PDA

View Full Version : Read any good books lately?

Miss Meow
04-05-2004, 06:25 PM
I recently finished The Hospital by the River by Dr Catherine Hamlin.

She and her late husband have worked for 40 years in Ethiopia as gynaecologists. They've treated more than 20,000 women with serious women's health issues that are easily preventable in the Western world.

I was in tears at the end of chapter one, but it's really a story of kindness and hope.

Excellent book if you're looking for some Easter reading.

Anyone else have suggestions?

delidog
04-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Well Miss Meow!!!!
As a Matter of Fact...I have....
Now hear me out before you say No....Yes,They were GREAT Movies...Both of them....but as usual...The Books were Outstanding...
First is "Seabiscuit"...I know Everyone thinks Kids Story....NOT!!!!
Great Book...Great Story.....
Second is "Big Fish"....Great Book....Fabulous Tim Burton Movie!!!!
I would recommend you reading and seeing them Both!!!!!
You Will Love them!!!

G.P.girl
04-05-2004, 07:15 PM
yeah! i looooved Seabiscuit! it was so much better than the movie. i read it three times in a row. another book, i read htis one a long time ago "the girl who loved Tom Gordan" by stephan king. i really liked that book

ChiRen
04-05-2004, 07:50 PM
Normally I'm not much of a book reader but when you're laying by the pool on spring break, you need something to do. :p ;)
I read "The Lovely Bones" and I just loved it. It was sad, but SOO good! I'd definitely recommend it.

Miss Meow
04-05-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by ChiRen
Normally I'm not much of a book reader but when you're laying by the pool on spring break, you need something to do. :p ;)
I read "The Lovely Bones" and I just loved it. It was sad, but SOO good! I'd definitely recommend it.

That's weird, because someone else recommended that one, and it had five reserves at the library when I went to borrow it. Two more to go before I get it!

I'll have a hunt for Seabiscuit :)

Vermontcat
04-05-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by delidog
Well Miss Meow!!!!
As a Matter of Fact...I have....
Now hear me out before you say No....Yes,They were GREAT Movies...Both of them....but as usual...The Books were Outstanding...
First is "Seabiscuit"...I know Everyone thinks Kids Story....NOT!!!!
Great Book...Great Story.....
Second is "Big Fish"....Great Book....Fabulous Tim Burton Movie!!!!
I would recommend you reading and seeing them Both!!!!!
You Will Love them!!!

Delidog and G. P. girl I'm reading "Seabiscuit" right now!:D
I only have a chapter or two to go and I am loving it.
I have been reading it at work when the phones aren't too busy.(I'm not allowed to Pet Talk at work.:( )
I will probably finish it tonight or tomorrow then I plan to rent the DVD this weekend.:)

G.P.girl, I also read "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" a couple of years ago.
I really liked it, but then I love Stephen King books in general.
I'm also reading "Dreamcatcher" by King, I want to watch the DVD when I finish that book too.:)

Edwina's Secretary
04-05-2004, 08:53 PM
I have been recommending "A Girl Named Zippy." Can't remember the author (I've loaned my copy to a friend.) Couldn't put it down. Non-fiction.

"Seabiscuit" -- movie and book -- outstanding!

Shelteez2
04-05-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
That's weird, because someone else recommended that one, and it had five reserves at the library when I went to borrow it. Two more to go before I get it!

I've also read Those Lovely Bones and while it is a bit depressing and sad it is very good and I quite liked it.

I've also read Seabiscuit and it was good, but for a true racing story I prefer Ruffian. That is a great book. :)

delidog
04-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Unfortunately,I lived through Ruffian....Our Vet was her Vet....SAd But True Story

Nomilynn
04-05-2004, 09:14 PM
The Lovely Bones is one of the best books I've read in a LONG time. I cried almost all the way through but it was excellent.

