PDA

View Full Version : How do I care for a New Born Bunny???? Help?!?!

delidog
03-28-2004, 05:12 AM
Joey just brought me a present...a newborn baby wild bunny...
I wrapped him in a towel,I have him in a shoe box in the garage...
I am waiting for a wildlife place to open...Should i give him Milk???
He is Very Weak & Obviously Stunned where Joey carried him in his mouth....Poor Thing!!!!

Cincy'sMom
03-28-2004, 05:55 AM
Poor Bunny!! I wish I had some answers! Hopefully one of the bunny moms will check in soon and can help!

Good Luck little bun bun....

delidog
03-28-2004, 05:58 AM
Amy,
Joey brought him in a little after 5...I let some milk warm to room temp. and used a plastic thingey from some calking...(not used)
He drank a little...I just called Treasure Coast Wildlife and they have 24 hr. drop off...I will take him there when it gets a little later...but I won't leave him if nobody is there to accept...I don't want him out all nightin a drop off cage...by the way,I am only Assuming its' a him...so young...

Cincy'sMom
03-28-2004, 06:01 AM
Joey must have been awful gentle not too injure the baby!

I was just in Pet General, and Fox Gal found a baby bunny too. I didn't go through the whole thread, but here is a link Mayor Karen posted with info on an orphan bunny...

http://rabbit.org/faq/sections/orphan.html

delidog
03-28-2004, 06:19 AM
Oh Thanks,Amy,
FoxGal on lives about an hour from me!!!1 Must be Bunny Season....
I have him in my Kitty carrier....He is dry & warm now...Drank a little more milk......
I took a photo of him....The towel he is on is just a Kitchen hand towel folded in half...to give yoyu an idea of his size...
I am calling him...BB...Baby Bunny!!!!

delidog
03-28-2004, 06:24 AM
Heres' B.B.!!!!

BitsyNaceyDog
03-28-2004, 06:29 AM
I wouldn't give him milk. Cow milk actually can do more harm than good. Baby bunnies have very sensitive stomachs. Goat milk works the best. Also, if you've never fed a wild bunnie before you can do him a lot of harm, because you don't know the proper way. For the little while untl he wildlife center opens I would just keep him warm (put a heating pad on low under the box, feel it to be sure it doesn't get too hot.) I wouldn't give him milk if I were you.

delidog
03-28-2004, 06:29 AM
Amy,
Joey is My Gentle Giant.....
He would never harm anything...He did the same thing with a Sparrow last summer....Unfortunately,The animals get more scared than anything...But there was not a Hair (Excuse the Pun,Oh I meant Bun...)out of place...Joey just carries them....like Mom,I found a New Friend.....
B.B. is much more alert now.....
I am going to go check on him again...I wishI could keep him....But the dogs would have a Field Day!!!

I need the Mayor Bunny or the Zippy Cat to Wake Up!!!!!

delidog
03-28-2004, 06:39 AM
KBlaix,
Gotcha,I understand...Do you think he should have water???
I was worried about dehydration....

delidog
03-28-2004, 06:41 AM
Unfortunately,they are not open on Sundays...I just thought I would wait till I thought someone might be there to check on the animals

delidog
03-28-2004, 07:15 AM
O.K....Its' almost 8:20...I am going to bring the dogs in,then take B.B. to the Hobe Sound Wildlife Rescue....
I really hope that somebody is there this morning....I left message at 6:50 a.m....haven't gotten a call yet....

I Hope Somone is there to accept B.B....
Otherwise it will be a fast round trip....
Please wish me luck!!!

Karen
03-28-2004, 08:47 AM
Did you read the info on rabbit.org? They have good concrete information.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/orphan.html

Cincy'sMom
03-28-2004, 09:31 AM
What a little cutie!!! Was anyone at the rescue?

My SIL also has a gentle giant...her Malamute mix loves the bunnies. Once she caught him and her beagle mix licking a bunnyo nthe back porch. Anthoer times, the malamute was outside and she could tell he was holding something in his mouth. She told him to drop it, and out hopped a little bunny. He wasn't hurting it, just keeping it warm in his mouth!

Good luck and let us know!!

delidog
03-28-2004, 09:45 AM
Hi Everyone!!!
Thanks for all your help & Info....
I took him to the Wildlife Refuge...got there about 9:30...Nobody there...I left 2 more messages on the way...
The drop off boxes were in the shade...I was too scared he would be cold....so I hung around,Called my vet....called the 24hr.clinic...they both said to leave him.....they felt if he was healthy enough to endure Joey Breath,he would survive an hour in a box.....I was filling out the info form that they leave out,and a Girl came along that worked there...She explained that the drop-off is checked each hour during the day....
Anyway,I filled out the form,Gave a 35.00 donation(thats' All I could afford)...I figure that will buy him some formula....And I left B.B. there...she said to call and check on him in 3 days....They will refer to him by name....So He is now Officially Bunny Nicole:rolleyes: :D ...Now I hope that He is a She!!!!

