PDA

View Full Version : Dog food....

DogLover9501
03-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Is Canidae a good dog food?

Ingredients~
Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid), Menhaden Fish Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Lecithin, Brewers Yeast, Natural Flavors, Monosodium Phosphate, Choline, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Ferrous Sulfate, Mixed Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E) Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Manganous Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of B2), Yeast Culture, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Streptococcus Faecium Fermentation product, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Niacin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, D- Biotin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium, Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Papain, Bacillus Subtilis, Aspergillus Niger, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

Also does anyone know if it comes in a lamb and rice formular?

Thanks!

lovemyshiba
03-27-2004, 10:03 AM
Yes, Canidae is a good dog food.

Here is a link to a comparison site on it:
http://www.greatgoldens.com/reviews/DogFood/canidae.htm

A friend of mine feeds Canidae to his Australian Cattle Dog, and she thrives on it. She has high energy levels (what ACDs don't?), a beautiful coat, good teath, good breath, and small stools.

I don't believe they make a lamb and rice formula, but I could be wrong.

Here is their website:
http://www.canidae.com/

mugsy
03-27-2004, 10:22 AM
We've never fed Canidae, however, that list of ingredients doesn't impress me a lot, but better than most. Mike and I did lengthy research on dog food and unless you get food like Flint River Ranch (which we can't afford with 11 dogs), the best we've found is Exclusive made by PMI....here is the list of ingredients...compare and see what you think. They DO have a Lamb and Rice Formula....slightly more expensive, but, in the long run still not bad. You do not feed them as much. Our Danes are on 4 cups a day and the vet said to cut back slightly. There's also not a lot of clean up, if you know what I mean. Their website is: http://www.purina-mills.com/main.html however, I'm not sure if they have stuff about the dog food or not, but, there is a finder to find a feed store in your area that carries it. We pay $24.95 for a 35 pound bag and we buy 6 bags and the 7th is free....ok...here are the ingredients:

Chicken (fresh human grade), chicken meal, rice flour, oatmeal, whole grain brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), corn gluten meal, dried beet pulp, flaxsee, dried egg product, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, brewer's dried yeast, potassium chloride salt, choline chloride, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplements, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, and folic acid

Crude Protein=26% (min)
Crude Fat=15% (min)
Crude Fiber=3% (max)
Omega-6 Fatty Acids=2.5% (min)
Omega 3 Fatty Acids=.4% (min)
Glucosomine=300ppm (min)
Chondroitin=100ppm (min)

Hope that helps!

veegan
03-27-2004, 01:40 PM
yeah its good. I fed felidae to my cats and didnt really like it for them cause it made their poo smell really strongly (lol when you have a litter box in your bedroom these things matter..)

but it is what Brock used to eat before I had to switch him to IVD (a vet brand/perscription food) and he LOVES it. he ate canidae at his foster home and then when I adopted him I switched him to wellness, and then while he was having diarrhea (before we found out he has EPI) I tried switching him back to the canidae thinking maybe his body didnt agree with the wellness, and as I was mixing them, he would pick out all the canidae first and only because he was so hungry, did he eventually go back and pick up the wellness pieces. lol

however, different foods affect dogs differently. Innova is another good food, but my friends dog always had loose stool while he was on it so they switched him to wellness and now he does fine. so if you are interested, just get a small bag and see how your doggy does.

DogLover9501
03-27-2004, 09:59 PM
Okay thanks.

I may be looking into feeding raw diet.

Is it more expensive?

veegan
03-28-2004, 12:00 AM
is what more expensive than what? Canidae is one of the more expensive foods as far as regular dog food goes (i.e., more expensive than purina or eukanuba, etc) and you can usually only get it at specialty stores not at a chain like petsmart or petco.

I dont know much about raw but Ive also been thinking about switching to a raw diet recently, and from what Ive been hearing, I believe if you buy premade raw food it is a lot more expensive than even the high end dog food like canidae, but if you make the raw diet yourself it is about the same or even a bit less than regular.

Hope that answered your question. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
03-28-2004, 07:21 PM
I've also never used Canidae. I looked it up in The Whole Dog Journal and they listed it as a "top quality food".