I've been seriously lacking in the good book dept, so I've been sticking to mindless reading like Dean Koontz and John Saul. I can read a whole book in one sitting and they are always entertaining :)

Desert Arabian
04-05-2004, 09:15 PM
I just started reading "She Flies Without Wings: How Horses Touch A Woman's Soul" by Mary D. Midkiff. I am deeply in love with this book, once you start reading it you cann't put it down. It's amazing, especially if you are obsessed with horses like me- that's what this book is for.

I spotted it at Barnes and Noble, I picked it up, and got about 10 pages into the book- I had to have it. Thankfully mama bought it for me!

LOVE IT! Def. will re-read it when I get done!

slleipnir
04-05-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
I just started reading "She Flies Without Wings: How Horses Touch A Woman's Soul" by Mary D. Midkiff. I am deeply in love with this book, once you start reading it you cann't put it down. It's amazing, especially if you are obsessed with horses like me- that's what this book is for.

What's it about? Like horse racing or..?? I love good horse books, but have had trouble finding good ones..I'll have to look for this one

I have Seabiscuit I'll have to get around to reading it

BitsyNaceyDog
04-05-2004, 09:38 PM
I think my favorite book is "Tara Road" by Maeve Binchy. I love the characters, by the end of the story you feel like they are all your friends.

Desert Arabian
04-05-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
What's it about? Like horse racing or..?? I love good horse books, but have had trouble finding good ones..I'll have to look for this one

I have Seabiscuit I'll have to get around to reading it

Just like the title says, it's a book about how horses touch a woman's soul. Here is the description of the book from Barnes and Noble.com

From a renowned horsewoman and gifted storyteller comes this groundbreaking new book that explores a powerful relationship like no other: the magical kinship between women and horses.

Drawing from myth and literature, the author’s own experiences, and interviews with countless women, we learn, through women’s deeply personal stories, how horses enrich our lives and connect us to nature–making us readers of rhythm and invisible signs, helping us harness our youthful sexuality, sharing the “horsepower” we need to reach our dreams. And here we see how, for thousands of years, the deep kinship between women and horses has connected us to our most intimate feelings of delight, helped us learn to solve problems, and set our creativity free.

From the poetry of Geoffrey Chaucer to the fiction of Jane Austen to folktales from around the world, She Flies Without Wings uses great literature and myth to encompass a wide spectrum of beliefs and perspectives–and creates a true celebration of speed, air, and the spectacular animal that connects us with both.

Filled with the moving lessons–-about sensuality, commitment, power, nurturance, and spirituality–women riders have known for centuries, written with a loving hand by an expert equestrian, She Flies Without Wings is an eloquent paean to a pairing that enlivened history, inspired literature, and continues to enchant us all.

Excellent book. Can't stop reading it.

G.P.girl
04-05-2004, 10:31 PM
Vermontcat, i really like Stephen King, but i don't read them much becuase the school library doesn't hae them and i don't have time to go to the public library very often.
another book i love: All creaturs Great and Small by James Herriot. i loved that book!

Logan
04-05-2004, 11:23 PM
I haven't done much reading lately. In fact, you have inspired me to catch up a bit!!! :) I saw "Seabiscuit" and I enjoyed it so much. My husband and daughter did not enjoy it as much as I did (their loss). I will have to read the book.

I've read a bit in the last few months, and one was "The DaVinci Code" and although it was a bit controversial on the conservative talk shows (that's what made me want to read it), I enjoyed it thoroughly! I also read "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" and it was equally as good, although it was one that I would have dropped, early on, if I hadn't been encouraged by others to see it through.

jenfer
04-05-2004, 11:52 PM
I read Chinese books mainly. :o I read a variety of different kind of books. Lately it's comic or mysterious. However I am currently reading Hog Dog by Laurien Berenson. I am only up to like 30 pages or so (I am a slow reader :o ). Dogs are part of the storyline in all of her books. And dachshund is in this book. :) That's why I bought it. :D It's mystery book.

captain
04-06-2004, 12:34 AM
Miss Meow,

I will lend you Seabiscuit. I loved it too!!! - Just finished it actually!!
(Keep your eyes on the PostBox!)

