PDA

View Full Version : Proms

catnapper
03-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Tonya's thread about winning a second prom gave me an idea for a new thread... let stalk about our proms. The good, the bad, the Oh-My-God stories!!!

I'll go first:
I was incredibly shy in highschool. I also had a huge crush on this one boy. One day, a mutual friend mentioned that he wanted to ask me to the prom. Inside I was jumping with delight... outside I said, "Gee, I've never thought about it. Sure, why not?" He never asked me (I guess he was hoping for yes, yes, yes!!!) A few weeks before prom, he asked my other friend.:( I had asked a coworker friend (a college boy ooh-la-la) if he'd go with me but his girlfriend wouldn't let him.. I said we'd go just as friends. He knew I had no romantic interest in him but his girlfirend didn't believe him.

Two weeks before the prom and I still didn't have a date. I was ready to go stag. I didn't care. One night my best friend was talking to her brother who was going to college in Texas. He was appalled that I had no date and called me that night to ask me to my prom.:D

He skipped his Friday classes to fly into Pennsylvania and take me to my prom and flew back to Texas on Sunday. He was my night in shining armor. I had the BEST time at my prom while all of my friends broke up with their boyfriends during the prom. He dropped me off and gave me a sweet little kiss on the cheek. Sigh... he was such a gentleman!

And my highschool crush? He and my other friend had a horrendous time. He sat at the table watching with jealousy as my date and I had the time of our lives.

RubyMutt
03-27-2004, 12:04 PM
I have a sorta funny story, it might be one of those "you had to be there" moments, but I'll share anyway, it's funny...

My friend, Cerissa, and I LOVED going to dances. We always looked forward to them. However, when it was time for our prom I didn't have a boyfriend or a date. It wasn't a big deal, Cerissa's boyfriend at the time, Ryan, was older, already graduated high school, and didn't want to go. So, Cerissa and I convinced our friend, Carly, to go with us and we'd just do a "girl's night out" thing.

Cerissa, Carly, and I met Ryan and our other friends, Justin (who is my boyfriend now, lol, but he wasn't at the time - obviously), and Ericka, at Black Angus for dinner. After dinner Cerissa, Carly and I borrowed Ryan's car to take to the dance and Ryan, Justin, and Ericka all left in Justin's car.

So, we went to the dance, met up with a few other friends, had a great time. Blah blah blah. Then, it was time to leave. We started to walk back to the parking garage to get Ryan's car. Ryan, Justin, and Ericka were going to meet us right outside so we could all go hang out. So, Cerissa, Carly, and I are walking through the small parking garage and we soon realize that Ryan's car was missing. Of course we start freaking out. Assuming the car has been stolen, Carly goes back into the lodge where the dance was to call the police and Cerissa and I go to meet Ryan and tell him the bad news. We find Ryan and Ericka (Ryan tell's us that Justin was tired and wanted to go home, but he let them borrow his car for the night). So, Cerissa breaks the news to him and Ryan just says "Yeah, whatever, go get Carly and let's go" (thinking that we're playing a joke on him). So Cerissa says, no, really, your car is gone. Ryan and Ericka just laugh. So, I shoved Cerissa out of the way and just started yelling at Ryan about how he better call the police and try to get that car. I don't care about his car, but I want my wallet (which I had left in the car because I didn't want to carry it around inside). So after about 10 minutes of this (I was getting REALLY POed) Ryan finally says "Justin took the car guys, it's not stolen, I swear". I swear to you, I was THIS CLOSE to ringing his neck. I was so POed. Then Cerissa and I remember Carly went inside to call the police so we ran in there trying to stop her (keep in mind we're doing all this in formalwear, lol). We get in there and Carly is crying, talking about it to some woman, while other people were trying to find a phone in the place (thank goodness they couldn't). So we told Carly Justin took the car and she ran out there to chew them out as well.

We all hung out the rest of the night, but I was so POed at Ryan and Justin (and even a little at Ericka) I could hardly stand to be around them. lol. I eventually got over it... It's one of those things we all look back and laugh about now.

Wow, that was a really long story, I hope I didn't bore you all to death! :o

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2004, 12:07 PM
my prom is in june :p. I cant wait... here in Canada it isnt called a PROM, it is called a GRAD.. dont ask why.. We dont have a king or queen, which I think is good, because that is evil.
My moms GRAD was evil, she spent weeks making her dress and her date ditched her at the ceremony. :(...
MY dads was ok though he went with his girl friend at the time and partied after.
I hope mine is fun. i will be going with a few girl friends.

RubyMutt
03-27-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
my prom is in june :p. I cant wait... here in Canada it isnt called a PROM, it is called a GRAD.. dont ask why.. We dont have a king or queen, which I think is good, because that is evil.

It's funny, at my high school we had a prom and a "Senior Ball". Prom anyone can go to, but Senior Ball was Senior-only. I had an awesome time at my senior ball - no "stolen cars" there ;) We didn't have prom king or queens either :o

slleipnir
03-27-2004, 01:03 PM
We call it prom here lol :X

Rio and Me
03-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Ours was called "Summer Ball", I went with a load of girly friends and our dates, we all hired a streatched limo, it was great.
After we went to my "at the time" BF's river house which was down by the Tamar River (well known river round here), to party all night, lots of alcohol, etc.
It may have been in the summer but it rained the whole day and night,lol.
Also my parents hadnt been divorced long and my dad came down from the city to see me in my dress before the ball, so that made me happy, (i have a photo of him in his dirty work cloths and me in my £215 dress,lol)
Ky and Rio

ChiRen
03-27-2004, 01:36 PM
Well, I'm only a sophomore and our prom is junior/senior. However, my boyfriend is a senior and we'll be going together. :D I'm so excited! :D:D
I don't really know what to expect, but it should be great. Our school is renting out a huge boat at Navy Pier in Chicago and the dance is going to be held on it.
One of Zach's ((my boyfriend)) good friends is having what's supposed to be an awesome after-party that is going to like 3 or 4 in the morning...so I can't wait! lol. :p

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-27-2004, 01:53 PM
In South Africa we call it a "Matric Farewell". Ours was a formal dance, followed by an all-nighter at a nightclub. Mine wasn't very good, as my BF at the time couldn't go with me. He had just had a horrendous motorbike accident, and was at home with two broken legs, one broken arm and no front teeth!

2kitties
03-27-2004, 02:43 PM
Prom was huge in my hometown. Like most, it was jr/sr. but you could go as a frosh and soph if a jr/sr. asked you. Luckily, I had an older boyfriend so I was able to attend all four years' proms. Soooo much fun. Getting all dressed up, going to the after parties (except I had to be home by 2 my freshman year.) I really enjoyed it.
My mom didn't go to hers because she was dating my dad and he was in Vietnam. I think that is probably why she was so gung ho and all into me getting to go and having my dream dress every year, etc.
We did it all though. It was a huge deal. Hairdressers in the morning. Makeup lady after that. Then meet with other couples, visit everyone's house for photos, then go to the photographer for sitting, then out to dinner at swanky restaurant then to the prom. I'll never forget it. Always a blast.