PDA

View Full Version : Neighborly Overtures (poor little pups)

rachel_in_FL
03-25-2004, 02:28 PM
Advice/feedback WELCOME!!

I live in a borderline neighborhood where to the south are expensive homes protected by historical designation and to the immediate east is a government housing scheme (projects). The problem is this: Many of the people in my borderline neighborhood are renters who don't qualify for public housing, but can receive government assistance in the form of stamps, utilities, etc. For cash, they rely on an underground economy of gangs, drugs, and dog fights, since on-the-books jobs would deny them benefits. Obviously, the dog fights are the thing that no one pays attention to when it comes to neighborhood initiatives. Animal Control says they can't go in without an exact address which I can't get without risking personal safety. The local police's gang unit says that FL gang legislation mandates common benefit as a necessary element of prosecution, which dog-fighting does not meet. Rescue groups will not come in because they are not profitable enough to maintain liability for the high risk of personal injury.

My reaction is twofold: EVERY time I see a dog running around solo I do my best to lure it into my driveway. If it appears to be a pawn in this activity (and the signs are pretty obvious), I put my pups outside and bring the new one in where I call Animal Control to come to my address. This is not particularly successful because the animals end up put to sleep almost always, and it's very difficult to get abused animals into the home. I am VERY lucky (and so are the dogs!) that my husband has the touch of St. Francis - can catch wild rabbits, rear featherless baby birds, etc.

My other reaction is to talk to the neighbors as much as possible. I see a young gun with a pitbull and I roll down the window. "Hey, nice dog . . . You didn't clip his ears? That's good. It's so cruel to do that . . . You ever take him to the park to play ball or anything? Mine love that . . . Well, take care of him for me. He's a looker." I have no idea if this has any affect on people - I doubt it - but I want for them to understand just a little that animals are companions, but also a responsibility, not an opportunity for a wad of cash, let alone an acceptable target for viciousness.

I've been doing this steadily for almost two years, and in those two years, the neighborhood has gotten better s othe problem has dissipated, but I'm not so foolish as to think its disappeared or isn't going on elsewhere. I also don't think its OK to let it alone just because it's gotten a little better. (Remember when we did that with AIDS? Bad news.)

Anyway, this isn't such a nice posting, but I've read a lot of nice things so far, so I thought maybe someone else had a tip or two. I've gotten good ones that have been effective from other people I've shared this issue with, so . . .

CamCamPup33
03-25-2004, 02:38 PM
Im not sure i could be of any advice.. But it seems so sad! :( How could people do that with their animals just for money? :( It's horrible.. And cruel!!

Can't the animal control officers just drive down and around, in an un-noticable car and look for suspiscious things?

By the way-- Welcome to pet-talk! Im amber.. :)

lbaker
03-25-2004, 02:42 PM
You and your husband sound like the kind of neighbor to be extremely proud of. If I lived in your neighborhood and were asked to join in your efforts it would be hard to say no. Have you gone door to door to ask for volunteers? Any neighbors you know well enough to lend a hand? Let me think a bit more on this but I just wanted to say welcome and lend a bit of support. You are "our" kind of people here at PetTalk :) WELCOME

Laurie

Smilla
03-25-2004, 02:47 PM
Kudos to you for trying to do something about the problem, and for initially approaching the issue with kindness towards the perhaps suspicious-looking young people with pitbulls.

I'm afraid I don't have any tips; however, I do remember hearing that pitbull fighting was a problem in some of the Boston neighborhoods, and that something was passed (or was in the act of being passed) wherein a police officer could demand that anyone who looked under 18 who was seen walking a pitbull had to show their license upon request. (I gather it was mainly a problem with young people.)

I can't find any information on the internet, but I do know that the person who told me this was involved with the Animal Rescue League of Boston (http://www.arlboston.org/Main/index.aspx)--perhaps they would be of more help.

Good luck!

rachel_in_FL
03-25-2004, 02:53 PM
Also, just for clarification, not just pits are victimized. Pits seem to be the main fighting dogs, but various mid-size mutts are used as bait and training aids. Apparently, roosters are part of this somehow, too, as I came across several gored ones on a bike ride last summer.

Thanks for the tips so far, esp. about the legislation, which seems to be part of what holds up a solution. City Council is no fan of mine from my 1st days in town, but it might be time to pay another visit . . .

lbaker
03-25-2004, 05:35 PM
:( So sadly you're right, but you're trying.. and that's all any one person can do. doG bless you.