PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Kitten won't come out!

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-28-2004, 11:57 AM
I trapped a gorgeous little Tortie today, I think she is around 3 months old. I put her in my spare bathroom, as it is the only room that Ally and Connor can't sniff around. I am taking her to the shelter tomorrow.

BIG PROBLEM, she has climbed into the base of the Bidet, and won't come out. I can touch her, but I cant reach far enough in to get a hold of her.

What should I do? Will she come out when she is hungry, or will I need to get a plumber in to remove the Bidet? How can I "make"her come out? I feel terrible that she is hiding in there and I can't reach her! I've had 5 or 6 other cats in this room before, and this has never happened!:( :( :( :( :(

A year ago we had a kitten which climbed into the engine of a car, and we had to "flush"it out with water!

OMG I am worried sick! I am such an idiot:( :( :( :( :(

aly
03-28-2004, 12:09 PM
You're definately not an idiot! It could have happened to anyone.

You might want to put some canned food out since that is stinky and may lure her out to eat. Also, maybe you can set up another hiding place. That way if she comes out to eat, she may crawl into the new hiding place - maybe a box with a small hole in it or something similar.

Is there a feral cat rescue where you live? That may be better than the shelter for her.

Karen
03-28-2004, 12:12 PM
I agree - stinky wet food, and quiet will lure her out when she is hungry enough - and, being that she's a kitten, that'll happen sooner rather than later.

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-28-2004, 12:23 PM
I have left out some stinky tuna, and switched the light off, so the only light is through the window from the street lamp outside. The tricky part will be to make sure she does not go back in there again after scoffing the Tuna! She already had a box and a cat carrier to hide in, but she chose the Bidet instead:(

Thanks for the reassurance - I just feel like such a moron right now:o

Aly, I wish there was a feral rescue in Bahrain - but there is nothing. The ONLY shelter on the whole Island is underfunded, and dozens (sometimes over 100 per month) of dogs and cats are PTS.:(

I'll let you know as soon as she leaves her hidey-hole!

Karen
03-28-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy

Aly, I wish there was a feral rescue in Bahrain - but there is nothing.

Wrong, sweetie, there's you! There's an old saying "Nothing is foolproof to a fool." I think that can apply to kittens, too - no place is "kitten safe" from the right kitten - they WILL find hidey-spots you never believed possible!

catmandu
03-28-2004, 12:44 PM
Just be patient. When BoBo first moved into the Hotel , she actaully hid , in the crawlspace , under the Bathroom Sink Cabinet. I was so afraid that she will become stuck , and die, soI icrowaved Tuna Fish , wited and then closed the door , before her return, Patience ,,as the Kittens curiousity will do the trick.

rg_girlca
03-28-2004, 01:50 PM
Oh Ally it isn't your fault that this smart little kitty found a safe hiding space. Is there any chance that you can stay in the bathroom, once you put the food down, so maybe you can block the base once she comes out so she won't run in there again.
Because i'm sure once you enter the bathroom she will keep running to her safe spot.
Good luck with her.

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-28-2004, 02:24 PM
Yikes she is QUICK!! She came out, saw me and bolted again!!! Plan B (now that I am thinking rationally again;) ):

If she decides NOT to come out of her hidey hole so I can take her to the shelter, then she will just have to stay in the bathrrom. Tomorrow evening I will trap one of her littermates, and I am sure she will then come out. I will leave the bathroom door open so they can wander into the next room, and then block up the hole......well that's the plan anyway - so far this girlie has been smarter than me.

Thanks guys for all your support - you have really helped me out tonight;)

rg_girlca
03-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Yup Ally, I think this was her plan all along. One smart little girl you have there.:D

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-28-2004, 10:58 PM
She came out during the night, to have food and water, and to use the litter box (clever girlie)!!! I have put her food BACK INSIDE THE TRAP IN THE BATHROOM - that's a new one for me - trapping cats INSIDE to house:rolleyes:

I'll let you know when I catch her!

