PDA

View Full Version : Tilly (Rescue) had her kittens!!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-31-2004, 09:51 AM
Tilly, the grey kitty I trapped on Saturday, who was VERY pregnant, had her kittens last night. As it happened during the night I was not able to be there, but what a relief that I trapped her in time - another few days and the story may not have been quite as happy!

Talk about a SMALL litter - she only had 2 - which is great news - she will be able to cope, and the kittens should be able to thrive, so no need to "downsize the litter, "which I was dreading.

They are gorgeous. I havent touched them yet - she is very protective. She is Grey and White (looks a bit like Edwina), and her kittens are both grey - but I don't think they are a solid grey - they look tabby-ish!

I KNOW the next request "WHERE ARE THE PICTURES"- I PROMISE as soon as my husband returns from Germany with my camera, I will have some pic's to share!:D :D :D

jazzcat
03-31-2004, 10:00 AM
Great news!!! So glad you helped her.:)

Can't wait for the pictures.

Corinna
03-31-2004, 10:25 AM
so glad for capture and small litter must be large kittens. will wait for pictures soon what patiently

K & L
03-31-2004, 10:30 AM
Oh how sweet. Maybe it was a small litter since she was a kitten herself!

Logan
03-31-2004, 10:35 AM
Oh, Julie, suck up that Kitty breath for me, please. I'm so glad everything went ok. Hugs to you for doing such a noble deed!!! :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-31-2004, 11:13 AM
Hubby, you need to return home immediately!! ;) :D

I'm so glad everything went ok and she only had two - "downsizing the litter," what an awful thought. <shudder> But I know your situation so I understand completely.

Can't wait for pics of the new babies! :D

NoahsMommy
03-31-2004, 11:42 AM
Yea!!! Congrats Tilly. :)

catlover4ever
03-31-2004, 02:12 PM
You did a wonderful thing by helping get her off the streets just in time. I can hardly wait to see some pictures.

Miss Meow
03-31-2004, 03:54 PM
Congratulations!

They sound like real little sweethearts. Can't wait for pics :D

Cataholic
03-31-2004, 05:40 PM
Yeah for Tilly! And, hurry up to you with the photos.:D

QueenScoopalot
03-31-2004, 06:00 PM
Whoa!! Talk about a close call! Good job, and perfect timing...congrats to new mama Tilly too! :)

leslie flenner
03-31-2004, 06:50 PM
What a great story! Thank goodness you did what you did when you did!
I never heard of "downsizing" a litter! why would that ever be necessary? Kittens are easy to find homes for (maybe not where you are?)

IttyBittyKitty
04-01-2004, 04:33 AM
Wow, a litter of two ... that means you only have to find two forever homes!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-01-2004, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by leslie flenner

I never heard of "downsizing" a litter! why would that ever be necessary? Kittens are easy to find homes for (maybe not where you are?)

There are a couple of reasons for doing this:

1. To ensure that the number of kittens in the shelter remains manageable, whilst giving each kitten the best chance of being homed.

2. To ensure the viability of the kittens - with large litters born to strays there may be problems with the kittens failing to thrive, or the Mom not producing enough milk, due to being malnourished
(I DO feed these cats daily, but it is impossible to monitor when each cat has eaten - although I Free-feed them, so food and fresh water is available 24 hours a day.

Kittens here in Bahrain are NOT easy to find homes for. Many people here prefer Persians or other pedigrees, and although the Dilmun is a breed in it's own right, you see them in every dumpster on the island, so demand for the kittens is not high.

There are also some "cultural" issues with the local population regarding pets, their care, and spaying, so kittens (and puppies) are in constant over-supply here. (Remember Bahrain is a small Island - 50km long, by 20km wide, with a TOTAL population of 700 000!!!

catmandu
04-01-2004, 10:51 AM
the Found Cat are so glad that you were able to help that Poor mommy Cats , and get her to a safe place , where she could have her little Ones , in peace , and in Safety , and they Salute You , Mom Cat and New Arrivals! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOWW!

catnapper
04-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Congratulations on saving mommy in the nick of time. Thank you also for explaining what the animal population is like on the island. Sometimes I forget how different the rest of the world is from the US.

leslie flenner
04-01-2004, 07:38 PM
What's a Dilmun? Anyone on pettalk got a picture? Never heard of it!
Well that's too bad about the "downsizing" business! Must be so hard to pick out who gets, you know, picked...I sure wouldn't want to be the one with that responsibility!
thanks for answering!!Ooooops! Someone ate too fast and is puking, gotta run before the 2 semi-ferals start to eat it! (although I suppose it's ok that they do...YUCK).

kimlovescats
04-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Thank you for caring for the mom cat and her precious newborns! PICTURES PLEASE!;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-02-2004, 09:05 AM
What's a Dilmun? Anyone on pettalk got a picture? Never heard of it!

