PDA

View Full Version : What do you talk to your cats about?

RICHARD
03-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Do you converse with your cats?

And what kind of conversations do you have?
---------------------------------
I always ask the Edster questions like,

"What am I going to do about......"

catland
03-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Somehow - the conversations always seem to be around their comfort. Either that, or it involves complimenting them.

Examples include:

"Are you hungry?"

"Aww - you are so cute."

"What - no one's fed you yet? You poor thing, your ribs are poking out."

"What? You want me to shake your food?"

"Yes, we love YOU the best of all the kitties."

catnapper
03-30-2004, 02:48 PM
Usually, I ask one word, "What?" and its said in a sing-singy voice.

Other conversations:
I usually tell them they've already been fed.
"Where's your brother?"
of course I tell them how handsome they are and what good boys they are
They also know what I mean when I tell them I'm opingin the door to the balcony

Craftlady
03-30-2004, 02:54 PM
Where's your sister or brother (depending on whom I speaking to at the time)

Kisses for mom.

Good Night, Mom Loves You, You were good (boy/girl) today. You sleep well, I see you in the morning.

Mom's Home.

I tell them where I'm going when I leave the house. They need to be good.

Don't torment your sister/brother.

Just general conversations. :)

catcrazylady
03-30-2004, 02:57 PM
I have lots of conversations with my cats. As a matter of fact I'm talking to one or more of them all the time. Most of the time they go something like this...

You're momma's baby and I love you so much...*smooch*

Why do you always want me to pet you when I'm on the toilet?

No I'm not opening the window...It's freezing outside!

Who pooped on the floor?

Leroy why do you make me yell at you for something right before you crawl into my lap?

You are the most adorable furby in the whole world! *another smooch*

This is said night after night after night after night....
Why do you have to stick your nose in my plate? Do I stick my nose in your food when your trying to eat? http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif

Twink
03-30-2004, 03:20 PM
Let’s see . . . there’s the standard mushy stuff:

“Who’s Mommy’s good little pumpkin, huh?”
“Rizzo . . .he’s such a pretty boy, is Rizzo….”
“Awwww, does he want a hug? Can Mama pick you up? Gimme kissy!”

And then there are the slightly less nauseating rhetorical questions:

“Where’s that Daddy? You miss Daddy, dontcha?” (he’s not happy until we’re BOTH home)
“Mommy’s not very bright, is she?” (after I have stubbed my toe or some such thing)
“What do you think, Rizz? Should I clean or play computer games?”

Statements on his character:

“You’re really a good kitty. You know that, don’t you?”
“You’re very strange, sweetheart.”
“You are an obsession! You’re my obsession!” (the 80’s song “Obsession,” by goodness knows who, which I sing as I pick up his THREE seals and toss them back into the loft in the mornings!)

And, in more exasperating moments:

“Must you, Rizzo?”
“Why do you run in front of me from out of nowhere? You like being kicked, don’t you?!”
“No cats in the closet. No cats in Daddy’s sink. No cats in the closet….” (repeat as necessary, all morning while getting ready for work!)

trayi52
03-30-2004, 03:26 PM
Politics of course!;)

Nah, she doesn't understand that, so I pretty much talk to her about her food, how she sounds like a little baby goat sometimes, though that could be interpeted as politics? Hmmm, Grover is talking politics. Well anyway she sounds like a little baby goat when she answers certain questions.

Willie:)

sirrahbed
03-30-2004, 04:27 PM
I talk to my kitties all the time. Most of it is much too nauseating to type out here. Other times I just talk to them mindlessly and ask their opinion about what I should cook for dinner, ask for reasons why I should NOT get up and go exercise, sometimes I boohoo and tell them my troubles. They are terrific therapists. As for politics - of course their views are exactly like MINE and they are perfectly correct.;)

Cataholic
03-30-2004, 04:32 PM
I couldn't really spell what I talk to my kitties about. It is a very strange language, that they understand. It usually focuses on their well being, who loves them the most, and that they are just the absolute bestest kitty in the whole world!

RedHedd
03-30-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I couldn't really spell what I talk to my kitties about. It is a very strange language, that they understand. It usually focuses on their well being, who loves them the most, and that they are just the absolute bestest kitty in the whole world! LOL! Ditto! I tell them they are the cutest cats in the whole world and I love them SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH! Bunches of Much Muches .... :rolleyes: :p

Of course, Mishi ALWAYS has to reply. He has his own special language and at times I think he thinks he's REALLY saying something to me .... perhaps he is?

Don Juan's mom
03-30-2004, 05:50 PM
"Hey! When I wash down there, do I make YOU watch?"

"Yes, I'd like to stay home and play with you, too. But I have to go to work so I can keep a roof over your head and food in your bowl."

"C'mon, off the keyboard."

"What is this? Just because I'm getting myself a treat, that means you get a treat too?" (He usually does.) :rolleyes:

And of course,

"Mmm, I love you too." :)

Liz

carole
03-30-2004, 05:51 PM
Everything and Anything, they are great listeners, and they don't interrupt, differ with my opinion,argue, or annoy, I always chat to my furbaby's as it is often just the three of us alone together during the weekdays.

joker98
03-30-2004, 06:08 PM
I keep asking one of my cats about the other.

-Dallas, where is Dusty? Is he doing something naughty again?

-Dusty, why is Dallas acting like a mental patient?

-C'mon Dusty, I know Dallas was the one playing with my keys, just tell me where she hid them and I promise I won't punish her!

trayi52
03-30-2004, 07:10 PM
Well I just added another question for Grover, Now Grover where did this little kitty food come from in the bottom of my coffee cup?? And why did you put it there? Its not like I want cat food with my coffee, did I ask for coffee with catfood?? Noooo, I don't do that to my coffee!! And I didn't even taste it!!

Willie

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-31-2004, 12:15 AM
I am NOT going to type out every word - most of it is so smoooshy;)

Most recent was Ď love you, but you need to go sleep somewhere else"- said to Connor at 5 am this morning, when he decided to make biscuits on my FACE!!!

NoahsMommy
03-31-2004, 12:20 AM
hee hee, FUNNY thread!!! :D :D :D

I have way too many cats to relay all we "chat" about. Its quite similair to what's already been said here.

Lots of mooshy stuff.

Micah is my cultural kitty. So I talk to him in French and tell him all about how life will when he and I move to England and we'll study at Oxford. Then, on to Paris...

When I got back from the hospital, each kitty demanded to know where I had been and why I was gone. I had to explain that a bunch of times... ;)

catlover4ever
03-31-2004, 07:04 AM
I'm guilty too. I have conversations with each one of them and with each one the conversation is different for instance I'm always asking Mystic if she wants a back rub and if she enjoyed the back rub. I always tell her Black is Beautiful!!!!:D

Smokey is a real love bug who every night has to walk up my entire body and then sit right on my chest so I'm always telling him how much of a baby he is and asking him if he had a rough day :rolleyes:

Everyday before I leave for work in the moring I seek out each one of them and tell them I'll be back in the evening for some bonding time with each one and that I love them and that they need to behave themselves while I'm gone and especially when their daddy comes home...they don't like to behave when he is around...they tend to drive him crazy.:o

catmandu
03-31-2004, 09:04 AM
I tell them about where I have been , the places that I have eaten at , so they can go there , when they are angels , and all of the cats , thier Pals , that I see on Pet talk , as most ,, if not all of these wonderful cats , have been Partee Guests ,at the Found Hotel.

slick
03-31-2004, 09:25 AM
As well as all the sweet things, they tend to take the brunt of my working rants. That's the great thing about pets; they actually listen to what you have to say.

Edwina's Secretary
03-31-2004, 09:32 AM
I certainly hope the E's don't read this! I have convinced them they are the most beautiful boy and girl kitties in the world and the most loved kitties in the universe. What if they find out other kitties have been told the same thing????

Other frequent refrains....Where's your girlie, boylie? I'm right here Eddie! and Edwina, don't hit Eddie!

rkidsrcats
03-31-2004, 09:47 AM
We talk to the boys a lot, mostly just everyday conversation...whaaaat are you guys doing? Hey, get out of there! Stop harassing the dog.... etc.

We also have little songs for each of them - kind of like little cat-raps or kitty-jingles. Percy gets the "Peapod by Stop&Shop" jingle that we always heard on the radio in Connecticut. Stop & Shop was a local market that had a home delivery service call "Peapod".

I can start a conversation with William by immitating his little squeaky meows that he does when he wants attention. He comes running and sits down beside me and chats away for a couple of minutes. We usually end up talking about the weather ! :p

Pippin talks the most - its his main way of determining who is around, does anyone want to play and how long before the next snack. He wanders the house, meowing and "talkin' smack" until someone decides to take up the challenge and start a hallway race. Or feed him...:D

I try to tell Normy positive things ("lookin' good Normer, what a good guy you are!") so he gains confidence in himself - I think I have a different tone of voice when I'm doing it and he always responds by coming over for some rubs and pets.

Of course the questions that get the most blank stares are:
"who urrpped up on the carpet?, Where did this sock come from?, Why are my CD's on the floor when I left them on the shelf this morning?":D :D

Logan
03-31-2004, 10:38 AM
What a great question, Richard!! We talk about everything with our two!!! :D

The funniest moments are with Helen and Butter. She loves to make him "talk", so as he's waiting for her to open the door to come into the house, she starts asking him all kinds of questions and he gives her those Meezer answer "Yeowwww". You know what I mean!!! :D

Corinna
03-31-2004, 10:56 AM
Just about like every one every thing. the funniest one happened about 4 years ago . (family still gives me a bad time about it. ) I have a habit of talking to my self as well as the animals (once read it was a sign of a writers creativty, freinds say i'm just crazy) I had been looking for the old guy (winky) couldn't find him ater 20 mintues he suddenly appeared like just poff he was there. so i asked him where he came from. (being in aweird mood) I anwsered my self from a momma cat of course. I didn't realise my son was standing there. I had to b pick him up off the floor from laughing so hard. (ever tried picking up a 15year old thats laughing)
The other funny around here needs back gound.
Winky was named after the boy saw the old movie the Escape to Witch Mouintain.
and my son is so different from us he kids around that he is a spy from another planet obsevring us. so every night we as if they have filed their reports. winky usually meows back at that time.
sorry to ramble to answer the question yes I do

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-31-2004, 11:30 AM
Great thread! :D :D

I talk about all the usual mushy stuff too.

Peanut is the most precious little girl kitty ever, and Tubby is the most precious big boy kitty ever - said while smooching them as much as they'll allow. And I'm always asking them where's your brother/sister, doesn't he/she want treats too? Which brings up the most common question - who wants treats? And this one is usually said to Peanut, What am I going to with your daddy? (after he's had a bout of silliness and even she is looking at him like he's off his rocker ;) :D ).

Then I always say Hi to them when I come home and they great me at the door, and give each of them a smooch before I leave. Oh, and another one for Peanut since she misses her daddy so when he's out of town is "Don't worry, daddy will be home tonight."

Hello big boy, how're you doing today? Awww, is your tummy upset? Oh that nasty tummy. Come here and give me smoochies and that'll make your tummy feel better.

What's out there? Are you checking out your territory? (as he's looking out the back windows)

Hello sweetie pie, smooch, smooch, smooch. Where's your mousie? Do you want a fresh mousie? Ok, hold on, here's a fresh mousie for you.

Oh, and to Tubby when he's at the bottom of the stairs, looking up, yowling like he's about to croak any minute - "What are you doing? Why do you do that Tubby? Just come here, you know where we're at. C'mon, come here."

Where's my snotty girl? Hello snots, where's your daddy? You want to go to work don't you. Ok, c'mon, let's go (as I walk up the stairs).

And I could go on and on and on.....

jonza
03-31-2004, 11:47 AM
Hej Fister, din gamle bisse, er du frćk i dag?

Du er sĺ sřd, skal vi lege?

Kan du sĺ holde op med det!!!

I think he understands it as much as most of you do, but it doesn't stop him replying in kind (or staring at me as if I was completely mad, then just walking off).

He has certainly learnt to chatter away at us, and has quite a large vocabulary. I just WISH I could understand what the heck he is trying to tell us sometimes. :confused:

moosmom
03-31-2004, 03:00 PM
My conversations with my cats, for the most part, are one sided.

"Oh MooShoo, I'd LOVE to take you to work with me, but they just won't allow pets in the store!"

"Why can't you kids pick up your toys?"

(After dishing out their absolute FAVORITE canned cat food) "Okay guys, are ya ready Freddie???" Their responses in unison are, "MEEEEEEOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!

"Ohin a low whisper so none of the others can hear _________ (Maya, MooShoo, Doogie, Mollie Rose, Fawnie, Carly, LilEli) you ARE my favorite kitty of all.

"PHEW!!!! Someone took a major dump in here and did NOT cover it!!"

(Stumbling to the bathroom in a REAL hurry) "Get outta my way, I gotta pee NOW!!!"

RICHARD
03-31-2004, 04:19 PM
Time for me to fess up...

Hey, Who's your daddy?
-when i get to the front door.

Come here, you, you, you.....
-When I pick him up to love him.

Daddy's little baby loves shortening, shortening
Daddy's little baby loves shortening bread.
-geez, do I really sing that?

I love you, behave yourself
-As I walk out the door.

Let's go! I'm leaving, I'm going, good bye!
-as we leave mom's house.

----------------------------------

I really don't think that the words make that much of a difference..

I think that the sound of a can opener or a cat food package is the universal language!

aguu
03-31-2004, 04:23 PM
Who loves you?

Who's the cutest kitty in the whole world?
Who's my baby?

Over a thousand times a day!!

moosmom
03-31-2004, 05:50 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot one more thing I do with MooShoo.

Sometimes he likes to lay in my arms on his back like a baby. I will rock him and sing...

"Mr. Mooman, bring me a dream,
Boom Boom Boom Boom,
Make him the sweetest that I've ever seen
Boom Boom Boom Boom,
Hmm, Hmm, Hmm, Hmm, Hmm, Hmm
Hmm, Hmm, Hmm, Hmm ( I forget the words)
And tell him that his cold, lonely nights are over!!"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

IttyBittyKitty
04-01-2004, 04:36 AM
RANDI, SAY HELLO TO MUMMY
PIXEL STOP THAT!
I SAID STOP THAT!
PIXEL, DO YOU WANT ME TO SPRAY YOU!
PIXEL, DO YOU WANT ME TO SPRAY YOU AGAIN? ... X 10
RANDI, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
RANDI, GET OUT OF THE CLOSET!
RANDI, LEAVE PIXEL ALONE
PIXEL, YOU'RE SO GORGEOUS WHEN YOU'RE BEING GOOD
RANDI, GET OUT OF THE SHOWER PLEASE
RANDI, GET OFF MY PILLOW
PIXEL, STOP CHEWING THAT
RANDI, STOP CHEWING THAT - YOU WERE A GOOD BOY UNTIL YOU MET PIXEL
AWWW, I LOVE YOU GUYS ... RANDI, DON'T BITE MUMMY ....

hmmm ... I sound like the nagging parent of a teenager!!

EDIT .. yes, like Richard, I say "love you, behave yourselves" as I leave ... ever the optimist!

rosethecopycat
04-01-2004, 07:53 AM
We talk about their needs. And I tell them things to build their confidence.

Then we discuss how mine are to treat the fosters and how we can help them.

And I talk to the fosters about how I love them too, how they are safe and how to impress people that come and visit, and may adopt them.

I tell them all how they'll always be loved and cared for.

:p :D

carole
04-01-2004, 03:40 PM
When my two turn their noses up at Roast chicken or Pork, I tell them very sternly, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW LUCKY YOU ARE, there are lots of strays out there who would gladly eat this, remember when you were a Stray, how quickly they forget lol, does my lecturing work NOT ON YOUR LIFE .!!!:)

IttyBittyKitty
04-01-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by carole
When my two turn their noses up at Roast chicken or Pork, I tell them very sternly, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW LUCKY YOU ARE, there are lots of strays out there who would gladly eat this, remember when you were a Stray, how quickly they forget lol, does my lecturing work NOT ON YOUR LIFE .!!!:)

Of course not ... who was it in PT who used to have "cats are just teenagers in fur coats" in their sig? :)

Uabassoon
04-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Normally I just ask the usual kitty questions like "are you hungry?" "do you want a treat?" but Corkscrew always knows them I'm upset and he will come cuddle with me. When that happens I usually tell him that I'm upset then talk to him about what's wrong. I know it's kind of weird but he listens and since he can't talk he doesn't try to give me advice or tell me that I'm wrong, he just lets me vent. Oh and I also tell them that I love them eveytime I leave the house.

Amber
04-02-2004, 06:21 PM
I'm always talking to my pets. Im always talking to maggie about my school life, and my friends. She a great listener, just like my dog too.

And I do the same with the "you know how lucky you are"

Im always saying this to them.

Like for example. "You dont know how lucky you are to have a warm home with people who love you, a place to sleep, and food in your bowl everyday"

they seem to listen. ;)

slick
04-02-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Time for me to fess up...
Daddy's little baby loves shortening, shortening
Daddy's little baby loves shortening bread.
-geez, do I really sing that?
:D :D :D ROFLMAO!!!!! Do we get to hear a rendition of that in July??? :D :D

RICHARD
04-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by slick
:D :D :D ROFLMAO!!!!! Do we get to hear a rendition of that in July??? :D :D

There's a soft shoe routine that goes along with the song.......That costs 50.00 dollars to see.

"cats are teenagers in fur coats" was a line that my old GF once told me..

lat192004
04-02-2004, 11:11 PM
What do I talk about to my cats? Actually, we read each others eyes, and they seem to understand. I don't carry on a full blown conversation with the cats, it's more like asking them where my car keys are, or just asking them "what's up"? I'm sure they know what I'm doing and thinking without me talking to them, it's that 6th scent of theirs. I treat them as equals, and they go about their own business in their house. It's perfectly sane to talk to a cat, they don't hurt you or cause you grief like humans. It's unconditional love with them. I have a feeling that if you cannot love a cat, you cannot love a human. It's such a close bond, the cat/human realtionship. They are really something!;)

jazzcat
04-03-2004, 12:22 AM
With Jazz we discuss how beautiful she is. She's quite the princess around here.

Ripley likes to be told what a handsome brave boy he is but we also discuss how he needs to stand up to Scout and leave Jazz alone. I usually bounce questions off him too.

I talk to Scout about lots of things. She is still learning to be part of the family so I try to include her in everything. I think it's helping.

One thing I do a lot is sing to the them, my dog included. I make up songs with their names or nicknames and sing it to them often. Ripley will almost sing along sometimes as does Jazz on rare ocassions.