PDA

View Full Version : Called the vet about Merry

tikeyas_mom
03-29-2004, 03:40 PM
I just copied this from my Live journal because I dont feel like typeing it all out again.....

I called the vet this morning and asked if their was anything he could do for Merry’s leg, and the vet said that he couldn’t really do much for a rodents leg. He said it was just like a broken toe on a human, nearly impossible to cast and usually heals on its own.
He said Rodents, mainly rats have a high tendency to heal in a small amount of time with the right amount of exercise and rest; he said that Rats need to heal fast to be able to survive in the wild. So he recommended that I just keep Merry nice and calm, exercise him one or twice a day, and let him interact with his brother as much as possible.
He said to keep Merry in a small secure safe glass cage for about 5 days and to make sure I let him out during the day to play with his brother and I.
He said to massage the limb to stimulate the nerves that might be damaged, and to try to encourage Merry to hold things. He viewed Merry’s File and said that he is at a good weight *we just visited the vet about a week before this all happened* and he said that Merry should heal up fine in a couple weeks or less.

For the people who sent good and nice thoughts Merry's and my way, I thank you so much. :)

primabella
03-29-2004, 03:42 PM
I'm glad you were able to speak with the vet. Best of luck to Merry on recovering. :)

trayi52
03-29-2004, 03:43 PM
Jynnelle, that is great to hear! I keep you and Merry in my thoughts and prayers.

Willie:)

tikeyas_mom
03-29-2004, 03:44 PM
thanks guys :)

slick
03-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the update Jynnelle. Please pass on some kisses from me :) :)

Stay Fresh, Babe!!!;)

Nomilynn
03-29-2004, 07:40 PM
Great news! I'm glad to know Merry will be ok :)

luckies4me
03-30-2004, 09:21 AM
Unfortunately I don't agree with your vet. Rats can be casted and I've seen many. If the leg is indeed broken he will need to have a check up. Also, most vets would not recommend any exercise during an injury at all. They are supposed to be kept singly until they are healed, with no interaction with other rats, as in play. Sniffing and see eachother is fine, but I would limit his movement as much as possible. The least he could have done was given some antiinflamatories. Giving advice without even seeing the animal is very unprofessional IMHO.

But, yes there is good in my post LOL, I do hope he does recover and does well. :) Keep us updated on his progress.

wolfsoul
03-30-2004, 09:59 AM
I hope Merry gets better! :D

By the way, your spelling is really good in that post lol. Good job!

tikeyas_mom
03-30-2004, 11:00 AM
The rats next vet check up is in a month so I will take him in then.

luckies4me
03-30-2004, 11:18 AM
Do you have any new pics of them and your new ratty, well all of them? :)

tikeyas_mom
03-30-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Do you have any new pics of them and your new ratty, well all of them? :)

No.. I haven’t gotten around to taking new pictures, because I just got back from Vancouver, and Merry got hurt.. It has been so hectic.. I just rather not take pictures and then beg my brothers to get off the computer so I can upload them.

Logan
03-30-2004, 12:32 PM
I hope your Merry will be just fine, Jynelle. :)

Twisterdog
03-30-2004, 09:03 PM
Glad to hear it! I hope he is better quickly!

Giving advice without even seeing the animal is very unprofessional IMHO.

Ummmmm .... isn't that a case of the pot calling the kettle black, Luckies4me? You gave a whole paragraph of advice about an animal you have never seen ... then ended said paragraph by criticising a vet for giving advice about an animal he has never seen.

luckies4me
03-30-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

Ummmmm .... isn't that a case of the pot calling the kettle black, Luckies4me? You gave a whole paragraph of advice about an animal you have never seen ... then ended said paragraph by criticising a vet for giving advice about an animal he has never seen.

What I meant was without seeing the rats leg how did he know it was not broken? How did he know there was no swelling which required any anti-inflamatory? What about possible puncture wounds of abrasions that may need antibiotics? In all the cases I have seen in rats not once have I had a vet not even look at the rat. I am giving advice on how to make him comfortable, not how to treat his injury, except limit his movement which is common sense and which a vet should know. Any rat with a leg injury and possible fracture should have known the rat needs no playtime until he is healed. He should have looked at the rat. How does he know the owner was not calling only saying the rat had minimal injuries just because they couldn't afford vet care (just an example!!!) and just wanted to know this so they didn't have to bring the rat in when in fact the animal had a grotest injury causing severe pain? That is my point. The rat should have been seen, period.

KYS
03-30-2004, 09:15 PM
Wishing Merry well!