PDA

View Full Version : Any RN's out there???

NoahsMommy
03-30-2004, 07:04 PM
After all this hospital stuff, I've given some thought to maybe becoming an RN. I still have my goal of earing my PhD in psychology, but I think this would be quicker for now and it'd give me the fullfillment I desire.

I LOVE helping people and making them feel better. I know I could do it and I really think I'd like it.

Anyone with any experience or advice?

Thank you. :)

wolfsoul
03-30-2004, 07:40 PM
I hope I don't sound stupid, but what's an RN?

Shelteez2
03-30-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I hope I don't sound stupid, but what's an RN?

Registered Nurse I believe....

NoahsMommy
03-30-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
Registered Nurse I believe....
Yep, you're right. :)

Karen
03-30-2004, 07:48 PM
Our pillar Sandra (tatsxxx11) is a nurse, probably an RN ...

tatsxxx11
03-30-2004, 08:06 PM
Yup, RN, BSN. Kelly, I just got your note! Be writing you soon! (You go girl...you're amazing!:))

Miss Meow
03-30-2004, 08:14 PM
I think you have the intelligence and personality to tackle any vocation, especially in a job that helps other people.

On the day to day side, how will your body cope with shiftwork, and the stress of managing ill patients and stressed relatives? Could you do some work experience as part of your psych studies?

NoahsMommy
03-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
I think you have the intelligence and personality to tackle any vocation, especially in a job that helps other people.

On the day to day side, how will your body cope with shiftwork, and the stress of managing ill patients and stressed relatives? Could you do some work experience as part of your psych studies?
That's a really great point. My mom asked about that too. ;)

My stress comes from within, not other people. I'm incredibly hard on myself and have an innate desire to help others. If I'm not doing so, I get stressed out and sick. I know it sounds wierd, but that's how my brain works. It will be a stressful job, but that type of stress is where I excel.

:D

Miss Meow
03-30-2004, 10:24 PM
If that's the case, then I think you should look into it! I'm glad you didn't misinterpret my comments; I was concerned that I hadn't articulated myself properly :o

krazyaboutkatz
03-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Kelly, I'm sure you'd make a wonderful RN.:)
After I graduated from high school I thought that I wanted to be a nurse. I was in a 2 year nursing program but it was too stressful for me so I dropped out. My grades weren't very good either. I think that I was still too immature for a program like this. I'm sure you'll do just fine though. Good luck and please keep us updated.:)

Corinna
03-31-2004, 12:39 AM
I come from along line of RN's would have been 5th generation but I chose animals in stead. (don't whine as much) it is a good base my mom has added on so many times to her training and gotten all kinds of intresting and fun jobs,becoude she had her RN. In fact right now shes training for water arthrits therapy instructor. It helped her get out of the wheel chair she had been in for 2 years. She talked to the pool (YMCA) about it and becouse of her nursing training she was given a spot in a full up class. Be fore her heart attacks ended her career she was training to be the activities director at the care facilty she was working at. She had just finished doing restortive therapy training too.
It can take you to many different feilds of work, plus right now there is a huge shortage in most states . lots of places are learning if you pay well you get good staying help.
Go for it girl and enjoy it as an adventure.

catnapper
03-31-2004, 08:10 AM
I come from a long line of RNs too... I am the first to not go into the "family business" and broke my grandmom's heart (:( )

Nursing is a great career choice... and its a booming field right now. Some days I wish I had followed in the family tradition and gone into nursing - the hospital right down the stret is BEGGING for nurses! My Sister-in-laws are both nurses and they love their jobs! Go for it!!!!:D

G.P.girl
03-31-2004, 09:03 AM
my aunt was an RN and she loved it, she's thinking about getting her license again and goign back to work once the kids start school and are a little older

Maresche
03-31-2004, 01:57 PM
My mother was a RN until her health forced her to seek another career and she threatened to disown me if I looked into becoming one.

The ideals behind the job are very admirable ones, but the ideals and the actual job are very different.

Be prepared to put in long shifts because someone else calls in sick or because the hospital is chronically short staffed (most hospitals are)

Be prepared to be limited in the care you can provide by a lot of red tape put up by health insurance companies and legal concerns.

Be prepared to spend a lot of your time (for some, up to 50%) filling out paperwork of varying natures.

If you feel you can deal with these issues and still enjoy your work as an RN, go for it! RN are very much in demand right now, due to aging baby boomers. If this is the path you choose for yourself and need a hand finding a job, let me know. I know a great medical headhunter, my mother :D