Leslie, the pic in Ally Cat's Mommy's sig is Ally, who is a Dilmun. I don't know much about the breed, but from what she says they are quite common in Bahrain, and looked down on by the human population who prefer Persians. I'm sure ACM will be able to provide more info once she sees your question. :)

leslie flenner
04-02-2004, 07:34 PM
I think Ally (and Dilmun's) are quite attractive! Thanks for the info!!! I wonder why so common there and yet I never heard of them? (or maybe I just haven't been paying attention?- I don't recall any at the Friskie's cat show a couple years back..).
Again, thank you! I love learning new things!

IttyBittyKitty
04-03-2004, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Leslie, the pic in Ally Cat's Mommy's sig is Ally, who is a Dilmun. I don't know much about the breed, but from what she says they are quite common in Bahrain, and looked down on by the human population who prefer Persians. I'm sure ACM will be able to provide more info once she sees your question. :)

Ahh, now the pieces are falling together! I always thought Ally had a certain "exotic" look about her, she sure is a pretty girl!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-03-2004, 05:53 PM
I wonder why so common there and yet I never heard of them?

I kind of wondered that myself. I never heard of them until Ally showed up here. See, you learn something new everyday here on PT. ;) :D

Kirsten
04-04-2004, 02:44 PM
I'm happy for Tilly that she came to your home, and that she could have her precious babies in such a safe place!

I bet they're looking adorable! :)

Of course I would love to see pictures, but I can understand that you're respecting her mommie's wish not to touch them...

Kirsten

sirrahved
04-04-2004, 04:09 PM
I think Ally (and Dilmun's) are quite attractive! Thanks for the info!!! I wonder why so common there and yet I never heard of them? (or maybe I just haven't been paying attention?- I don't recall any at the Friskie's cat show a couple years back..).
Again, thank you! I love learning new things!

From my research, they are not "so common" and in fact only exist in Bahrain! (maybe why we've never heard of them?) They seem to be a natural breed. here's a link:
http://www.internationalspecialreports.com/middleeast/00/bahrain/21.html

QueenScoopalot
04-04-2004, 04:58 PM
Sure wish we had a few in the U.S! What an exotic gorgeous looking animal. :) They have a wild cat look about them! Thanks for the link...Jan :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-05-2004, 02:49 PM
Sorry for the delay in replying, I have had 12 house-guests here during the Formula 1 Grand Prix, and the last of them only left today, so I haven't had time to get online.

The link which sirrahved posted is one of the few articles about them on the internet. We are hoping that they will be recognised as a breed, although here in Bahrain we have cat shows exclusively for Dilmuns, and when we have our regular annual cat show, Dilmuns compete in their own "breed" catagory.

Here are some other Dilmuns in my garden at my previous house

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/pd8362fa5c053db11ce1c526ef1ebebd9/fbaac35e.jpg

leslie flenner
04-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Ya know, they look like tabbys with spots for tabby lines (spots in lined order!). Whenever we see a cat like that around here, it's like, oh my god what beautiful markings on that cat! The markings are certainly not common here and they all look so beautiful in the pictures! What's the personality like?

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-08-2004, 05:43 AM
Leslie,

Their personalities are great. They are extremely loyal, and VERY territorial (an I learned to my detriment after bringing Connor home - Ally has still not forgiven me, and it was 5 months ago!)

Although there are thousands of them living as ferels, some strays have grown up with human contact, and are gentle and loving. They make fantastic pets, and are very good with children.

I am hoping to go to the Annual Cat Show here in Bahrain today, and hope to have some pics to share with you later today! (We are having a VERY busy day at home, as my hubby is in-between business trips, so I am hoping to get down there for an hour or two later on!