PDA

View Full Version : The breed for a friend(need help!!)

DogLover9501
04-04-2004, 08:37 PM
I need help picking a good breed for a friend of mine....

A friend of mine/my parents has decided to get a dog, for company(hes a single father) and for a pet and for his daughter to grow up with, shes 10-11 months old.

I think it might be hard because all dogs dont come the way they should for their breed lol, but here goes...

Here is a list he made of what he wants and doesn't want.
-Not a HUGE breed(under 100 or so pounds)
-Not long haired
-Gentle/good with children
-Not super super active(not a dog that doesn't stop)

Any suggestions/questions?

MariaM
04-04-2004, 08:38 PM
Well I've always liked golden retriever, but I'm not sure if it would fit.

Tonya
04-04-2004, 08:44 PM
I've always thought of boxers as excellent family dogs. They are super active though.

Tonya
04-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Others that come to mind...labs, retrievers, pit bulls (bred well)...

Kfamr
04-04-2004, 08:48 PM
Tell him to go to the shelter and take home which ever first steals his heart and fits his "criteria!" :) If he doesn't already have a breed in mind, who cares what breed it is. :)

Dogz
04-04-2004, 08:51 PM
I agree with KayAnn. Don't think about breeds, just go think about the dog itself! :)

binka_nugget
04-04-2004, 08:53 PM
I'll echo Kay. I think a shelter would be a good place. Especially since he has such a young child, it'd be good to find an adult dog who has already gone through the puppy stages and knows how to be around children. It's hard to say how active a puppy will grow to be but with adult shelter dogs, what you see is what you get.

prechrswife
04-04-2004, 08:55 PM
We have basset hounds, which are great kids' dogs. They do fit into his criteria, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind: (1) They are under 100 pounds, but they are not small dogs. They are big dogs with short legs. (2) They do shed, even though they do not have long hair. That said, they make great pets.:)

BitsyNaceyDog
04-04-2004, 09:03 PM
I have always liked a corgi for young child.

DogLover9501
04-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Oh he is definatly getting one from a shelter, but he wanted to know good breeds, that are really good with children and one that would fit him so it would be happy and what not, I suggested a boxer but Jasper has met his baby lol and it didn't go well, he walked all over her, knocked her over, chewed on her, and it just wasn't good, even though he calmed down within a few minutes...