PDA

View Full Version : Royal Canin

jenfer
03-26-2004, 04:35 PM
Have anyone try this dog food? I went to a petstore close by my house and asked them to recommend a dog food to me, cuz Gigi seems like she is not too interested in her food (Nutro Natural Choice--Lamb and Rice for puppies). She recommended Royal Canin. Looks like this brand is specifically for smaller dog. She gave me some sample which I can let Gigi try. But I just want to hear some opinion from you guys. Or you have recommendation on other brand??? Thanks.

CamCamPup33
03-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Never heard of it. But here is a site on it..

ROYAL CANIN (http://www.royal-canin.de/)

CamCamPup33
03-26-2004, 04:55 PM
OOPS! :o It's all in... german i think.. Lmao. Sorry!

binka_nugget
03-26-2004, 05:06 PM
LOL Amber!

Here's the american site: http://www.royalcanin.us/

Here are the ingredients of Puppy 33 - Mini formula.

"Chicken meal, chicken, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), brown rice, dried egg product, beet pulp, natural chicken flavor, brewer's yeast, salmon oil, potassium chloride, zeolite, rice hulls, chicory extract, salt, choline chloride, salmon meal, dried apples, dried blueberries, taurine, vitamin E supplement, Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles, ascorbic acid, flax seed, marigold extract, monosodium phosphate, folic acid supplement, zinc oxide, iron sulfate, manganese proteinate, biotin, sage, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, calcium pantothenate, tocopherols, dried ginger, garlic, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, vitamin A supplement, rosemary extract, pyroxidine hydrochloride, sodium selenite, niacin supplement, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12 supplement, calcium iodate, vitamin D3 supplement."

It looks decent I guess. I don't like the fact that they have corn listed as the third ingredient but for the most part, it looks fairly good.

We've never tried it but I could recommend another brand if you decide to look around more. Chicken soup for the dog lover's soul seems to be a big hit with the picky eaters. I'm not a big fan of kibble but this stuff has wonderful ingredients and my dogs are doing really well on it. They have nice energy levels and Kaedyn doesn't even act his age. You really wouldn't be able to tell he's 5/6. I know a couple other pet talkers have tried this stuff with great success.

K9soul
03-26-2004, 05:59 PM
I feed Royal Canin but it is the holistic one..called Natural Blend and has no corn in it. Here is the link to the review on the one I use, it tells all the ingredients.

http://www.greatgoldens.com/reviews/DogFood/royalcanin1.htm

They seem to have two grades of food, and this is their higher grade. One thing I like about it is it has a lot of herbs/antioxidants in it, which I personally like seeing in their food.

Good luck if you try it!

Lixx
03-26-2004, 08:29 PM
I feed Royal Canin to Dante, and he loves it. Granted he is only 1, but I have never had any problems with it.

countrycowgirl
03-26-2004, 11:20 PM
I JUST READ IN THE INGREADINTS AND IT SAID BEET PULP THAT IS SO COOL!!! THAT IS WHAT I FEED TO MY BRAHMAN SHOW HEIFER IT HELPS BLOW HER UP BEFORE A SHOW SEE WHEN YOU FEED IT TO THEM YOU EITHER FEED TIWET OR DRY(WET IS BETTER) AND HEN GIVE THEM WATER AND IT MAKE THEM LOOK ALL NICE AD FT AND PRETY FOR THE SHOW!!!!!:D :D :D ITALSO HELPS TEIR SKIN AND COAT SORRY I JUST THOUGHT THAT WAS COOL ANYWAYS I HAVE NEVER USED ROYAL CANIN

shais_mom
03-27-2004, 12:07 AM
I SWEAR by that food! (The HOLISTIC BLEND) The cat food and the dog food.
My RB Shaianne had frequent bouts of colitis and gastritis and that was the only thing I could keep feeding her that she wouldn't throw up. Her coat improved she sparkled in the light. Kylie (kitty) got a little plump on the Indoor Cat formula and the Slim version didn't help with her hairballs and a combo of the 2 didn't allow her to lose any weight. But If I ever got a kitten I would DEFINATELY feed that.

clara4457
03-27-2004, 07:16 AM
I don't have any experience with the dog food, but I do feed Sam the dry cat food. He is on the lite formula (fat cat :) ) and does very well on it. Beautiful coat and is slowly losing weight on it.

I like the fact that they have different formulas for different dogs. I know small breeds have different nutritional needs than large breeds.

lovemyshiba
03-27-2004, 10:11 AM
I have used and am again Sensible Choice, which is made by Royal Canin.
Kito has been eating it for almost a year, because he has a sensitive stomach, and it's one of the foods he won't throw up.

Interestingly enough, I switched everyone to the Chicken Soup food about a month ago. Sorry to be blunt, but the poop was outrageous:eek: Jada and Abbey, who usually only went once a day were going 2-3 times a day--big ones too, and not very solid.
Kito was going 3 times a day, and Riley was going 6-8 times a day, and his was never solid at all. The store I was getting it from was out, and I ordered some, but in the meantime I put everyone on Sensible Choice. I don't have nearly as many piles to clean up out back, and Riley isn't having any accidents downstairs anymore.
Unfortunately, the store ordered 3 of the large bags for me, and it came in yesterday and they're waiting for me to pick it up.
I may try it again for a couple of days, and then donate the food somewhere if I have the same results.

veegan
03-27-2004, 01:30 PM
yes it is a good food, my dad recommends it too (he is a vet)

*EDIT* however, different foods are better for different dogs, so try her on that sample and see how she likes it.

jenfer
03-27-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by veegan
yes it is a good food, my dad recommends it too (he is a vet)

*EDIT* however, different foods are better for different dogs, so try her on that sample and see how she likes it.

Is it good? The ones the lady recommended is Puppy 33 - Mini formula, the one Binka is talking about. I gave her some along with her regular dog food today, seems like she doesn't care too much about it. I will try again tomorrow. If she doesn't like it that's fine. She eats Nutro Natural Choice now, is it good too?

veegan
03-27-2004, 11:55 PM
I dont know anything about Nutro Natural Choice. Sorry :-/