cried when I saw them. They had 20-30 cockatiels stuffed in one cage, 50 parakeets in another, 20 lovebirds in another, etc. It was HORRIBLE. They all looked so sad, like they wanted to go to their forever homes and leave that awful place that very second. It was soooo sad. Thank God, last year, the city took all the birds from them and put them up for adoption, and closed down their stores. Its now banned to sell animals in flea markets here, and I'm very glad about that too. It was awful when they had them. A looooooong time ago, when I was little, I remember them having puppies, cats, ducks, and other animals as well. Then they went to having just birds, and now, THANK GOD, they don't sell any more animals at that flea market. I hated it, and was sooo happy when I found out their shops got shut down. They got replaced with rug shops. :p

sasvermont
04-06-2004, 05:48 AM
Logan, I don't know how you contained yourself. It would have broken my heart as well. As to why they didn't have cats? Well, my guess is that they have no value. They probably drown them as they are born. I know, that sounds horrible, but I have a feeling that if cats had a value, they would be there!

I would contact the folks who run the flea markets as well as the nearest shelter and try to get pressure put on the markets folks to STOP allowing pets to be sold. It sounds easy, eh? Where money is concerned, values often go right out the window.

My heart is broken to hear this about some flea markets. I hope the folks allowing this ALL GET FLEAS!

Keep us posted. I will stop at flea markets around here, to see if they too sell pets. My guess is that they do NOT - this is Vermont, where everything is a tad off the normal. Sometimes and many times, that is good!

SAS

Pam
04-06-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Logan

I kept my mouth closed out of fear of being attacked or embarassing my family. :(

Logan

I know how much you wanted to say something but I think I too would have kept quiet under the same circumstances. There isn't much one person could do in a setting like that. The best way to stop this is working "behind the scenes" soliciting aid from people who are able to make a change, i.e., changing the laws and making this kind of thing illegal!! What a horrible day you had. I know I would not be able to get those images out of my mind. There is a large flea market here in NJ up in Columbus. I have never been and now I certainly don't want to ever go. :mad:

Cinder & Smoke
04-06-2004, 10:22 AM
Logan ~

Here's a place to start >>>

Federal Definitions - dealer, person, etc (http://www.animal-law.org/welfact/2132.htm)

Federal Laws & Regulations (Including DOGS) (http://www.animal-law.org/welfact/index.html)

Rutger's Univ - School of Law - Animal Laws Site (http://www.animal-law.org/index.html)

South Carolina - "Animal Cruelty" (http://www.animal-law.org/statutes/southcarolina.htm)

GOOD LUCK!

Cinder & Smoke
04-06-2004, 10:55 AM
Found another one - large site by a South Carolina VET >>>

South Carolina Animal LAWS (http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/laws.html)

/s/ Phred

trayi52
04-06-2004, 11:10 AM
When I went to that flea market, my dad had just died. He died in 97 so I think it was in 98, so that would make Stubby about 5 years old. I am just wondering what would have happened to Stubby if I had not went back for him.

What would the man have done with him? I have always felt like Stubby picked us to go home with. It was a really terrible time in my life, my dad had died on June 9th, 1997, and we were at the flea market during cool weather. I myself am glad I took Stubby home with me. So that would make Stubby five or six years old! I have been thinking he is only four!

This flea market had dogs on one side of the highway and chicken, ducks and other feathered animals on the other side of the road. Stubby was with the chickens. There was no water or food in his cage. I just feel like he was meant to come home with me, he chose us.

I usually love going to flea markets looking for old dolls. I love old dolls, and collect them. So I really enjoy going to flea markets for that reason. When I went to that flea market all I was looking for was dolls. Well I found Stubby instead of the doll I have been looking for so many years.

Willie

ramanth
04-06-2004, 02:34 PM
I'm so sorry you had to witness that Logan. :(

Logan
04-07-2004, 04:35 PM
Funny how stuff comes back to you, later.
After reading Richard's Crocodile article in the Dog House, I remembered that we even saw baby Alligators for sale at that stupid Flea Market. :eek:

QueenScoopalot
04-07-2004, 04:58 PM
I would have been horrified going to this flea market too! In Mass. it's not legal to sell animals at flea markets thankfully! There's a rinky-dinky one near me that runs on weekends. Once in a while I pop down there to see how many used toilet brushes & other things no one would pick out of the trash are for sale! Last year I was poking around there on a hot summer day, and noticed a man with several cockatiels on his shoulder. Curiosity got the best of me and I went to look in his van (he wasn't set up there, he would have needed a permit). I was shocked to see several cages in the blazing hot van, one which contained two young kestrals aka sparrow hawks! Glad I had the cellphone near by as I made note of the vans plate # etc. and relayed the details to the authories who tracked him down. It is not legal to own kestrals or any wild bird without proper permits. I never found out what the end result was, but sure hope they were confiscated. I'd make good use of the internet in the case of the flea market you visited. The more noise you make about it, and people you can contact, the better.http://www.ihelppets.com/Prisoners.html Here's a few links I came up with. One sells brochures for a few $ per hundred. It really does start with education.;) http://www.nopuppymills.com/ another one on "free pets" http://www.petrescue.com/library/free-pet.htm and the oftentimes rotten ending they have. Grrr! Keep us all posted on your crusade! :) Jan

G.P.girl
04-07-2004, 05:59 PM
hopefully they won't really be euthinized, she was just sayign that to get more people to buy:(

moosmom
04-07-2004, 06:41 PM
Logan,

What an awful experience!! :( :( You were FAR more polite than I would've been! I never would have been able to keep my mouth shut!

Are these flea markets legal???? I'd check into it!

gini
04-08-2004, 12:11 AM
Logan, you thread has provided an education for me. I have been to many flea markets here in California and it made me stop to think that in all of these years, I had never seen animals for sale. Perhaps it is against the law here and I am unaware of it.

I too, would have been very upset and like you, would have kept my mouth shut.

I sincerely hope that something can be done to stop this madness

pitc9
04-08-2004, 01:42 PM
We have flea markets like that near me as well, I've only been to it once, and I don't think they will let me back in if I ever try to go again!!! I kept NOTHING to myself!! Everyone knew how I felt by the time I left. Not only did they have dogs and cats, but also baby rocoons, coyotes & foxes!!!!

Why... why are people like this on earth??????:(