PDA

View Full Version : Lookie! Vegetable garden! :p

K9soul
03-26-2004, 11:10 AM
My domain seems to be down at the moment so I'll attach the picture... This is part of this year's vegetable garden :D

Most of those are tomatoes (two different varieties) and some peppers coming up behind them. Not all have sprouted yet. :)

Logan
03-26-2004, 11:12 AM
Good for you, growing from seed!!! :) Hopefully soon you will be able to get them in the ground outside!!! My husband is still "hemming and hawing" about whether we will do a garden this year. Last year's was a bit of disaster due to all the rain. I want to, and hopefully can convince him to help me!!! :)

Good luck with the growing!

tatsxxx11
03-26-2004, 12:00 PM
LOOKING GOOD JESSICA!:D Growing from seed is the most rewarding expereince! Did you grow them in a peat tray; looks like it! They're great when it comes time to transplant to a larger pot. Did you use a heating mat? I have a few extras I could send you if you ever want to try that out; maybe next year. Can't wait to see them "all grown up!":D When is it warm enough there for you to set them out in the garden? Have you ever tried the "wall of water" system? It can give you a huge head start on the growing season. Better shut up now; I could go on and on!:D Great job!

K9soul
03-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Thanks Logan and Sandra!

I agree it is very rewarding to start from seed. Those are peat pot trays, and David has a nice setup that he put together with supplies from Home Depot last year complete with lighting, little heating mats, a fan, and an automatic timer for the lights.

They should be ready to go out into the garden in about mid-May (about six weeks from planting). We also have a bunch of seeds for other veggies and flowers that we'll direct sow too. It's so warm out today (60!), and I'm so impatient for the plants to come up outside :D

I'm not familiar I don't think with the wall of water system. You'll have to tell me more about that! :)

tatsxxx11
03-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Wall o Water (http://www.wallowater.com/) :D

lizbud
03-26-2004, 05:23 PM
K9soul,

I really like the plant setup.:) Do you keep the plants/seeds
covered while they are inside? I'd love to have a garden some
day, but I have neighbors with very green thumbs, so I get free
veggies all summer.:D

I'd of made a great farmer b/c I just love digging in the dirt.:D

GoldenRetrLuver
03-26-2004, 05:40 PM
How cool!
Most of our plants/flowers are in the front yard. We hardly have any flowers in the back....thanks to two nawtee pooches. ;) My dad always teases and says "You know, our house would be much nicer if we didn't have those dogs!" I'll respond, "Yeah, sure it could be...but it'd be a whole lot more boring!" :p

Nice job, Jess!

Karen
03-26-2004, 05:41 PM
Oooh sprouts!! Good thing Miss Hoppy can't get those! A few years ago I had lavendar sprouting on a sunny windowsill. Miss hoppy ignored it until, I guess, it was "just right" - and in a few seconds, it was all gone. Oops!

You know, now that you've started, you'll have to periodically update us with more pictures!

K9soul
03-26-2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks for that link Sandra, I looked it up and they do sell those in my area, I will have to check it out!

Liz, we keep them covered until they've sprouted and then uncover them, but they have little heating mats underneath the trays. We have it set up in the basement so use the lighting and heating mats. When it gets warmer we start moving the containers out onto the patio since natural sunlight is still best, but we can take them in if it will frost or get too cold.

Last year we raised some plants from seed and then bought a few to fill in. The seed-raised plants grew so much bigger and healthier, we will probably just do all seed-grown on the garden unless we lose some plants for some reason.

Here are a few pictures of some of last year's produce.

Onions
http://www.doordolt.com/~jfrank/summerpics2/onions.jpg

Jalapeno peppers still on the plants
http://www.doordolt.com/~jfrank/summerpics2/pepperplants.jpg

A few tomatoes, some apples from the apple trees behind them.
http://www.doordolt.com/~jfrank/summerpics2/countertomatoes.jpg

Some jalapenos, bell pepper, and tomatoes
http://www.doordolt.com/~jfrank/summerpics2/panpeppers.jpg

It's a very fun and rewarding experience. The soil here is very rich naturally and plants really thrive well with fairly minimal care. :)

K9soul
03-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Oooh sprouts!! Good thing Miss Hoppy can't get those! A few years ago I had lavendar sprouting on a sunny windowsill. Miss hoppy ignored it until, I guess, it was "just right" - and in a few seconds, it was all gone. Oops!

You know, now that you've started, you'll have to periodically update us with more pictures!

Thank you Karen :)

Well we have a bunch of Miss Hoppy's wild cousins all over that we'll have to watch out for too when we get to planting more. They have left all kinds of evidence.. aka fertilizer, all over the yard by the bushes and trees.

My grandma once had an incredible garden in Southern Missouri, but she lived out near woods and had to fence in the whole garden with very high fencing and with chicken wire over the top to keep the deer out. Nothing kept out the box turtles though :p

lizbud
03-26-2004, 06:07 PM
WOW, the tomatoes, onions & peppers look great. Yum...:)

The soil around here has a lot of clay & it takes a lot of "help"
to produce veggies that good. They look delicious.:D