PDA

View Full Version : Hobo Signs

kuhio98
03-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Thought this was interesting. http://www.slackaction.com/signroll.htm

Did you know that during the American Depression in the 1930's, hobos would mark the houses they visited with symbols to let the other hobos know the good places to hang out?

If you run your cursor over the symbols on this page, the symbol is defined for you. In the middle of the second row is a crude drawing of a cat. Guess what it means?

I think we all agree with its definition. :D

RICHARD
03-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by kuhio98
In the middle of the second row is a crude drawing of a cat. Guess what it means?

I need art lessons???;)

Very interesting - some of the symbols make sense, others are hard to see their origin!

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-29-2004, 01:16 PM
Interesting. I like the cat one!

Of course the modern spin on this would be chalk on the walls or pavements outside buildings indicating an unsecured wireless network, and thus either a hacking opportunity or free internet access. (Times have changed!!)

catmandu
03-30-2004, 10:54 AM
I think that there is aseries of Burma Shave signs in Cat Talk , leading to the Hotel... If You are Hungry ... And Have notjing to Eat...The Fat Cat Lover...Will Make Sure...That You have Something Good To Eat...Use The Found Cats Hotel! Burma Sahve was an old Shaving Cream Company , that used road Signs , In Rhyme!