PDA

View Full Version : New Microchips May Cause Big Problems

QueenScoopalot
03-31-2004, 08:30 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1080564993279420.xml This can create an awful lot of problems IMO.:(

kuhio98
03-31-2004, 08:38 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrr! :mad:

Before getting our kitties chipped (Avid) we checked with the shelters and our vet to find out what kind of scanners they have. I've even taken them to the shelter and had them scanned just to make sure they had batteries in the blasted thing.

I guess I'll be checking with the shelter and the vet about this type of scanner.

One more thing to have to worry about. :mad:

catnapper
03-31-2004, 08:42 PM
Thank you for letting me know this. I am looking into it for Pouncer since he won't wear a collar and its his new thrill to slip outside. I'd die to know that I'd protected him and then the protection wasn't effective.

QueenScoopalot
03-31-2004, 08:43 PM
I think you can rest assured your kitties are fine. It's so far just in Oregon (though who knows where adopted cats will end up). I'd certainly stick with the two well known chips Avid & Home Again where scanners are readily available! ;)

moosmom
03-31-2004, 11:38 PM
Two of my kitties are microchipped. Thanks for posting the story. I'm going to call the shelter tomorrow to see what kind they have and if there will be a problem.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-01-2004, 09:15 AM
I don't understand why the change was even made. Is this new chip "better" in some way? It just makes no sense to make a change like that without a good reason. They did say this:

He says many clients whose animals are implanted with the new chip are delighted to learn that their animals are protected if they get lost while traveling in Europe, Canada, Japan and Australia.

Well give me a break!! How many people in the US travel in Europe, Japan or Australia with their pets? :eek: :rolleyes: I can understand Canada because I'm sure the people who live near the border would appreciate that, but Europe, Japan and Australia? sheesh :rolleyes:

Other than that, I didn't see any big benefits listed. Are they doing it because the manufacturer is giving it to them free and the others they have to buy?

It would just be interesting to know WHY the switch is being made. :confused:

catmandu
04-01-2004, 10:46 AM
I have never had my Cats micro chipped , the only ones that I might do it to are JJJ3 and Moose , as the other Cats raelly dont go out , and once the porches are enclosed , even JJJ3 and the Moose will stay put , I pray!

Freckles
04-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Here's (http://www.oregonhumane.org/news/Identification_news_oregonhumanesociety.htm) a link to an Oregon Humane Society News Release. In the article, click on "microchip" link for reasons why they changed to the new system.

QueenScoopalot
04-01-2004, 03:52 PM
I wonder what would happen if two different chips were injected? Would it screw up the scanner, or doubly protect? Hmmm:confused: I know it would be pricey, but for someone with only a few cats it may be a matter of life or death. Jan

Catsnclay
04-01-2004, 04:56 PM
WHY you ask.........the reason: money. Plain & simple.