PDA

View Full Version : Pet Partners

guster girl
03-27-2004, 06:58 PM
Has anyone taken part in this type of thing? I'm looking to go next Saturday to a training course/convention to learn more about the Pet Partner organization. I'd love for Finn to be a benefit to society that way! Just wondering if anyone is or knows anyone that is part of it. :) I'll let you know if I get to go and what I learn if I do. Hope I get to attend it.

tatsxxx11
03-28-2004, 06:03 AM
Are you talking about "Pet Partners" program associated with the Delta Society, doing visits at nursing homes, hospitals, etc? It's a tough course but fun! The handler has to pass a written test, then you have to pass a demonstration test where both you and the animal are tested ! I studied for the the test at home using their materials then went for the team evaluation. She flunked the "ignore food" test! lol! But, I was certified with my cat, Oliver! Now we're completing the Animal Assisted Therapy program, which is an advanced course for medical professionals who wish to use animals in the treatment of patients. You're going to have a blast! I saw on the website Texas has a lot of locations to take the course!

guster girl
03-28-2004, 12:38 PM
Yup, that's the program! The course I'm going to is only for me, it's not for animals. I'm just going to get more information and find out what it will take. Finn isn't even eligible for evaluation til he's a year old, and, he's just now 3 months. So, I have time to see if it's something he and I can do. I mean, I know he can, it's up to me, though. :) I've always been interested in those kinds of programs. I'll let you know if I get to go and how it goes if I do.