PDA

View Full Version : Ad in the paper that made me mad....A rant!

Pam
03-28-2004, 11:23 AM
I don't know why I read ads or go to Petfinder. There must be something about me that loves to make myself sad. :rolleyes: Here goes the ad:

"Light yellow female lab, 6 months old. Beautiful, friendly, happy dog. Housebroken, spayed, all shots including rabies. Family too busy, not home enough. Over $1,200 invested. Must sacrifice. Asking $600."

This ad made me feel like I wanted to explode. How can someone adopt a puppy and have them for only 6 months and then decide they were too busy for a dog. Hello! :mad: They didn't know six months ago that they were "too busy" for a dog?? I think the financial part is what pi$$ed me off most of all. Gosh these poor people invested $1,200. Pity! Pity! What about what the dog had invested in this relationship? He/she thought it found its forever home! :( No doubt this puppy will wind up in a shelter. :( Sometimes I wish that people were made to sign a contract when they buy a dog, pledging to keep them for as long as they live, but of course that is wishful thinking and ridiculous. I know I am preaching to the choir by posting this here, but I just had to vent. :mad:

Uabassoon
03-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Grrr it makes it sound like the dog is a piece of furniture or something.

GoldenRetrLuver
03-28-2004, 11:41 AM
I always check the Classified Ads in the newspaper. I don't know why I do...it either makes me sad and/or infuriated.

Here's one from this morning.
Border Collies-
Beautiful puppies AKC ready to go! 2M & 1F, Family Raised, Pure Bread, $750

Okay...right off the bat it makes me upset that they can't even spell correctly. :rolleyes: "Pure Bread"?! Ay.

And this one..
Golden Retriever Pups AKC Shots, Health Guarantee. $500-$700

That one was Daisy's breeder. I see him in the paper ALL the time either with Goldens or Labs. Today, he has both. :(

Dogz
03-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
Health Guarantee.

A Health Guarantee? I have never heard of that. Just wondering, how can they guarantee the health of a dog? Unless it just means that there is a health guarentee when you get the dog.

It's all quite sad. :( I never look at the section with pets for sale, I just check out my shelter's ad! :)

GoldenRetrLuver
03-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Dogz
A Health Guarantee? I have never heard of that. Just wondering, how can they guarantee the health of a dog? Unless it just means that there is a health guarentee when you get the dog.

Over here, you see that in most ads.
When we went to pick up Daisy, part of the contract was that if our regular veterinarian found something wrong with her within seven days of taking her home, we could bring her back to the breeder for a refund, or exchange her for another puppy of the same value. So yes, it means that the puppy's health is guaranteed when get the dog.

luckies4me
03-28-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver

Okay...right off the bat it makes me upset that they can't even spell correctly. :rolleyes: "Pure Bread"?! Ay.

That's usually the papers fault. I see typos ALL the time.

As far as health Guarantee, it is the same as buying a dog froma petstore. They have a guarantee to be free of illness etc. (or in this case the parents were hip certified) for about 14 days, and if in that time period of the animal gets ill you get a refund or an exchance. Basically they are saying the puppy is guaranteed to be healthy for two weeks after you adopt it, and if it does get sick the owners need to show proof it was congenital or caused by the new owner before they can get reimbursed for vet trips etc.

Shelteez2
03-28-2004, 12:14 PM

It's all quite sad. :( I never look at the section with pets for sale, I just check out my shelter's ad! :)

Good breeders try to guarantee the health of their pups all the time. They do this by testing their dogs for genetic problems, ie Hip Dysplasia, Luxating Platellas (sp), PRA...etc.... Then they will write in the contract that they are sure their dogs dont carry these certain diseases, and if the dog does happen to end up with something then they will offer to take the puppy back, or refund part or all of the cost of the pup, or pay for treatment if possible.

Bad breeders offer a health guarantee to make them seem like good breeders, only they don't have the proof to back up their claims.

Did that make any sense? I'm not that great at explaining things.

Karen
03-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Exactly - don't blame the person running the ad for the typo - that's the newspaper's fault, not the pup's owner's fault.

Pam, I would call the number and tell them about Lab Rescue organizations. A six-month-old pup is at an important satge of development, and if it leaves their care, should go to someone who knows what they are dealing with.

It ain't a car, folks, it's a living creature. I'm sorry for them that they are giving up on the pup, but it will probably be better off with someone who doesn't see it as an "investment" but as a living, breathing, creature with a brain and a heart. (Okay, it's a Lab pup - perhaps that should be "a living, breathing, creature with a mouth, lotsa muscles, and a heart. I know there's a brain in there, but at that age, it's sometimes hard to tell!)

Dogz
03-28-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
Good breeders try to guarantee the health of their pups all the time. They do this by testing their dogs for genetic problems, ie Hip Dysplasia, Luxating Platellas (sp), PRA...etc.... Then they will write in the contract that they are sure their dogs dont carry these certain diseases, and if the dog does happen to end up with something then they will offer to take the puppy back, or refund part or all of the cost of the pup, or pay for treatment if possible.

