PDA

View Full Version : New tricks ^_^

slleipnir
03-27-2004, 12:56 PM
I'm finally teaching the dogs new tricks. I haven't in soo long :X I'm lazy. Anyway. I'm teaching Zeke to wave (he's got it down good) and crawl (also doing good with it) and next I'll teach recall. I think that's what it's called anyway. Josie does it really good. I just wave my hand behind my back and she walks behind me and sits at my other side. So I'm trying to teach Zekey too. I know that came in very handy when I had Jo in agility.

Anyway, I'm teaching Jo to bow. She'll do it if I put my hand on her belly to start. My smart puppies! I'll maybe take pics once they'll do it better..but it'll be hard to see I guess.

I have a question though. Josie is a little food crazy. She's very easy to train because of it, but she kinda over does it a little I think. She constintly paws at my hand when I'm trying to do anything with her (if I have the treat in my hand) and I get quite the claw marks :rolleyes: I was curious if anyone elses dog does this or did it? I'd like her to stop but I can't seem to get her to..

veegan
03-27-2004, 01:25 PM
oh yes a lot of dogs do that. Brock not only paws me, but he seems to think "speak" will always get him food.. lol And a lot of times when he REALLY wants the food he just runs through everything he knows; speak, roll over, sit pretty, etc.. It gets kinda crazy, I know what you mean.

Usually what I do is say "no" and then turn around ignore him for a few seconds until he calms down a bit. Usually he does calm down pretty fast. So you might want to try that, just ignore him, walk away, stop training, whatever, for about 30 seconds more or less, (you can decide on how long you think is enough, but it doesn't take long for dogs to get it) and he should learn pretty quick that if he freaks out he doesnt get the treat, since thats what you know he REEALLY wants.

Good luck, and have fun! :D

slleipnir
03-27-2004, 02:21 PM

tatsxxx11
03-27-2004, 05:40 PM
Wow, ver impressive, Zeke and Josie:) I'd love to teach Cody and Star to wave:D

Audrey, Star's VERY food motivated. As you say, great for training, to a point:D When she starts getting to anxious about getting a treat, I hold both hands up, palms open, to show her "no treats." Of course they're in my pockets. But even if she smells them there, showing her my empty hands and saying "all gone" usually calms her down. And a bit of ignoring:D

CamCamPup33
03-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
I have a question though. Josie is a little food crazy. She's very easy to train because of it, but she kinda over does it a little I think. She constintly paws at my hand when I'm trying to do anything with her (if I have the treat in my hand) and I get quite the claw marks :rolleyes: I was curious if anyone elses dog does this or did it? I'd like her to stop but I can't seem to get her to..

Yep. Cami does it too. It makes it hard for me to train her, so i'll try what Veegan said to do! :)