Have not read Lovely Bones, but have picked it up several times. Gonna have to get it now!!!

Miss Meow
04-06-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by captain
Miss Meow,

I will lend you Seabiscuit. ...

Isn't he a bit big for the post box? Better pack him in bottom first and let his legs poke out.

Ah ha ha, I am too funny (NOT!) :D

guster girl
04-06-2004, 02:17 AM
I'm reading a book called "Mountains Beyond Mountains" by Tracy Kidder. It's about Dr. Paul Farmer, and, it's where I got my quote from. It's a very uplifting book. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Well...the only thing I've been reading lately are text books, which leave a lot to be desired in the "good reading" department, but I'm due for a good book so I'll be taking some of you up on your suggestions. I got a $50.00 gift certificate for Barnes & Noble for Christmas, so I'll be starting a list of your suggestions and then go book shopping. :D

cloverfdx
04-06-2004, 10:40 AM
I have Seabiscuit, but have not started it yet so i must do so soon. I will also look out for The lovely bones.

Atleast i will have something to do over Easter :D

K9soul
04-06-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by jenfer
I read Chinese books mainly. :o

Jen I'm in the middle of The Three Kingdoms right now. Have you read that? I know it's a very old and very long epic novel but it's pretty good. I had to get used to the writing style at first but at the moment I'm in the middle of the third volume out of four. I have read it is a very important novel to Chinese culture, like the Homer epic is here.

Before that I read James Clavell's Asian saga. I think I enjoyed Shogun the most, although Noble House was really good too. I enjoyed them all.

I read quite a wide variety myself too. From fantasy to historic to suspense and true stories. Have read most of the John Grisham novels, most of Stephen King. My favorite fantasy authors I think at the moment are George R. R. Martin and Robin Hobb.

ChrisH
04-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Right now I am reading one of my library books, 'Fox Evil' by Minette Walters, pretty good it is too! :D

The majority of books I read, especially fiction, are borrowed from the public library. With some exceptions, (I have just ordered 'Eats,shoots and leaves' from a book club) when I do buy, it is from a used book stall in town.

At the moment I am sort of collecting books relating to cats. One nice one I have is 'Curacao. A cat and her friends' which has lovely black & white photos and cat related verse.
Two of the ones I have are out of print, 'Cats in the Coffee' by Joyce Fussey and 'A Comfort of Cats' by Doreen Turvey, excellent books and, as I recently discovered, worth a heck of lot more than I paid for them!
One cat book author whose work is available and very enjoyable is Dereck Tangye. I have one book 'Somewhere a Cat is Waiting' which is an abridged and edited version of three separate books. I loved it! :)

Chris

davidpizzica
04-06-2004, 05:41 PM
Anything by John Steinbeck is excellent reading. I especially like "Travels With Charley" where he tours the USA with his poodle Charley.

koxka
04-06-2004, 05:49 PM
It's funny because just today went to a book's shop and thouhgt we didn't get any trhread about books on PT,lately. And threre's Miss Meow :)

Delidog, I'm looking forward to see Big Fish movie one of these days.

Logan, got The Da Vince Code,some weeks ago but saved it for Summer Holidays in case is as addictive as said.

Anyway, I would recommend any book by Paul Auster or Amin Maalouf ( a Libanese writer living in France)

To mention some-
By Paul Auster:
The Moon Palace.
Mr.Vertigo
Hands to mouth (autobiografical)

By Amin Maalouf:
Le Rocher de Tanios (Rock of Tanios)
Leon L'African (Leo Africanus)
Le Periple de Baldassare (Balthasar's Odyssey)
I got the english tittles from Barnes&Noble:o

delidog
04-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Koxka,
Over here "Big Fish"...Movie will be released on April 27!!!!!
I have to Buy it!!!!!!

Great Film!!!

The book is awesome also!!!!