Bad breeders offer a health guarantee to make them seem like good breeders, only they don't have the proof to back up their claims.

Did that make any sense? I'm not that great at explaining things.

Okay, I sort of see what you are saying. But, how do you know if it a good breeder putting that in there for the good of the dog, or if a BYB is just putting it in there just to make people think they are a good breeder?

guster girl
03-28-2004, 12:44 PM
People don't realize how much work it takes. It doesn't make them stupid or mean or abusive. It just means, unfortunately, that they are uneducated on what it takes to raise a dog. It's not fair to judge every single person who can't take care of a dog. Who knows what happened to that family in six months? It may have been a family that only one parent worked, and, maybe both parents work now. I don't know, you don't know. A lot can change in six months, is all I am saying. Anyway, I hope the puppy finds a better home. At least it's not "free to a good home"....and, in regards to the other post about spelling, geez, you want to talk about poor spelling. Try reading some of the posts on this site. Again, it doesn't mean a person is ignorant because they're not the most proficient typist. And, in that case, like a couple of others have mentioned, it's probably the paper's bad. Just my two cents.

DogLover9501
03-28-2004, 01:15 PM
I also seen a really stupid ad in the buy & sell before, I wanted the dog!!! :p;)

It was like:
Purebred Rottweiler, 4 months old, tail docked, selling because of no training experience!!! $250.

Im sure they can get a book or take a class :rolleyes:

Cincy'sMom
03-28-2004, 02:14 PM
Okay, I sort of see what you are saying. But, how do you know if it a good breeder putting that in there for the good of the dog, or if a BYB is just putting it in there just to make people think they are a good breeder?

Unfortunatly, a lot of times your first clue that it is not a good breeder, is that they are advertising in the newspaper. In an ideal situation a good breeder has all its pups spoken for (and maybe even a waiting list) before the bredding even takes place. And if they don't a lot of times, the word is passed among freinds at training clubs, etc. that pups will be available. Good breeders are often known and do not have to advertise their pups.

K9soul
03-28-2004, 03:01 PM
I think the part about the one Pam posted that is upsetting is this:

Over $1,200 invested. Must sacrifice. Asking $600.

They seem pretty focused on the money with this. "Must sacrifice" means they have to sacrifice the other $600 they've invested, or must sacrifice the dog?

Guster I know what you are saying, but I sure think a more responsible thing to do would be to forget about the money they've 'invested' and make sure this pup goes to a good home. Contacting a rescue organization would have been a much better step. They are still treating this pup like a commodity, not a life.

Also, to me it's not much better than 'free to good home.' Whether someone pays $600 or takes the pup in free doesn't guarantee it a good home at all. If someone says 'free to good home' and actually truly screens where the pup goes to, it's different. I am not saying that people who advertise this always make sure that they properly home the animal, but I imagine this family won't be screening anything and will sell the pup to the first person who offers up what they want.

I have never counted up how much money I've 'invested' in my dogs. If I was ever somehow forced (God forbid) to give up one of my dogs, even if it was only after having it for a few weeks, money would be the very last thing on my mind.

Finally, I'm not setting out to judge the people as 'bad people,' but I still feel no excuse can explain away how the dog is being handled in this situation. A rescue would be great, but I don't know if they would be interested since they would not receive back any of their 'investment.'

tatsxxx11
03-28-2004, 03:33 PM
I agree Pam...infuritating!:mad: And the fact that want to be rewarded (600.00) for THEIR mistake is doubly infuriating. Still, no one should ever surrender their dog with "Free to good home" in the ad as just about anyone will jump on that one. Asking for a nominal sum, to assure the person is sincerely inclined and willing to commit, is a good idea. Most rescue groups require a 150-200 adoption fee and I feel that would be a fair and appropriate amount for this family to request if they plan to place the dog themselves. Placing the dog in a repuatable rescue org. is the best idea; there are a lot of them out there, especially purebreed rescues who would be happy to accept the dog into their program.

I can tell you, from working with NEARR www.nearr.comthese past two years, that is the MAIN reason why Labs/Retrievers are surrendered. Everyone wants the quintessential family dog, not realizing that this is a large, active, playful dog that needs regular daily exercise and craves attention. Do you some people surrender because they "can't stand this dog following me around everywhere.":mad: People who apply with us are sometimes put off with the length and "depth" of the application and screening process. But it's just because of people like this that we take GREAT care in placing each dog with a person/family who understands the breed and has the time and energy to devote to him/her and that the dog's personality pairs up with the family's lifestyle. We pull a lot of Labs off Petfinder. I'll have to go check to see where this sweetie is from:( I just hope and pray the next home will be her FOREVER home. Welcoming a dog into your home needs to be a carefully considered decision; it's a lifetime commitment.

Education is the key...researching the appropriate breed for your home, lifestyle, activity level, whether you have children or not or PLAN to. We require all applicants who plan on having children in the next 3 years to describe to us how they plan on acclimating dog to the arrival of an infant; if they are prepared to handle the stress of a new born and a dog. Many dogs are surrendered by inexperienced "dog" families who, after the birth of a child, find themselves overwhelmed, especially if there is no fenced in yard. And regardless of how experienced they are, a 6 week basic obedience class is required. By the end of the adoption process, only the most sincerely motivated of applicants remain.