Oh it was hard to leave him...But I feel he will be properly cared for now...Thats' My Sunday A.M. Bunny Update!!!
:)

lovemyshiba
03-28-2004, 10:05 AM
What a sweetie Joey is.
And how nice of him to bring you a present--he has some good manners:p

I'm glad the bunny is ok--good job taking care of him until you could get him to the center!!!!!

dukedogsmom
03-28-2004, 11:57 AM
How adorable! I envy you. Just don't treat it like that teacher in the dog house did! Hope it does well and we get to see more pics

aly
03-28-2004, 12:02 PM
Awww Nicole, how wonderful! I am glad the little bunny butt is in good hands and glad that you took sure good care of him/her while you had him/her! If it turns out to be a boy, maybe they will name him Joey!

Karen
03-28-2004, 01:01 PM
Glad Bunny Nicole - or Bunny Nicholas, whichever the case may be - is in good hands. That's one strong baby bunny, as s/he survived being carried in Joey's mouth - even adult rabbits can quite literally die of fright, and Bunny Nicole didn't!

Now, Joey, no bringing mom any more living presents for a while, okay? Sticks are good gifts, or the occasional neat rock ...

green_chameleon_girl
03-28-2004, 01:36 PM
aww how cute!!:D There are so many bunnies (babies) around here.. I just leave them, Im so glad the bun is in good hands!!

delidog
03-28-2004, 06:35 PM
Oh you guys make me feel better...
It was very hard to leave him...
I'm standing at the gate,Giving the girl (That Works AT the SHelter)Directions that I got off of Pet Talk & the Links Suggested!!!
Shes' Giving me the "Lady I do This Every Day Look!!!!" So, I apologize and hand her the Bunny...and a Check...Does that help guilt??? Not much..
Karen
So Right...Joey,I am Over the Live Gifts for now.....Even though Joey REALLY did Not hurt him at all....He carried him from one side of the yard to me...(Thats' 1/2 acre)...when he Placed him down (he did Not drop him) the Bunny was Screaming Of Fright...I had Never heard that sound before!!!!! It was terrible....I thought that Joey was Killing him...
I have seen the goats that Faint from fright...but I never heard a Bunny Cry.....SAD!!!! but once I picked him up he stopped...
I looked Everywhere for a Nest as soon as it was light out....Still have not found one....There is alot of building going on here,so he might have gotten Misplaced....But he is safe now...I will call and check on Him/Her...So I can call him by the Proper Name;)
Nicholas or Nicole....Whew!!!!!
What A Day!!!

Miss Meow
03-28-2004, 07:39 PM
I hope Nic bunny baby is OK. Sounded like an exciting day for you all!

ramanth
03-29-2004, 08:11 AM
Glad it all worked out!

One year while the farmer next door was tilling the alfalfa field he found a baby bunny bouncing around. He stopped, scooped it up, and after a few minutes found the nest. He purpously tilled around the nest so as not to disturb it, (but had to stop constantly to catch baby bunnies bouncing in his way). Talk about paitence!

He checked on them one last time and the mother was still nowhere in sight. He left them alone confident the mom would come back, but when darkness fell, the temps dropped and we had a spring frost. He got nervous and didn't live nearby and so called the neighbor who called us. We went out with a flashlight, found the nest and the bunnies towards the front of the nest had froze to death keeping their siblings warm. :( No sign of the mommy.

So we hand raised 6 baby bunnies. Lots of formula with eye droppers and sleepless nights. When they were big enough to eat dandylion greens, we let them go. :)

delidog
03-29-2004, 06:00 PM
Awww!!!!
Kim....Sad story...But True!!!!
Nature is a force not to be reckoned with!!!!

But at least you saved 6!!!!

Katiesmom
03-29-2004, 06:53 PM
My husband and I were out of town a couple of days and when I came back I checked in on my rabbit Cotton and found a wild baby rabbit in there with her. Cotton took right up with her/he and vice versa I about couldn't seperate them but anyways I took the baby out to try to feed it and give it something to drink and it would eat and drink a little but not enough.....the next day the poor thing past away...I think it scared itself to death:( but anyways just thought I would share my experience with a wild baby rabbit.