PDA

View Full Version : terror filled Sunday...with a happy ending

trinity
03-29-2004, 06:44 AM
About 8:30 yesterday morning, Hunter escaped. Hubby was going out and as the "old timers" don;t try to get out anymore we have become, obviously, a little lax in paying attention to where everyone was when the door was open. It is very difficult to grab a 7month old kitten when he sees an opening....but we both tried. I think I managed to catch the tip of his tail as he went past but that was it. He went straight out the back gate and down the alley. I was a mess the whole day. He has only been insdie with us for about 2 weeks...would he remember? Would he come back? Needless to say there were a great deal of tears yesterday morning....hubby was convinced that Hunter would come back at dinnertime 'cause he was used to the schedule for a few months and that everything would be fine....ok, that means trying to keep myself occupied for about 7 hours or so until dinnertime arrives...with the help of the best, best friend in the world, I managed. Put the food out for the strays we feed about 5:30...no sign. We walked around the neighborhood carrying a dingle ball the whole time 'cause it is one of his favorite toys. No sign. Best friend had to get home to her own furrbabies so she left. About 6:45 I went out on the porch and made the silly little cat calling noises we always use to call the strays....AND IT WORKED!!!! He came flying from across the street, right up onto the porch and right to me....he wiggled a little when I grabbed him to hug him. Managed to get up, open the front door and toss him onto the futon. He looked around rather disgustingly, as if to say, "Back in the house again...." but he's back. A few times last night I woke up to him snuggling under my chin and rubbing against my face....was the longest day of my life!

kimlovescats
03-29-2004, 06:50 AM
Oh what a scare this little guy gave mommy!!! :( I would have been frantic as well! Give him a good scolding and then lots of kissies from me too! :rolleyes: :)

Laura's Babies
03-29-2004, 07:34 AM
That is MY greatest fear, one of mine getting out of the door. Chester expresses no interest in the front door and neither does Amy but Giz is ever so ready since she was an outside kitten until we got her. But I have had one take off and I know what you were going through. I know it was a rough day for you and what the feeling was when he came back!! I am so glad it ended good!

catmandu
03-29-2004, 09:13 AM
That is terrifying , as you imagine the worst happening to your poor Cats , when 99 5 of the time , they will be all right. But with Orangie , and Gem all it takes is that 1 5 , of the time!

kuhio98
03-29-2004, 09:16 AM
Hunter must be quite proud of himself. Had himself an adventure. So glad he came home safe and sound. He's obviously a very smart kitty -- he knew how to get home.

catnapper
03-29-2004, 09:17 AM
I'm glad he's home safe. I know how it feels to lose a kitten. Pouncer got out once and I was absoutely dying... I only had about a half an hour of uopset... I can't imagine a whole day's worth. Give him extra snuggles from me.

moosmom
03-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Trinity,

I'm so glad this story had a happy ending. There is nothing worse than not knowing.

When LilEli fell out of my living room window last year, I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep. I walked around my neighborhood calling his name, shaking his favorite can of treats. I had absolutely NO idea where he was (he's semi-feral). It was by a miracle that, 5 days later, I was pulling into my parking space and my headlights happen to shine on him sitting in the back yard. Fortunately I was able to corner him in the entrance way to the basement.

I kissed him all the way up the stairs!! He won't go near the window he fell out of!

jazzcat
03-29-2004, 09:25 AM
I'm so glad he is back safely.

That is one of my biggest fears too. I panic if I think someone may have slipped out.

Barbara
03-29-2004, 12:39 PM
I am so happy he's back:)
I would have died during that day. Kisses to the fearless Hunter:)

catcrazylady
03-29-2004, 12:50 PM
YIPPEE a happy ending!! I'm so glad that Hunter came home! I know how horrible it is when you just don't know. Leroy went missing for three days and I nearly lost my mind!!!! I was so very lucky to have a happy ending and I'm glad you were too!!!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-29-2004, 01:00 PM
I am so glad your story had a happy ending, and Hunter is safely back where he belongs.

Logan
03-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Whew!!!!! So glad the little fellow knew what he was supposed to do!!!! I am glad, at times, that mine are familiar enough with the outdoors to know that they would rather be indoors! Thankfully, they rarely venture much further than our property line.

PayItForward
03-29-2004, 02:02 PM
I am so pleased you got Hunter back safe & sound.

Steffi N
03-29-2004, 10:45 PM
I am glad Hunter came back safely. I'm sure that now he knows there's no place like home. :)

davidpizzica
03-30-2004, 02:23 AM
Pittsburgh is a rough place for a kitty to get .lost! I'm just happy that he's home safe & secure. Greetings fom Penn hills!;) ;)

trinity
03-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Oh my! Another PTer in Pgh! I am so excited! I was starting to think I was all alone in the area....Hi David! Fortunately Hunter had been in the area as a stray since he was born (atleast that is what we are guessing...) so he didn't roam far. The neat part of this whole thin is: we have been feeding a black and white cat that we actually think has a home but seems to spend most time outdoors, no matter the weather, and eats a great deal of the meals on our porch. When I "called" for Hunter Sunday night, he came flying across the street with the black and white nudging him along, almost like she knew. When I managed to snag him and get him back into the house she sat on the porch and cried for 5 minutes. I was inside thinking her profusely for bringing him home. Then I put out some of the "good" stuff for her dinner. :)

QueenScoopalot
03-30-2004, 08:17 AM
I'm sooo happy you found Hunter! Nothing like the panic that sets in when furbutts are MIA like that. Maybe it's time for a jingle bell around his neck...sort of a pre-warning? ;)

Felicia's Mom
03-30-2004, 08:22 AM
I am glad Hunter was found!:)

trinity
03-30-2004, 09:58 AM
"Maybe it's time for a jingle bell around his neck...sort of a pre-warning? "

You would think we wouldn't need the bell...for a 5.5 pound cat, he sounds like a thindering elephant when he runs around the house!:rolleyes:

trayi52
03-30-2004, 10:25 AM
Maybe a goat bell???;) I am so glad there was a happy ending to this story, as I keep saying ' I just love happy endings', I know you had to be very frightened.

Happy, Hunter finally heard his mommys voice and came running home!

Willie:)

AmberLee
03-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Whew! I was on pins and needles till you got him back. So glad all is well now.

davidpizzica
03-30-2004, 06:24 PM
I'm glad to find a local PTer. I have two cats here (one laying on my shoulder), a tuxedo named Nikki, and a tortie named Daisy. I' glad to meet you!;)