And of course Danny Elfman did the Music...( he does the Scores onALL Tim Burton Movies)

delidog
04-08-2004, 09:24 PM
I went o Barnes & Noble today....
stocked up on some good ones....looked for Lovely Bones...they didn' have it....

Oh Well
I got
Dogs never lie about love....Jeffrey Masson

The Complete Cat Stories byCleveland Amory
Dogs don't bite,when a growl will do...Matt Weinstein
Bones would rain from the sky...Suzanne Clothier

Guess I'll have some god reading for awhile!!!

Cincy'sMom
04-09-2004, 06:53 AM
I am a huge reader. I actually dedcidedd to keep track this year, and I am on my 29th book. This one is taking me longer cuase it is a Stephen King (Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla) Some of the authors I have read this year include, Jonathon Kellerman, John Sanford, Kathy Reichs, James Patterson, David Baldacci, Richard North Patterson...

Staci- If you see this, I have a whole box of books for you next week!

Jenfer- I really like Laurien Berenson's books I have read them all! Other good dog mystery writers are Susan Conant, Virginia Lanier and Carol Lea Benjamin (also does non-fiction)

delidog
04-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Yeah!! Cincys'Mom...
And Thank You Miss Meow for starting this thread...
I've gotten lots of great Ideas

*LabLoverKEB*
04-09-2004, 09:18 PM
Canine Caper is a good one.... it's by Rose Block and Delilah Ahrendt.:)

guster girl
04-09-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by delidog
Koxka,
Over here "Big Fish"...Movie will be released on April 27!!!!!
I have to Buy it!!!!!!

Great Film!!!

The book is awesome also!!!!

And of course Danny Elfman did the Music...( he does the Scores onALL Tim Burton Movies)

Big Fish was incredible. I love Danny Elfman and tim Burton. I named my kitten, Lock, after a character from Nightmare Before christmas. And, Edward Scissorhands is one of my top five favorite films. :) MMMMMM.....Johnny Depp.

delidog
04-10-2004, 04:03 AM
So Many good references in it...Steve Beschemi was Hysterical.....
Actually,the whole movie had some great comic twists....
Too many times I was the only one in the theatre laughing!!!!!

"Twas the Nightmare Before X-mas" is a Holiday Staple at our house!!!!!

And who can forget his Classic..."Frankenweenie!!!";) :)

Karen
04-10-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow

Re: Lovely Bones

PM me your address, and I'll send it to you. I read it literally before most everyone else - I have a "pre-release" paperback from the BEA a couple years ago. Everyone I have tried to give it to already now owns it, or had read it, and it's a good book! I'd be happy to send my copy along for you to either keep or pass along.

guster girl
04-10-2004, 08:21 PM
I laughed throughout the entire film (Big Fish), and, cried like a baby at the end. I love the scene in the bathtub. And, Frankenweenie is awesome! THat kid is so cute (from Neverending Story), I wonder what he's up to! :) Steve Buscemi is awesome, I loved him in Fargo. The Coen Bros' new film, Ladykillers, is really entertaining, too...

guster girl
04-10-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
I've also read Those Lovely Bones and while it is a bit depressing and sad it is very good and I quite liked it.

I've also read Seabiscuit and it was good, but for a true racing story I prefer Ruffian. That is a great book. :)

I have a book on Ruffian! :) I also saw a clip about the race that killed her in a made for TV movie called "Alex: the life of a child". I can't remember when the movie was on TV, but, it was based on a true story, and, it was one of my favorites growing up. It's sad, but, good. But, yeah, alex, the little girl, is really upset when she sees the race. It's an intense part in the movie. If you haven't watched the movie, Phar Lap, you should. It's really good, too! It's about an Australian race horse. I love horse movies and books.

delidog
04-10-2004, 11:20 PM
I Loved the spoof on Fargo in Big Fish
also,Twin Falls Idaho
I will have to check out Ladykillers..love the Coen bros.Films too

Dear Ruffian
One of the Saddest Days at Belmont.....
Dr.John Steele was her surgeon...So Sad!!!!!