PDA

View Full Version : Best Friends Animal Sanctuary Meeting <dates>

wolf_Q
04-04-2004, 09:59 PM
These dates are not official, I still have to contact Best Friends and reserve these dates.

Monday August 9: Tour the sanctuary (1 1/2 hours) possibly volunteer after
Tuesday August 10: Volunteer at the sanctuary (grooming, walking, feeding, etc.) Go out to dinner after
Wednesday August 11: Visit a National Park
Thursday August 12: Visit a National Park

There's 4 National Parks within 90 minutes of the Sanctuary: Zions National Park, Bryce Canyon, Lake Powell, and The Grand Canyon.

I didn't make it on a weekend because that gives you driving/flying time, and I'm not sure if they do the tours and volunteering on weekends.

PLEASE let me know if these times ( you are not required to be there all 4 days of course! If you can only make it one day, make it Monday) will work for you. I really need to decide everything soon, it's very hard for Melissa to get time off and the tours fill up fast in the summer. We will most likely be there the weekend before and a couple days after too.

I appreciate any input! :)

Nomilynn
04-05-2004, 01:46 AM
This really wouldn't work for me if I can get the time off :( My time would start August 8th and I need three days to get there, so my first day in Utah would be the 11th or 12th. But, I'm still not positive I can go so if this is the best time for everyone else no worries :)

aly
04-05-2004, 02:57 AM
Its still too early for me to know for sure :(

I will definately try though.

wolf_Q
04-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Honestly I don't know the best time for everyone, I'm not getting much imput! :o

I know it's still early...but I'm obsessive about planning lol. And Melissa really does need to take the time off now.

Ok what about this?

Thursday August 12: Tour the sanctuary (1 1/2 hours) possibly volunteer after
Friday August 13 (eek friday the 13th!): Volunteer at the sanctuary (grooming, walking, feeding, etc.) Go out to dinner after
Saturday August 14: Visit a National Park
Sunday August 15: Visit a National Park

For the NP's I'm voting for Zions and the Grand Canyon or Bryce Canyon...I don't think there's much to do at Lake Powell w/o a boat.

aly
04-05-2004, 10:18 PM
That sounds good Amy! If you're not getting input, I'd just pick a date and hope for the best. I'm sorry I'm one of the ones that can't give a definate answer yet. I'm just at a really transitional time right now and will be finishing school and getting a new job. So its really hard to say.

wolf_Q
04-05-2004, 10:46 PM
I know Aly, I understand...it's very far away too so it's hard to say! Even when things are close it's hard to have definite plans. (ehem..Texas :() Well I told Melissa tonight to just take the dates of Aug 6-Aug 16 off. We won't be gone that long at all, but that way I think it gives us plenty of room to change our minds lol.

Nomilynn
04-05-2004, 11:45 PM
Nathan and I planned out a tentative budget and JUST to get there and stay for three nights we are already looking at about $1200. I'm getting my dad to check on what kind of deals he could get us on hotels but we'll have to see.. it's crazy expensive!! But, those new dates look good. Nate and I would only stay in Kanab for 3 nights unless we can get a really good deal. So, that's the story so far, I'll keep you posted. :)

wolf_Q
04-05-2004, 11:48 PM
Kanab is not a big city....I don't think the hotels down there are very expensive. If you look on their website there's several that give you a discount if you are touring the sanctuary too. Plus that greyhound gang place was pretty cheap!

Nomilynn
04-05-2004, 11:57 PM
Hotels are about 70-80 a night, plus any taxes or whatever. That really adds up. We'll see how it goes.. my parents manage a choice hotel so we are looking into that. I've looked at all the hotel websites on the Best Friend's site and they are all about the same price. :)

wolf_Q
04-06-2004, 12:01 AM
Oh really? I hadn't actually looked up the prices lol. I wonder how much of a discount they'd offer. The greyhound gang is probably the cheapest, it's $55 per night.

Nomilynn
04-06-2004, 12:06 AM
That's true, I haven't looked into the "Best Friend" discounts. After my dad has talked to some hotel managers of other affiliated properties we'll start looking into some other options. Usually, hotels have a 24 hr cancellation policy so we may just reserve and see what happens. I'll keep ya posted :)

Nomilynn
04-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Nathan and I went ahead and made reservations at a Clarion Inn in Kanab for the nights of Aug. 10, 11, 12, 13, leaving the morning of the 14th. We figured, reservations are always cancelable (is that even a word? :p) usually up to only 24hrs in advance. But, even if it was a week's cancellation notice we will definatly know well in advance if we can't make it. So, we have hotel. We got a GREAT rate through my dad so it's much more affordable that way! :D

I really hope this works!

PS - Amy sounds hot on the phone ;) ;)

PPS - my dad said that when he called and made the reservation the lady on the phone said, "Oh are they coming to see the Best Friend's Animal Santuary? People come here all the time to go see that place" so I thought that was kinda cool :D

wolf_Q
04-06-2004, 09:46 PM
:D :D :D :D

Naomi it will be GREAT if you come!!!!!!! I'm so excited! That deal your dad got is excellent, and it sounds like a nice place you'll be staying too!

Well, Best Friends is pretty much the only interesting thing in Kanab lol, the rest of it isn't very exciting! So unless they are down there for the NPs, that's probably the only reason people visit there. Apparently they do get a large crowd in the summer!

PS--Naomi sounds hot on the phone too! :p Call me again sometime ;)

Nomilynn
04-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Here is where we reserved

http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/hotel/UT082

I'm so excited! I really hope this works!!!!! :D

guster girl
04-09-2004, 11:32 AM
This would be really cool. Someone explain what the event here is.....is it just people meeting with their dogs? I'm just curious....

aly
04-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Some people will have their dogs, but I think most might not.

The event is touring and volunteering at Best Friends for the first 2 days, then visiting national parks for the second 2 days.

wolf_Q
04-13-2004, 10:06 PM
Yeah, we'll have 2 dogs with us (Nebo and Lady) but my mom is also coming to watch them. You can't have them at the sanctuary and you can't leave them at the hotel.

Anyone is welcome to bring pets as long as they can figure out what to do with them while at the sanctuary! :)