PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice on Apartment

Sevens
04-02-2004, 02:16 PM
My husband and I just got a call today that our landlord will be showing our apartment on Monday. I'm kinda irritated with it, I guess I wish they could wait until after we move out to show it, but I know they can't. Also it's not within our power to tell them not to bring people to look at it.

My question is about our dogs. I know Bailey will bark incessantly just because she wants to lick the people and be friendly. Guinness will bark because these people are strangers and he'll be trying to protect our place. Both of them will be in crates. I am taking time off work so I can take them for a walk while she is showing our apartment. However, who knows how many times they will do this to us before we move in May to our new house? I don't think we'll be able to come home every time.

Would it be a bad idea to put up a sign if we can't be there? Something like "You can come in the bedroom, but don't pester the dogs in the crates?" I really don't know anybody who can get the dogs out of the apartment while we are gone.

Has anybody else here had this experience before? How did you handle it?

NoahsMommy
04-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Gosh, that sure is an inconvience. One time would be tolerable, but more than that is kind of rude...

I would do as you suggested. Its the landlord's fault if people are put off by your dogs, they can wait until you're gone next time. :)

Congrats on the new house! That's exciting!

Cinder & Smoke
04-02-2004, 05:16 PM
How about asking the Landlord to *show* the apartment when
one of you CAN BE THERE - withOUT having to take off work??

Evenings, Saturday, Sunday...
He "should" be able to arrange most of the showings
to fit Your schedules.

Sevens
04-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Well, they won't show it on weekends. These guys are jerks and they only do anything Monday thru Friday, 8am to 5pm. That's one reason why we are moving. These guys are non-responsive, I'll do it when I get around to it, type of jerks. They don't give a darn whether Brian and I work, they are still going to show it.

I think I will put up that sign. They can just deal with the barking!

I can't wait to move into our new house! It's got a huge backyard, two story deck, 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, a finished attic, a big front porch and all the appliances convey. The dogs will have their own playroom for when we are at work. And it's only 10 mins from my work, so I can still let them out at lunch time. We will be moving in around Memorial Day. Here's a picture of the front of the house.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid107/pb05ff9ba0a4705fc1bbc4f3efcc2cc3a/f964881e.jpg

Another great thing about moving there is that our friends we adopted Guinness from lives one street over. I am so excited! :D

Karen
04-02-2004, 07:03 PM
I would do as you mentioned, crate them, but put a sign on the crates asking people not to bother the dogs. Who knows, maybe having the doggers there will be a plus - pet people may take it as a good sign, and decide to move in!

Amber
04-02-2004, 07:52 PM
when we had people look at our house we took our dog with us and just drove around.

Sevens
04-02-2004, 08:48 PM
You're right Karen, that could be a selling point for the apartment. They do have a section on their website that says they are "Pet Friendly" (of course for a $50 a month pet rent and $200 non refundable deposit). I guess this could kind of be proof of that.

Also Amber, I know exactly what you are talking about. When we went to look at the house we are buying, the owners took their dog for a ride too. He's a cute Rottie mix.:)

I know I am probably some kind of nut, but sometimes when the dogs are curled up on the couch with me, I tell them about the new house and how they'll have a huge yard to play in and their own room. I also tell them how much room they'll have to run around the house. I hope they'll transition well and be happy.
:)

Miss Meow
04-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Your new house is gorgeous! I wish we had houses like that here, they have so much character :)

Is inspection of your current place by appointment only? The process here is usually buy the Saturday paper, look for suitable edaces and be there in the specified open house time or miss out. Interesting. I'd be very clear to the real estate agent that no matter how cute the dogs seem, they are to be left alone. I'd also leave a sign.

Good luck.

Tonya
04-02-2004, 10:45 PM
Sevens, do you have any idea how expensive a house that looks like that costs here?! Close to if not over a million dollars! Congratulations on your new home. I wish that I lived somewhere where homes with character were affordable.

Anyways, I would stand up to your land lord. What's he going to do, evict you? Tell him when you will be available and willing to show the apartment, and leave it at that!

lovemyshiba
04-03-2004, 12:18 AM
I think the sign is a good idea. You just never know how people are going to act when they see dogs:rolleyes:

When we were home shopping, I remember looking at a house and going in to look at one of the bedrooms, and there was a dog in a crate in the room. He or she didn't really care that we were there, just looked at us, and continued the nap.

On the other hand, if we were to try to sell, I don't know what I would do with all 4 of my dogs:eek:

Congrats on the new house!!!!!

Sevens
04-03-2004, 02:00 AM
Miss Meow, unfortunately they show by appointment only and occasionally have an open house....but only during the work week.

Thanks for the congrats on the house everybody!

It's really neat, the house was built in 1916 and it's been saved a lot on the inside, lots of crown moulding, original hardwood floors, pocket doors, fireplace.

It's in a section of town that is considered "up and coming". Let's just say that I won't be taking Bailey and Guinness for their 10PM walk by myself like I do now. But that won't be totally necessary cause we will have a backyard.

Tonya, I can't believe it, a million dollars?!?!? We got this house for less than $125,000. That's one thing I love about living where I live. There is such a range on housing costs.. If I go one street over from where I live now, the old houses in the Fan District cost a million...easy. But then go 5 mins. north and you are in the neighborhood we'll be in and nothing is over $140,000.

NoahsMommy
04-03-2004, 04:20 PM
Your house is gorgeous!!!

lizbud
04-03-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Sevens

I know I am probably some kind of nut, but sometimes when the dogs are curled up on the couch with me, I tell them about the new house and how they'll have a huge yard to play in and their own room. I also tell them how much room they'll have to run around the house. I hope they'll transition well and be happy.
:)

I think that's so neat.:) I'll bet they love their new place &
I hope you do too. It is a gorgeous house. Best of luck with the
move.:) Hope the comings & goings of people throught the Apt.
don't stress the poochies.