PDA

View Full Version : Do you brush your cats teeth?

lat192004
03-25-2004, 09:50 PM
Have you ever brushed your cats teeth? Did you try brushing your cats teeth, but it was such a bad experience you will never do it again? Does your cat let you brush her teeth, and actually enjoy it?

jazzcat
03-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Nope, never tried. I value my skin too much.

I just feed them tartar control treats and I've had Ripley's teeth cleaned by the vet. I'll do the same for Jazz and Scout when needed.

catnapper
03-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Both guys will let me, but I haven't gotten around to buying the toothbrushes and toothpaste. I'd like to because at 3, Allen's starting to show signs of tartar... isn't that awfully young for a cat to show signs of tartar?

nibblets
03-26-2004, 01:09 AM
No way...Julie has claws and the girl knows how to use em when she needs to.
I have her to where she almost tolerates getting her claws trimmed...usually in two sittings, front and back. :D She makes some wild noises when we do it too. There is no way she would go for the toothbrushing.

catmandu
03-26-2004, 09:11 AM
I iwsh that I could , but even Michael , and Moose , who are very gentle , will not let me touch them , and the Siamese Squad , forget it!

moosmom
03-26-2004, 10:22 AM
With all due respect...

BUT WHAT'RE YOU NUTS???? :p ;)

I can barely clip my cats nails let alone brush their teeth. And I have 8 cats!!!

The only time my hands ever got CLOSE to a cats mouth was when I was trying to grab a pregnant cat and she clamped down on my finger.

NEVER AGAIN!!!

guster girl
03-26-2004, 10:30 AM
I try to brush Lock's teeth every night. And, he's a Bengal. :) He's declawed, now, but, even before he was, he was good with letting me do whatever with him.

Uabassoon
03-26-2004, 12:26 PM
I brush my kitties teeth, they are both pretty good about it. Usually with Corkscrew I wait until he is sleeping or half asleep, then I really have no problems with him.

Laura's Babies
03-26-2004, 05:34 PM
I just do not think I could afford the TREATS!! After trying the soft paws I had to give a treat to ALL of them after every one I got on Giz,..10 claws, 3 cats = 30 treats. So we start over with the uppers (treats) Lowers (treats) on down the line.. Hay, the vet already says Chester is to fat!

I don't care HOW quiet you open the treat jar.. or how HARD they are sleeping... THEY ALL HEAR IT the minute you pick it up!! No, I think I just talked myself out of doing that tooth brushing thing...

lat192004
03-26-2004, 08:04 PM
I see that the majority of us either don't brush their cats teeth, or don't because the cat doesn't want to let them. I have one cat, Angel, a Tabby, who is a pretty mellow guy. I cleaned his teeth once, and he hid from me for a day after it was over. It must have insulted his dignity.

carole
03-26-2004, 08:12 PM
Like the rest I value my life, I wish I could do my older cats, as I know he has tartar build up, and will need a professional clean soon, which is expensive and a bit traumatic for the cat, but what else can one do apart from dental treats, tartar still seems to build up.

catnapper
03-28-2004, 01:35 PM
I broke down today and bought the toothbrush and paste. Allen was not too happy at first - squirmed out of my arms and went running. We caught him and managed to do a fairly decent job. He eventually opened wide for me to get those back teeth!:)

http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/kimmel101/Being%20Silly/toothbrush.jpg

My red shirt was a beautiful shade of Allen orange afterwards... man he can shed when upset!

BitsyNaceyDog
03-28-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
With all due respect...

BUT WHAT'RE YOU NUTS???? :p ;)

I can barely clip my cats nails let alone brush their teeth. And I have 8 cats!!!

Ditto, except for the part about 8 cats, I only have 7.:)

veegan
03-28-2004, 09:24 PM
my cats are 7 & 8 years old and Ive never brushed them or had them cleaned. I have been meaning to get them cleaned so I can start brushing them weekly because I know they would let me, but I just havent yet. :-/ I think I'd better do that before they get much older. Felix is such a fradey cat though, that Im afraid he'd have a heart attack before we could get him anesthetized....