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-29-2004, 04:18 AM
OK, I have caught her, and she is at the shelter. They will chack she is healthy, and keep her there until she is old enought to be spayed, after which she will be given back to me to release in my garden!

catcrazylady
03-29-2004, 07:36 AM
I just saw this and I had to get tickled! This little lady really made you do the work to outsmart her! I'm so glad everything got worked out and your bidet is now cat free!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

ramanth
03-29-2004, 08:56 AM
(Had to look up what a bidet was :o )

I'm so glad you finally caught her. Can we have pictures of her when she comes back to you?

Cataholic
03-29-2004, 09:10 AM
Julie,
Sometimes I just have to smile at your situations~ I am glad she came out, and is at the shelter. You were wonderful to wait her out.

catmandu
03-29-2004, 09:16 AM
We rare so gald that there is a happy Ending , and the chain of unwanted kittens , is going to be broken! That is the best Thing , and she will be a Beautiful Garden Cat!

sirrahved
03-29-2004, 09:19 AM
I guess a bidet is just her ideal home!

jazzcat
03-29-2004, 09:20 AM
Glad you caught her.

Kona & Oreo's mom
03-29-2004, 10:31 AM
Kona wants to say that you should never underestimate the trickiness of a tortie girl! :D

I'm glad that you caught her and that she is safe. Best of luck to her at the shelter/vet so she will be returned to you quickly.

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Julie,
Sometimes I just have to smile at your situations~

I CAN see the funny side to it now - but last night it was not QUITE as amusing!!!

Of course everyone at the shelter had a hoot when I told them (let's face it - it's too good a story not to tell).

On a positive note, I trapped one of her "friends" this evening - not a littermate as she is much bigger (also a Tortie). Maybe her Mom? She also looks pregnant, but not too far along. She is incredibly skittish and is hiding in a box (The back of the bidet having been securely closed off!).

There are still at least another two - a Moo-Cow and a ginger and white one. The frustrating thing is only haveing one trap - I could have caught all three if I had 3 traps today. I will try for the other two tomorrow - one in the morning and one in the evening.

kuhio98
03-29-2004, 01:47 PM
Good job! However, Miss Cammie salutes the "tortitudeness" of the situation.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/pb86d0bc7d0871fe643b5ad9edaf8982d/f9994b41.jpg

Logan
03-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Good work, Julie!!! :) I wish all the cats had people like you out there to help them into healthier and safer environments!! I love the Bidet story, though!! :p

PayItForward
03-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
She came out during the night, to have food and water, and to use the litter box (clever girlie)!!! I have put her food BACK INSIDE THE TRAP IN THE BATHROOM - that's a new one for me - trapping cats INSIDE to house:rolleyes:

I'll let you know when I catch her!
ROTFLMAO. :D That's is one clever kitty. :)

Felicia's Mom
03-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Glad you got the kitten out. I hope you have no trouble with the others.

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-30-2004, 04:35 AM
Update.

Miss Tortie is settling in at the shelter. They have named her PENNY:).

The pregnant grey one is in the "maternity ward,"they have named her TILLY.

I took the larger Tortie in this morning, and later this morning I managed to trap the Ginger one too!!! So only one to go - a gorgeous Moo-Cow - hold thumbs that I can trap him too, because now he is on his own at the building site
:(

catcrazylady
03-30-2004, 05:44 AM
WOW! You have really been busy!!
You do such a wonderful job! I swear you are like a one woman rescue service!! Those poor kitties are so lucky to have you around. They have a much brighter future because of you!:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

ps. I think you amazing!!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-30-2004, 09:18 AM
AW, thanks so much for your kind words. I eventually got to a point where I reslised that just feeding them was not helping the situation in any way - and no-one else was going to step in....so I had to do something.....

You know the expression - the best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your arm!!!

There are A LOT of members here on Pet Talk who are doing MUCH MORE than I am - I am not going to list names in case I miss someone out, but their love of animals and ongoing commitment to their welfare just humbles me, and makes me want to do more too!

And I also think the work you are doing at the shelter is amazing and so selfless! (((HUGS))) to you.

QueenScoopalot
03-30-2004, 09:27 AM
I can't quite picture in my head how the kitty got stuck, but sure glad you got here again. :) It sounds like you're on a roll with your gang! Give yourself a pat on the back! :D And if it makes you feel any better, I've had to trap kittens in my house too! ;)