PDA

View Full Version : Groomer or Do it yourself?

teenster3
04-04-2004, 11:39 PM
I have my Lhasa Apso groomed at a pet store. I can barely brush his hair, let alone clip his nails...he tries to bite me. My Eskie hasn't had to be taken to a groomer yet. I've only had her for about a month. She's pretty good letting me clip her nails and brush her. I'll probably start taking them in together from now on though. Geez, does anyone else have the problem of having long-haired dogs? How do you keep them looking nice and not matted???

wolf_Q
04-04-2004, 11:46 PM
Have you tried making the brushing with your Lhasa a positive experience? Give him lots of treats and praise when he's good about it!

Lhasas are high maintenence dogs. To keep him from being matted you will need to thoroughly brush him daily or at least 2-3 times per week.

I'm sure your Eskie will look great after being groomed! They'll also trim up her feet to keep her looking nice and tidy! :)

GoldenRetrLuver
04-05-2004, 12:12 AM
If you think a Lhasa has lots of fur, try grooming a Collie! ;)

My Sable and White Collie, Molly, didn't like to be brushed when we first got her. I brushed her everyday and now she's used to it. Like wolf_Q said, try some positive reinforcement with praise and a few treats. It will take time, but eventually she'll get better. Mine go to the groomers every other month, and I also brush them everyday. They get brushed approximately 15-30 minutes a day, using the undercoat rake once a week. No matts will be seen here! :)

binka_nugget
04-05-2004, 12:31 AM
I haven't brushed mine in almost a week. :o But luckily, they haven't developed any tangles.

Both of my boys are excellent with brushing. It's the nails that they don't like. I found myself getting peeved with Kaedyn once and after getting mad, I told myself to try making it a more enjoyable thing and you know what? It worked. He stopped trying to bite but he still tries to escape. It's nice not losing a hand though..lol.

BitsyNaceyDog
04-06-2004, 04:20 PM
I have a pomeranian. It's a lot less hair than the collies, shelties, and spitz, but I still know what you are talking about. The stand-off coat can be a pain, but I do groom Bitsy myself. I brush her often and cut her nails every couple of weeks. Usually when I cut her nails I also trim the hair on her feet and trim up her hiney pants. She is a good girl.

G.P.girl
04-06-2004, 06:33 PM
i do all Cadburys grooming at home. i don't htin khe would liek goign to a groomer anyway

Pam
04-06-2004, 07:32 PM
I have always had poodles and right now I have a standard and a mini. Bella (my standard) goes to the groomer every six weeks and I groom her in between as well as do her nails so she really gets done every 3 weeks. When we first got her we were doing all the grooming ourselves but I wanted her to become accustomed to someone else.

Ripley is my mini and I have only ever groomed him myself. He is so quick and easy to do (he gets his baths in the kitchen sink :o ) that I can practically have him finished in the amount of time it would take me to drive to the groomer's and back. :)

Andiphant
04-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Huey is very low maintenance but when we do try to brush him he always rolls over onto his back for a tummy rub so we don't get much brushing done. :D

Dogz
04-15-2004, 06:44 PM
I groom Prince myself. I brought him to a 'groomer' once, and they didn't give us the actual groomer-- just a clerk. :mad:

Prince had gathered mats in his back, and that is why we brought him there in the first place. (If we were going to bring Prince to the groomer for regular grooming, we would have to bring him in at least once a week! :eek: ) Anyway, the 'groomer' didn't use a dematting comb (which we now own), just a regular brush, and RIPPED it out. My poor baby had a bald spot. And she also told us he didn't behave very well. Well no wonder! You were ripping his hair out!

:mad:

G.P.girl
04-15-2004, 06:49 PM
awww poor prince!

Tonya
04-17-2004, 03:22 PM
I do most of the grooming myself. Dusty and Roxy go to the gromers about 2-3 times a year and get shaved there once a year. Sarah isn't finished with her shots, but once she is, I'll take her to the groomer every 4 weeks.

Aspen and Misty
04-17-2004, 05:53 PM
I do all grooming myself. I don't trust Groomers, long story.

I brush Nova, Breeze (dogs), Julian and Jaxom (bunnies) everyday. Nova LOVES to be groomed and Breeze doesn't mind it. Julian and Jaxom would rather not be groomer, but to bad :p I also brush the cats every week.

Ash

Jetta_Pup
04-30-2004, 03:13 PM
I brush jetta every day. But as she gets older and the thick fur comes in ill take her to a groomer as well as brushing her myself everyday untill i can learn more about grooming.

stacwase
04-30-2004, 03:23 PM
I do Jake's grooming myself. He's pretty good about it.

I brush Max, and brush his teeth. But I won't do his toenails. When he sees the nail trimmers he bares his teeth and barks and growls viciously! So I take him to the vet for that.