PDA

View Full Version : Lola & Lita's Sad Story

QueenScoopalot
03-29-2004, 08:36 PM
This is an ordeal I never want to go through again. Leslie I'm sure would agree! Introductions to Lola & her baby Lita (who played dress up as a tiny girly).http://img42.photobucket.com/albums/v128/QueenScoopalot/Lola_and_Lita.jpg I wrote this story for a newsletter for the group who helped save Lola & Litas life...here goes...drum roll.........I first heard about "Lola" through the ever active cat grapevine. Labor Day weekend a blind cat was giving birth to kittens under a pile of rubble in a woman's backyard. I sent word back through the "grapevine" to leave her alone. I went with Leslie the next day to investigate. It was late afternoon, and I figured the cat would be done birthing, and settled in nursing her brood. I was quite mistaken, when we discovered that her newborns were tangled by their umbilical cords (placentas still attached) around roots coming out of the ground! They were ice cold, and hadn't had any first milk by first observations. I climbed over the tires, and tarps all laden with rain water, and tried to locate the weak cries. I was able to snap the branches entangling the first two kittens, and break through the umbilical cords with my fingernails. I handed the ice cold newborns to Leslie to warm. We were still hearing weak kittens crying further under the rubble, and I located two more closer to the mother. I managed to grab them as well, and handed them to Leslie who held the ice cold litter of four against her stomach to try to warm them slowly. I found no more kittens, but went to look for the mother cat, and realized she was gone. I set a trap, the whole time trying desperately to keep the newborn four warm. An hour had passed and she had still not come back to the nest. I drove around the block, and by fluke looked in the rearview mirror and saw what looked like a black cat five houses away from the nest. I threw the car in reverse, and sure enough it was the tortie mama I was looking for! She went between a fence and a shed, so I threw some mackeral towrd her to keep her in place, had Leslie keep a peek on her, and grabbed the trap. We got her in a matter of moments, and took the whole group home to safety. To be continued...........The ordeal hasn't begun yet!

QueenScoopalot
03-29-2004, 08:51 PM
It was a long night as we discovered. Though the kittens had been warmed for over an hour (very important for newborns) they were in very weak condition, I mixed up kitten formula, and settled mama into a safe haven, and fed her very weak babies. It turned out Lola was abandoned, and in very bad shape when she was giving birth! She was still in labor late that night, but too weak to push the fifth still born kitten out. I stayed up helping her push, though she barely had the energy. By 11P.M I had three very weak kittens. I awoke early the next morning, and found a breach kitten coming out of Lola. I gritted my teeth, and grabbed a towel and pulled the last dead kitten out of her. During the night two of the weakest kittens died. It was heartbreaking as I buried their tiny bodies one, by one. I had a feeling something wasn't "right" with Lola. I thought she may have had another viable kitten in her come Labor Day as I swore I felt movement in her. The next day the vets were open, and Lola went in to be checked. She was in critical condition with a 107.1 temp! She was put on I.V fluids for 24 hours, while I took care of her last surviving kitten. She was spayed the next day after she had stabilized, and her eyes which are very small had the fused membranes on them removed. She came home to a warm bed, and her tiny newborn "Lita"! She is a very quiet shy cat who evidently experienced a lot of abuse in her short lifespan. THE END P.S.Lola has been a wonderful mother to her Little Lita, to the point she still lets the little piggie nurse! Lita is almost eight months old! :rolleyes:

trayi52
03-29-2004, 09:00 PM
What a wonderful story, Jan! And it had a happy ending, the kind of ending I love. I know it was sad that the other kittens died, but you did save Lita and her mother Lola.

They are both so cute, I think they remind me so much of Grover.

Thanks for that wonderful story with a happy ending. Sounds like these guys got a good home in the process, so see happy ending! My favorite kind of endings.:)

Willie

catnapper
03-29-2004, 09:08 PM
What a story! They are now in a much happier place after their ordeal and I'm sure they know it. That must have been heartbreaking to witness it. Thank you for sharing that amazing story.

I get sad to think that my Allen had three stillborn siblings, and thank goodness that I have him. His only living sister got hit by a car last year:(

moosmom
03-29-2004, 10:32 PM
What a heartbreaking story!! But how very lucky Lola and Lita are that you guys came along. I'm glad they've been kept together. You guys are the BEST!!!

Steffi N
03-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Such a painfully sad story, but with a happy ending for Lita and Lola. Both you and Leslie are angels. Please let us see more of these two darlings.

Laura's Babies
03-29-2004, 10:59 PM
God Bless You for doing the work you do! It has to be so hard to come across such conditions and keep going to the next situation when you hear about one.. Thank God there are people like you who do this. Those are 2 lucky kitties to have had you find them.. You were lucky to have been able to save any of the babies and catch their Mom. Again, God Bless you and all those like you!

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-30-2004, 04:31 AM
Thank goodness you came along when you did, and gave these two wonderful kitties a good chance in life!

catcrazylady
03-30-2004, 05:47 AM
How lucky these two were that you came into their lives. They are precious. For all the bad that you experienced you still managed to save two adorable kitties. Thank you for doing what you do. God Bless you.http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/smile.gif

catmandu
03-30-2004, 10:17 AM
That is a wondeful story , and very typical of the many Pet Talkers , who go above and beyond the Call Of Duty , to help those Little Ones that need help. Found Cats and Feeder Salute You!