PDA

View Full Version : disc dogs

guster girl
03-25-2004, 09:05 PM
Hey, all! I just got two training videos and a hyperflite disc for Finn to learn to catch a flying disc. I'm excited. I haven't watched the videos yet, but, I'll let you know how they are. They look a little outdated as far as clothing, but, I would think the training is basically timeless. :) Any suggestions or advice or do's and dont's for training would be appreciated! Thanks!

ParNone
03-26-2004, 09:43 AM
Hi gustergirl!

I didn't use a training manual, so this probably isn't the "right" way, but I've got my Collie catching frisbees pretty good. When he was a puppy, I started tossing treats to him to catch. Once he got the concept of catching and thought it was just the best thing, since he was getting treats, I started tossing just all kinds of things at him, stuffies, tennis balls, toilet roll holders, pieces of plastic or cardboard and of course a soft rubbery frisbee. Just whatever he'd bring me, I'd throw it. At first I threw directly at him, softly though. Then I started tossing to the side. Then not only to the side, but a lil' bit behind him. This was all done from a fairly short distance away from him. I made a game out of throwing it unexpectedly and at all kinds of different angles, so he'd get into moving and catching and honing those reflexes. Once he was proficient at catching all kinds of things, all kinds of different ways, I started taking the frisbee and tossing it further and further behind and away from him. Since he was so use to moving to catch things, it was an easy transition from this point, to get him to start running and catching the frisbee as it went away from him.

I will say I also tried this technique with my 2 Cairns and it didn't really work. The male Cairn got really good at catching treats and stuffies, but I never could get him interested in the frisbee. The female Cairn would let the treats bounce off her head and then eat them, so I was never able to even get her to catch anything. So some of it depends on the dog I think on how successful you can be.

Good Luck! There's just about nothing funner than frisbee. :) Look forward to seeing pics of Finn, catching his frisbee.

Par...

guster girl
03-26-2004, 10:28 AM
Yeah, I'm excited! I watched one of the videos last night, and, tried a couple of the tricks with Finn. He loves the disc. I think he'll be easy to teach. I already held him up for him just a little over his head and told him to take it and he jumped for it. He's already 75% with "bring it", and, I'm teaching him "drop it", too. He just adores the frisbee, though. I need to watch the other video, though, to learn the best ways to throw it for him. :) I will definitely take photos, though, when I can.

ParNone
03-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Sounds like you and Finn are off to a great start and you've got the added Retriever bonus. :) That part wasn't so natural for a Collie. He does pretty good about bringing the frisbee back, but a lot of times, he'll get about 10-15 yards from me and stop and drop it. So I usually have 2 frisbees and I throw one, and go to pick the other up, while he's going after the thrown one.

Par...

tomkatzid
03-26-2004, 11:15 AM
I teach my pups basically the same as parnone said. Lucee has really become good quickly. My dogs don't bring it back to me so well, but they are getting better.
My first frisbee dog was a springer named augie, he is at the rainbow bridge. He was so good at it and so eager, he always brought it back and BEGGED me to throw it again. We used to go to a local park where other frisbee dogs hung out, and we would all just put on a show. A springer is somewhat unusual among all the border collies etc, but augie could really fly!!!
Sound like finn is going to be good, get some pics of the action for my upcoming frisbee dog/action dog thread!!!.......tom

guster girl
03-26-2004, 12:57 PM
I will get some photos of him catching the frisbee as soon as I can a second person to take the photos! :) I'm actually getting ready to practice a little with him before I get ready for work. He's definitely interested though. He seems to love the disc! :)