Shelteez2
03-28-2004, 04:07 PM

Well generally speaking good breeders do not advertise in papers. Unless maybe if they have a rare breed that people may not have heard of before.

If a breeder does advertise, whether in an ad or on their websites etc, that the offer a health guarantee, then be prepared to ask what that includes. The breeder should be able to provide you with certificates of the tests performed on the parents, ie a certificate from OFA with the rating on hips and elbows, or a CERF certificate for the eyes. Also good breeders will guarantee their dogs for longer than say 2 weeks as it can take up to 2 years or longer for some genetic problems to show up.

Tonya
03-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Although it irks the **** out of me...I'm thankful that they acknowledged that they were not good pet owners and are seeking a better home for them. My neighbor has neglected her dogs for years, I wish she'd give hers away to a loving home.

Here are two that have been irking the hell out of me all week...

PINCHERS MINI 1 red Male, 6lbs., 2 black/tan Females (1 pregnant)(1-5lbs., 1-9lbs.) Must see! $350/$450/or best offer. Must sell! 968-xxxx

Oh, the other one is gone...it said something like...

Just might be genetically a new breed! Lab, pitbull, rott mixed pups a new beautiful breed created! Call xxx-xxxx

K9soul
03-28-2004, 04:52 PM
I'm getting slightly off topic here, but wanted to say a couple things.

You made a good point Sandra about the 'free to good home' part. I guess when I see that, at least I know they aren't a BYB, although sometimes they can be even worse. I guess I'm recalling a pup my mom and I rescued off the streets when I was younger. We were afraid to surrender him to the shelter because it was a high kill shelter. We ended up as unofficial foster parents for him for six weeks, naming him Bingo. We think he was a lab chow mix, he definitely had some chow in him.

I do think I remember my mom putting an ad in the paper, and she didn't charge a fee for him, but she did carefully screen who he went to. The people drove from a rural area about 40 minutes away to come see him. He went to go live on a farm, and Mom kept in touch with his new family for awhile. I never saw him again, but heard good reports about him. I think my mom handled things as responsibly as she could with him. I can't remember if she put in the ad that he was free, she might have. Where I grew up, there were so many dogs running around unaltered, the shelters were overflowing. Three different times we rescued puppies, once with Bingo and twice with litters, which we took to the shelter. One was a litter from a stray female who had gone wild. One was a litter in a box dumped on the side of the road. This was in the Missouri Ozarks. People with boxes of puppies sitting outside of Wal-Mart was something you saw every weekend. :(

Anyway, I just have to repeat and echo the sentiments that this pup's best chance would be from a rescue. This, and the hundreds of thousands of stories like it, are so tragic.

tatsxxx11
03-28-2004, 05:00 PM
I completely understand what you're saying Jessica:) Honestly, until I started doing rescue work, it never woud have dawned on me to ask for money if I needed to rehome my dog. O\n the contrary, it would have upset me to think that anyhone would ask for money for a dog they loved but couldn't keep. But I understand the other side too. Good, caring, responsible people like your mom know how to pick out that family that will provide a loving home. For some others, I would worry that they would be so anxious to get rid of the dog, they'd take the quickest route. Your mom sounds like a wonderful lady. (Like her daughter:))

Miss Meow
03-28-2004, 06:42 PM
As Tonya said, at least they acknowledged fairly early that they're not good dog owners. There are too many dogs that are left in backyards to rot for years :(

They do sound like right tossers, though.

guster girl
03-28-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
Guster I know what you are saying, but I sure think a more responsible thing to do would be to forget about the money they've 'invested' and make sure this pup goes to a good home. Contacting a rescue organization would have been a much better step. They are still treating this pup like a commodity, not a life.

Also, to me it's not much better than 'free to good home.' Whether someone pays $600 or takes the pup in free doesn't guarantee it a good home at all. If someone says 'free to good home' and actually truly screens where the pup goes to, it's different. I am not saying that people who advertise this always make sure that they properly home the animal, but I imagine this family won't be screening anything and will sell the pup to the first person who offers up what they want.

I'm certainly not saying paying money or getting a dog for free guarantees anything. But, I do stick to my guns that "free to a good home" is just asking for trouble. If a person screens the prospective owners, that would be awesome. But, there are a lot that don't, and, the animals end up being bait or lab animals. I don't claim to know what they meant by "sacrifice" and I don't claim to know why they're asking $600. I think the best would be to take him to a breed rescue, but, the majority of people don't know that those places even exist. It's not stupidity, it's just not knowing. Did anyone call the number and give them numbers to breed rescues?

lovemyshiba
03-28-2004, 09:41 PM
That is a shame.
Poor puppy:(

The ads in the paper here are just as infuriating--just today I saw "golden retriever pups, great Easter gifts"--that made me so mad. I want to call them and tell them that a puppy is NOT a great Easter gift, but a lifetime committment, but I think I would be wasting my time.

I hope this particular pup finds a wonderful home.