PDA

View Full Version : Going to Scotland

tikeyas_mom
03-30-2004, 11:24 AM
It has been my dream to go to Scotland, and this summer or early Fall I am going. I want to Bring Tikeya, because I'll be going to live there for a couple of months. I think that if I don’t go now while I just graduated, then I will never go. I won’t go unless I have my dog with me. So I crate trained Tikeya. Has anyone here travelled with his or her dog before on plane? I have never been out of Canada so this would be a HUGE experience for Tikeya and I.

slleipnir
03-30-2004, 11:29 AM
Wow, you're so lucky!! I wish I could go to Scotland. I want to go so bad!!

catnapper
03-30-2004, 11:31 AM
You might need to contact the Scottish government top find out what they require before you can bring a pet into their country. I know that many want a quarrentine perios as well as a battery of shots. The quarrentine can be in your house, depending on the country, etc.

That sounds so exciting! Good luck and have fun!

Desert Arabian
03-30-2004, 11:32 AM
Wow, neat! I'd love to go to Scotland too!

I have never traveled with a pet on the plane, but I do know that it costs a boat load of money to transport your pet overseas and is EXTREMELY stressful on the animal most of the time.

Where will you be staying in Scotland!?

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Sounds like a great trip! I was born in Scotland, and my family and I go every July/August for a vacation.

I am sure you will love it - it is a beautiful place!!

I would also suggest you check out the quarantine regulations!

tikeyas_mom
03-30-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
Wow, neat! I'd love to go to Scotland too!

I have never traveled with a pet on the plane, but I do know that it costs a boat load of money to transport your pet overseas and is EXTREMELY stressful on the animal most of the time.

Where will you be staying in Scotland!?

At my brothers friends place.

lovemyshiba
03-30-2004, 12:58 PM
I believe someone to talk to about the the crate training and dogs traveling on an airplane would be Souraya. They only recently traveled to Germany with Drakester, and the trip went smoothly. I'm sure she would be very helpful with that information.

As was already suggested, definitely check into the quarantine laws in Scotland!!

Wonderful news though--it sounds like fun--definitely an experience you won't want to pass up!!!!!

PayItForward
03-30-2004, 01:21 PM
I am going to assume this is Scotland, England. If not correct me and I'll delete this post :P

If so, you'll have to apply for entry based on the PETS scheme to avoid quarantine.

This involves microchipping your dog, getting a rabies shot.

A month later get blood tested.

Wait 6 months and fill out a mountain of paperwork and you'll be issued a certificate to travel with.

Visit this website for more information.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

If you started the process tomorrow, you should be ready to travel by November 04.

tikeyas_mom
03-30-2004, 02:00 PM
omg thats alot of work isnt it!!!.. i just dont want to leave Tikeya for a couple months at home while i go.. and I wont go inless she can come with me... I will just have to start to fill out paper work ECT when i get a job which is hopefully soon. because i am going.. and so is tikeya

EssTer
03-30-2004, 02:05 PM
I haven't any experience with travelling with animals.. But it sounds like great trip! Anyway I wish luck to both of you!;)

Tweety_Pie
03-30-2004, 07:37 PM
OMG AWESOME! Where in Scotland are you going? I have like 50 relatives there lol! :D

Felicia's Mom
03-30-2004, 08:39 PM
Scotland is a country that I would like to visit.

One of my great grand-fathers came from there.

Twisterdog
03-30-2004, 09:09 PM
My dad's family if from Scotland. I'd like to go there someday. You are very lucky! :)

wolfsoul
03-30-2004, 09:17 PM
I think that since she's good in the car, she'll do well in the plane. There are lots of regulations regarding animals and planes because the airline wants to make sure the animals are as ocmfortable as possible. You'll need to have proof of vaccination, and Tikeya will have to be in her nice big crate.

My pup is costing me $100-200 to be shipped from Ontario, and he/she might be 15-20 pounds. Plus the crate will be much smaller, and he will be going a much shorter distance. So you can look at a price twice as much as mine for distance, plus another probably three times as much for the size of the crate, and another 3 times as much because she weighs more.

wolfsoul
03-30-2004, 09:23 PM
Here (http://www.animalforum.com/gflying.htm) is a good site. It has tips on what to do before you travel with your dog. :)

Desert Arabian
03-30-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I think that since she's good in the car, she'll do well in the plane.

In a car a dog can look out the window and know what's going on, the owner is also within reasonable distance of the dog. You can also stop the car when the dog gets sick, has to go to the bathroom, etc. A huge jumbo jet can't land when the dog gets sick or has to go to the bathroom, the owner is no where close to the dog, and there are no windows to look out. The flight is extremely long, about 10 hours (from WI to England it is 9 hours).

popcornbird
03-30-2004, 10:52 PM
Personally, I would never travel by air with a pet unless I was moving overseas. For vacation, when I'm going to get back home.........never. I think its too stressful on the pet just to go for a vacation, and I also think its too much of an unecessary hassle. You have to do so much to travel with a pet, and its a long process. Then, I think you'd have to go through the same process too bring your pet back home. I do believe its worth it when you are moving overseas and want to take your pet wiith you. I don't however, think its worth putting yourself, and the animal through all that when you are just going on vacation.

Just my two cents. Either way, I hope you get to go, and enjoy your trip. Travelling and seeing other parts of the world is fun, and I've heard Scotland is very beautiful too.

tikeyas_mom
03-30-2004, 11:13 PM
i am just sooo scared that Tikeya will be sad without me and i dont want to end up moving there nd never seeing her agin....... :(:(.. i am just super periniod about that. thats why i have to bring her everywhere i go... no matter what...

wolfsoul
03-30-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
In a car a dog can look out the window and know what's going on.
Alot of dogs are crated when they are in a vehicle and so they can't see anything.

jenfer
03-30-2004, 11:45 PM
My only suggestion is to make sure you are aware of all the necessary procedures from Scotland. When Chilli has to move back to Hong Kong. There are paperworks and doctor's visit and some of them are time sensative and require notary from state government etc etc...

Corinna
03-31-2004, 12:07 AM
I think Drakes mom would be the best to ask , but she may have gotten in on the milatry base. which the rules can be different.

ramanth
03-31-2004, 11:03 AM
No added advice, but have a very fun trip!!