PDA

View Full Version : I Lost a Baby This A.M

QueenScoopalot
03-28-2004, 08:28 PM
I checked on my yacht club mama this morning and found one of her little ones had died. :( I suspect it had to do with the umbilical hernia it had, though the queen had left VERY long umbilical cords on them all. I've seen hernias occur with mom cats that chew the cord too close to the tummies. I should have had some iodine on hand to dab at the area, but wasn't thinking anything could have gone wrong. :( I have to look at it this way that if they were born outside maybe two would have survived if that, and she still has four. And mama cat is not feral I'm sure. She lets me pet her and handle the kittens with no aggression from her. :) Jan

trayi52
03-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Sorry about that Jan, you just can't save them all. Sounds like the rest of them are doing okay though.

Willie:)

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-29-2004, 04:21 AM
AW what sad news. But it sounds like Mommy Cat and the rest of the babies are in good hands!

davidpizzica
03-29-2004, 06:01 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the other are doing o.k.:eek:

rosethecopycat
03-29-2004, 08:01 AM
:(

QueenScoopalot
03-29-2004, 08:05 AM
I woke up to another dead kitten, and a third that is probably not going to make it either. :( Mama is very good to her kittens keeping them warm, dry, and well fed, but I guess it's survival of the fittest. :rolleyes: Last Fall while the cat was still living outside, I trapped two kittens that I think were hers, so it seems as though it's inevitable that she'll lose some. It was hard to tell who belonged with who as there were four look-a-like black cats. Oh well, at least it's no more babies for her.:o I just hope for her sake that the two healthy ones survive.

catcrazylady
03-29-2004, 09:04 AM
How sad http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/frown.gif Poor little ones. Has she got enough milk?
I hope you don't lose anymore. The poor mamma kitty would probably be very sad.

QueenScoopalot
03-29-2004, 10:16 AM
The surviving pair are nursing very well, mama's eating a lot of food, and she seems to have a good milk supply. Oh well...everyone say a prayer that the last two hang in there. They are very large and plump.

davidpizzica
03-29-2004, 10:49 AM
I pray that those two grow up to be happy and healthy furbabies!

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-29-2004, 12:32 PM
Sending prayers that the remaining babies continue to thrive and grow.

trayi52
03-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Jan, I hope the other two make it. I'll say a little prayer that they will be okay. Sorry about losing the others.:(

Willie

Logan
03-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Jan, I'm sorry for the loss. :( Even when it is "meant to be", it isn't easy to understand. Will say my prayers that the remaining two do well.

Logan

Steffi N
03-29-2004, 07:29 PM
I am sorry your little mother lost her babies. Rest in peace, little ones.
I hope the remaining two stay healthy.

leslie flenner
03-29-2004, 07:43 PM
So we've gone from "Black, black, black, black and black, kittens to only "Black and black?" What will moosmom say? Did you put the babies in a grave? Or is that confidential on account of city rules?

QueenScoopalot
03-29-2004, 09:51 PM
They'll all be together under my tree. Poor wee infants. The other two HAVE to hang in there so they can try on bonnets too. And tiny dresses. :) Mama cat has been down this road before no doubt, as she doesn't seem to mourn the three being gone. It's the sad part of life I guess. :rolleyes:

leslie flenner
03-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Misspelled I know.... I asked edwina if she has any extra bonnets for babies... Darn, I hope mama is going to be ok with the last 2 babies... She is not sick..

carole
03-29-2004, 10:03 PM
May the babies gone have a safe trip to RB, and be greeted by all the super kittys there who will look after them with great care,here's hoping the remaining two survive and live long and healthy lives.Positive thoughts and vibes are coming their way.:)

moosmom
03-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Come on wee little black girl, your hooman mama is waiting your arrival!!!

QSA,

Hang in there. Things happen for a reason.

leslie flenner
03-29-2004, 10:17 PM
we picked up a pregnant all black female yesterday with a great dispostion (siamese talker) she talked for several hours and when we got her tucked into a safe cage, she wouldn't let us shut the door because she wanted to play head butt for as long as possible! she was skittish on the street and then a dollbaby at jans! I kept trying to tempt her out of site of her apt. but she was scared and finally she came close enough to scruff and throw in the car. Find out later that the owners have no intentions of taking care of her or her brother (which we have to go back for in the dark jan)....

QueenScoopalot
03-30-2004, 08:12 AM
The sibling of the little pregnant girl was (according to children) "thrown out by auntie for getting in the trash"! If they had fed them proper food and fixed them, we wouldn't have to go steal them now would we? :mad: :( :mad: And then there's the tortie to contend with. Grr!!! :mad:

kimlovescats
03-30-2004, 09:47 PM
God had another plan for these babies .... you are doing a wonderful job, and service to these babies and their mom! ;)

IttyBittyKitty
04-03-2004, 08:31 AM
I remember when I was a kid and one of our cats had babies (before Mum was educated on the positives of desexing!) and they all got sick ... I held one of the little precious ones until it passed away, and it took me ages to get over it. Fortunately, the rest of the litter and Momma cat survived what turned out to be a flu type bug.

We didn't know what it was until we got them to the vets, plus the vet said the rest of the kittens would have died had we not gone to the vet and got them on meds. Have you taken Momma and babies to the vets or is this logistically impossible?