PDA

View Full Version : My worst nightmare

catnapper
04-01-2004, 07:04 PM
Today was a fairly warm day. I opened the balcony door for the boys to go out. I looked out when it started to rain and didn't see either of them so I shut the door. A few hours passed and I hadn't seen Pouncer but didn't think anything about it because he tends to find hidey holes to nap in.

Then my husband went to leave the house and found Pouncer sitting on the back step with is tail all puffed out and he was covered in dirt. He had fallen off the balcony! He wasn't hurt, but his one nail was bleeding. I guess he started to fall and tried to grab the ledge with his claws. He's not hurt otherwise, but was filthy. I gave him a bath (traumatic to say the least) and haven't seen him at all... but this time I know he's in the house.

How long was he out there before we noticed? Gosh, we live right off a busy street, he could have gotten hit! My mind is racing with everything that could have happened!

moosmom
04-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Catnapper,

What COULD have happened really isn't important. The main thing is Pouncer is home, a little less for wear, but home.

His pride is probably a little bruised because he was dirty and out in the rain. He'll get over it.

Glad he's back home and safe!!

sirrahbed
04-01-2004, 07:45 PM
oh my gosh! my worst nightmare as well!! Probably many of us:( It made my stomach roll to read all about it. Just so glad all is well, and like moosmom said - bruised pride and dirty - but home and safe. It can just happen in a second!! Thankfully, mine do not seem very interested in the door, but they have not yet experienced warm weather either. On nicer days, I let them ouit in our enclosed patio with screens open, but then I worry about them knocking out a screen.
Anyway, so glad Pouncer is safe!! Guess you have a new grey hair or two!!:rolleyes:

kimlovescats
04-01-2004, 07:57 PM
Oh WOW, Kim .... I am sooooooo happy that sweet Pouncer didn't break any bones or anything! Poor baby .... and poor worried Meowmmy!!!

((((( Hugs to you BOTH)))));)

Lixx
04-01-2004, 08:08 PM
Poor Pouncer!!!! So glad he's back inside!

jazzcat
04-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Oh poor Pouncer! I'm glad he is okay and safe in the house now.

It's one of my worst nightmares too.

AmberLee
04-02-2004, 01:07 AM
So glad the little guy's safe and sound!

trayi52
04-02-2004, 01:18 AM
OMG catnapper, I bet that was just plain scarey thinking about what could have happened! Thank god your husband found him out there before he regained his composure and decided to go exploring!

Poor Pouncer, sitting in the rain and wondering what the heck happened. Maybe he will be more careful about getting so close to the edge next time.

I'm glad he is okay, glad you are too!

Willie:)

Barbara
04-02-2004, 01:51 AM
This is why we have a netting at our balcony. It looks like a soccer goal:( but my boys are safe. Filou the fearless railing acrobat would have fallen too I am sure.

I am so glad that Pouncer was so clever to wait for daddy to let him in again.:)

Randi
04-02-2004, 07:41 AM
Oh Pouncer - what a scare! :eek:

I'm glad he's safe and sound! :) How far down is it, and what's the surface? Hopefully soft!

catcrazylady
04-02-2004, 08:02 AM
OMG!!! What a blessing that it all turned out ok!! What a scary scary thing! I'm sure your mind is racing with all the bad things that could have happened but thankfully he is ok. You would like to think that he might have learned a lesson from this but I guess we all really no better than that don't we?http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif

catnapper
04-02-2004, 08:26 AM
Sigh, my boy just loves to be outside. I like the soccer goal idea! Since my family is soccer nuts, it only makes sense, right?:D

The blacony is on the second floor - not too long of a drop. I'm sure he fell from the gutter, since there's where he almost fell from a month ago. Under the getter is concrete with conrete steps centered under the balcony. Pouncer always hangs out in the gutter along the edge, so if he fell, it was onto straight concrete.:eek: Try as I might, he LOVES to sit in the gutter and I can't convince him that this is a bad place to be.

He was so filthy (cobwebes & caked on mud) that I think he sought refuge in my neightbor's storm cellar during the storm and emerged when it stopped and sat on our back steps waiting to be let in.

Here's a small video I made a few weeks ago of him on the oproch. you can get an idea of what it looks like and how high.

Barbara
04-02-2004, 08:32 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/p9d8fd6e9111712b2588e8544018e6ec0/fb7050e1.jpg

Here you can see the net in the background. We have a wooden roof over the balcony where it is fixed:)

Cataholic
04-02-2004, 08:32 AM
Oh, Catnapper, you must have been out of your mind with worry. Thank GOD nothing happened to poor little Pouncer. I agree, what **could** have happened is best left alone.

It does remind us all that things do happen, and we all need to be careful with the little guys.

Gentle hugs to Pouncer ;)

Killearn Kitties
04-02-2004, 08:40 AM
Oh Pouncer! What a nasty experience you had. Ask meowmie to give that poor toe a kiss better from all of us.

Does Pouncer's claw seem alright? The reason I am asking is that the cat across the road from us ripped a nail once and after a little while an infection set in and he had to have his toe amputated. Micky (the cat in question) is absolutely fine, it doesn't cause him any trouble at all. Having said that, I have no idea how you would ensure that a wound on a cat was properly cleaned out.

Headbumpies to Pouncer.

catmandu
04-02-2004, 08:56 AM
Thank god , Pouncer wasnt hurt. When I lived in an apartment , I hd the balcony enclosed , as Barbara does , with netting. We are glad that Pouncer is OK.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-02-2004, 09:31 AM
Whew! What a scare for you and for Pouncer! I know this probably won't be the case, but maybe, hopefully, he learned something - like staying on the balcony instead of the gutter is better than being locked outside in a rain storm for who knows how long. I'm sooo glad he knew where to come home to though. Pouncer you naw-tee boy, give your meowmy special kissies for making her worry so much about you!

catnapper
04-02-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Killearn Kitties
Does Pouncer's claw seem alright? The reason I am asking is that the cat across the road from us ripped a nail once and after a little while an infection set in and he had to have his toe amputated. Micky (the cat in question) is absolutely fine, it doesn't cause him any trouble at all. Having said that, I have no idea how you would ensure that a wound on a cat was properly cleaned out.

Yikes! Now I'm going to worry about infection. I checked his paw first thing this morning and it seemed fine. You can see the blood down the nail shaft. I gave him a bath to get rid of the dirt for two reasons - 1 because I was thinking about possible fleas (its early, but you never know) 2 because I didn't want any unseen cuts to get infected. I wonder if I should dip his paw in some antiseptic?

Barbara: your balcony is absolutely GORGEOUS! Since we don't have a roof or overhang, I can't make anything like that... but trust me, I'm going to devise something to keep my boy from falling again.

T&Ps mom: do you think he learned his lesson? When I went to load my car this morning, I left the door open for Nicki to follow me out and do her business. Pouncer used to sit by the door and scardy-cat look out. He might have tentatively tried to step onto the steps, but all I'd have to do is say, "NO" and he'd step back in. This morning, he started to run for it. Nicki's a good cat-hearder and blocked his way out (she does that with Allen too.:D ) He ran back in and hid. I have a feeling my telling him "BAD CAT" didn't strike any fear into him:rolleyes: