PDA

View Full Version : turtles and fishes.. =^_^=

comica23
03-30-2004, 01:03 PM
hi hi!

Iīm new here.. ^_^

Well, Iīve got 2 turtles and 5 fishes as pets...

But Iīm not a very nice owner... (donīt blame me.. >_<; )

Does anyone know how to know which gender is a turtle? I really feel confusing... even the pet shop didnīt know how to examine it!! O_o

Well, Iīve got my first turtle one year ago. Nero (well, a stupid name.. I know..) is dark green with light yellow lines. He/she doesnīt have red marks on its face. Well, I gorgot to ask the shop the name of its specie..

A day ago, I bought Mashi, a pale green (maybe itīs more brown) with pale yellow lines. I think it is a different specie from Nero, but I already tried hard to find a friend for my lonely Nero... ~_~;

Since they say Mashi is young (and he/she is smaller too), is it ok that his/her shell is still quite soft?

And in this morning, I found Mashi dissapeared! Since I have the turtle house a little bit high from the ground, the idea of falling from it scared me a lot!! But thanks God, I found him/her alive...

I want to ask if it is possible that Nero pushed Mashi out (territory stuffs), or Mashi stepped on Nero and climbed out?? Is it because that they are from different species? (ut their sizes arenīt so different)

Well, sorry for my poor English and this much of questions!

And thanks a lot too! =^_^=

aly
03-30-2004, 01:18 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk!!! Your English is wonderful! I'm just sorry I don't know too much about turtles so I can't answer your questions. Somebody will probably read this soon and be able to tell you.

I am glad Mashi is okay :)

CathyBogart
03-30-2004, 01:21 PM
A soft shell is not a good sign. Do you have a UV lamp over their tank? If not, they need a UV lamp! You might want to put extra calcium in their food by putting calcuim powder on it.

I would definitely get a lid for the tank! I don't think Nero pushed Mashi out, I think Mashi climbed out on her own.

Without seeing pictures it is very hard to tell if they are boys or girls. In some species of water turtles, the boys have VERY long front claws. If either of them have very long front claws, they're probably a boy.

comica23
03-31-2004, 04:24 AM
Yeah, I bought some calcium stones to put in their house. ^_^ I guess Iīll try to put them into the sun (not directly ^_^; ), coz I canīt afford an UV lamp yet.. ToT Iīm also going to buy a new house, so they could swim better.

Today I saw Mashi trying to climb out hardly..! O_o I felt quite relieved that is not Nero (it would be horrible!), but now I feel more scared! I must find a higher house! *never thought Mashi would be that atletic, even if I bought him/her because he/she was looking quite energetic* Well, Nero has suicide tendencies too... He/she always want to jump from the high places whenever I play with him/her.. ^_^; (but I like to see that my pets having their own personalities! and Nero always looks so inteligent..) ^_~;

I guess that Iīm going to take some pictures of them to post here...! ^_^

G.P.girl
03-31-2004, 08:35 AM
my beother had a turtle about a year ago and one mrning y mom didn't find him in his aquarium, so she came and woke me up and made me look for him. it took me about 5 minutesto find him and we found him hiding under a cusion(sp?) all the way acrosss the livingroom (very far for a small turtle) i think only vets can tell the gender of turtle, they have to stick something inside it, i think that's how it is with snakes too.

comica23
03-31-2004, 09:15 AM
s-s-stick something in the turtle?!? O_O thatīs quite scary...! >_<

Well, when I lost Mashi, I found him/her back of my roomīs door... I guess we canīt judge turtles withe their appearences!
And they are faster animals than people think!
They are cute pets, but the only problem for me is cleaning a lot... ^_~;

comica23
03-31-2004, 01:49 PM
One more thing... Does anyone know how to keep turtles warm? Coz I still canīt afford lamps yet... >_<

G.P.girl
04-01-2004, 09:03 PM
well i guess put them in a sunny spot where they can get sun light but it's not too cold (windows are usually cold) but i really don't know much about it.