PDA

View Full Version : Future career?

minkyboodle
03-31-2004, 02:32 PM
I'm almost 21 and I'm in college...I've been thinking alot about my future and what I want to do as a career. My majors are Computer Science and Applied Mathematics. I really dunno if I want to go in those areas anymore. I definately plan on finishing my majors, I feel it would be stupid to just stop now while I'm almost done.

I've thought about teaching, about programming, even thinking about doing something not related to any of those.

I love to groom my min poodle myself and my mom's poodle. I really enjoy animals and I LOVE to work with them. I'm currently trying to get a part time job at Petsmart to be a bather so I can get the feeling of dog grooming down, I think I ight want to do that...

anyone have any suggestions? Anyone a groomer or a programmer or anything of the above things I mentioned...I'm really confused on what I want to do and I'm looking for advice and experienced people so i can question them :-p

thanks!!

2kitties
03-31-2004, 02:44 PM
Well, I know that if you don't do a job you love, that's a whole lot of years to be unhappy!

However, I'll add that if you want a JOB, programming is HOT.
Also weight what you want to get from your career. I mean, is the pay a factor. Because programming is certainly going to afford you more than dog grooming. But if you're miserable being a programmer, then it doesn't seem worth it, you know.

aly
03-31-2004, 10:26 PM
Well I started out school as a computer science major. I went into it strictly for the money. I actually did like programming, but not doing it for any of my classes. I became pretty miserable. I had to sit back and evaluate what I wanted in life. I chose happiness and decided to also major in Management.

I've been doing internships and workshops for canine behavior though because that is what I REALLY want to do. Although I won't make as much money as I would if I was a programmer, at least I will be happy.

You've just gotta sit back and think about what you want out of life. The answer will become clear :)

Good luck!

minkyboodle
04-01-2004, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the advice, money is sorta an issue with me, I would like to have enough money to live in a nice house without worrying about bills all the time, I also want horses :-p What I really would love to do is to run a rescue type operation but that costs money and I dunno how to even go about getting it besides working up and saving.

I still can't help but wonder if I could work part time programming and part time grooming! Oi...I don't want to grow up!!