PDA

View Full Version : Hobo update

Glacier
03-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Hobo is still at the vet. I'm going to pick him up in an hour or so. The doctor working today is not our usual Dr. Rick, but one of his associates. She's a young, german lady who has a very holistic, alternative approach to vet care. Not many of our animals have seen her, but she seems perfectly competent and has some new ideas.

It seems that Hobo is reacting to the wound reopening. The underlying muscle is exposed and it likely hurts every time he moves! This wound is a spot where the wolf grabbed a chunk of fur and ripped it off. The skin went with it and there was nothing left that could be stitched up!! So naturally it has been slow to heal. Dr. Zita is going to pack the wound with sugar, which will apparently help speed up the healing process. Hobo is already on anti-biotics so no need for more of those! He will have a fancy bandage wrapped around his leg and over his back to keep it in place. He'll need to wear his cone for a few more days again too.

I have to find a way to keep him from moving--i might have to crate him!! He's gonna hate that!! But he'll be able to run again sooner if he stays still for awhile!

tatsxxx11
03-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Poor Hobo:( It's a tough haul getting wounds like his to heal by second intention (without suturing) The sugar should help. That's an old but tried and true method. Hopefully Hobo will do his best not to be too active. Poor guy...bandaged leg, a cone and maybe the crate:( Paws crossed that this time's the charm. Hugs to Hobo!

delidog
03-27-2004, 09:25 PM
Oh Poor Hobo!!!!!
Well,At least he is making progress...
The Sugar Bandage is nothing new...I used it on horses 20 years ago....The grain works to stimulate the Proudflesh...sort of forcing it to find a new place to mend...Since their is no blood going to it to stimulate the new flesh....
If she puts a cabbage leaf on a shin splint,I know shes' Good!!!;) :)

Some people call these wivestales...I've seen these remedies work.....

Hugs Sweet Hobo!!!!
Feel better soon...Don't let the Big Bad Crate scare you...Its' for your own good!!!;) :)

Thanks for the update,Glacier!!!
And Thanks for being such a good mother!!!

delidog
03-29-2004, 04:23 AM
Hi Glacier,
Hows' Hobo doing today???
Any improvement????

Did he learn to accept his Crate???

Hope all is well!!!

ramanth
03-29-2004, 09:55 AM
Poor Hobo. :( I hope he heals up soon! :D

Kona & Oreo's mom
03-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Best wishes for Hobo. Poor boy, I hope he heals soon and cooperates by resting.

Glacier
03-29-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by delidog
Hi Glacier,
Hows' Hobo doing today???
Any improvement????

Did he learn to accept his Crate???

Hope all is well!!!

He's much better today. The fancy bandage wrapping the vet put on didn't last long. Even with a cone collar on, he somehow got it off during the night on Sunday. I'm leaving the cone on so he can't lick at it at least. He's weightbearing on all four paws and back to his happy, silly self. He's taking Metacam for pain control, it also makes him a little tired which is helpful. Still on two different antibiotics for the infection in his front paw. It seems to be clearing up well.

He didn't seem to mind being crated too much. He's back in his own self-made crate for the day today--he drags all his blankets into a closet with no door and hangs out in there. I put a short leash on the wall so he can't move too much.

thanks for asking about him.:)

Logan
03-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Hopefully Hobo will be better soon, Glacier! I am continuing to pray for complete healing!!!! :)