PDA

View Full Version : How many signs does one need?

Rio and Me
03-24-2004, 07:56 AM
Rio is aggresive to strangers ever since i got her, yet ever time we have introduced her to a stranger she has bin scared aggresive yet NEVEr bitten anyone, and i thought she would never bite (unless obviously neserccery).
But just in case i have brought loads of signs say, Beware of the dog, Beware dogs running free, Guard dog Beware, Do not enter, My personall favirate How fast can you run? (with a picture of a dog underneath the dog it say 0 to you in 0.4 secs).
Well earlyer i was on the net and the door bell rang (our door bell is attached to the gate not the door) so i went down stairs opened the door as normally (letting the dogs run out as the person "should" be out side the gate, but not this jack***, he came in the gate and to my utter suprise Rio took hold of his leg and shock it like i'd never seen before, i quickly grabed her collor and pulled her back, and the guy (i'd never seen in my life) lunged at rio (whom i'm holding back) shouting like growling at her, and she pulled so hard i couldnt hold her and she got his arm this time and just as i grabed her of him he kicked her in the tummy, Thats was it Rio was no longer in trouble HE was, i shut her indoors quickly and when i came out he was checking his "wounds" and i lost the plott i ran at him pushing him out of the gate slamming it shut and letting the dogs out again.
He had the nerve to say to me "I hope your rich girl cos you got some hefty bills heading your way", I said yer you not getting nothing but a vets bill for what you did, and i'll pay you to have reading lesson as you so cant read.
I went in with the dogs and rio was fine luckly.
I dont think she did much damage becasue she has mucked up teeth etc.
No way am i paying nothing to that freak.
long thread sorry but sheeash what does one have to do to make it clear DO NOT ENTER.
Ky and Rio
PS we will still go to our IAL, and Rio is not in trouble with me, she's still my angel

K9soul
03-24-2004, 09:40 AM
I'm sorry to hear this...

I don't know what your laws are like there, but here in the US, it doesn't matter if you have signs all over. If a dog bites someone, no matter where, they are legally responsible. Even burglars trying to rob a house and who got bit by the family's dog was able to sue the owners before :eek:

It is totally not right IMO, totally messed up. Hopefully the laws where you are, are more reasonable.

If that man had just remained calm instead of lashing out, he'd probably be just fine.

lv4dogs
03-24-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by K9soul
I'm sorry to hear this...

I don't know what your laws are like there, but here in the US, it doesn't matter if you have signs all over. If a dog bites someone, no matter where, they are legally responsible. Even burglars trying to rob a house and who got bit by the family's dog was able to sue the owners before :eek:

It is totally not right IMO, totally messed up. Hopefully the laws where you are, are more reasonable.

If that man had just remained calm instead of lashing out, he'd probably be just fine.

It is like that in most states & counties but not every where in the US, it does vary, I know near Ocala Florida if you have a beware fo the dog sign up than your dog can even kill someone on your property & you will NOT be held responsible, HOWEVER here in upstate NY if you have a beware of the dog sign up you are at fault no ifs, and or butts about it, as you knew your dog was a danger to begin with so you are ALWAYS at fault.

Rio and Me
03-24-2004, 09:55 AM
Well If he go's to the police nothing will be done for two reasons 1) the police are lazy 2) my family are friends with our local police, our goats used to get out and they would catch them for us (one even had one of us) and when we were broken into (before Rio and beth) we had Beardies and we locked them in and when the police arrived to inspect damage etc, Mizzy our dog leapt through a window and bit the cop, he understood, but mizzy has bitten many people and is on the DDL, luckly hes old now and probly wouldnt bother anymore.
But i still dont know why this guy came to our house, and I've NEVER belived Rio would have done this, she knew somthing i didnt obviously.
No Rio wont be PTS, nore will I pay Damages cost, nor will he get an apoligy.

We do have similar laws about that stuff, Yet most should not be stupid enough to go to the police as its there fault.
Ky and Rio

K9soul
03-24-2004, 09:56 AM
Woops, my bad I assumed it was that way pretty much everywhere in the U.S. But it probably does go by city/county. I'm sure here the owner is always 'at fault,' which I very much disagree with. I would sure hope if someone was breaking into my house, or hurting someone here, that my dogs could bite to defend.

catnapper
03-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Did you ever find out why he was there?;)

Stupid, stupid people. He found the doorbell on the gate... that in itself would have said something to him.

Sometimes dogs are better judges or people than any human ever could be. My Nicki wouldn't ever bite or harm a person, but surely would be able to tear them apart if she chose to do so. (To tell you how mild mannered she is, she used to play baseball with the neighbor's kids. She'd catch a fly ball and go running up to one of the kids, who didn't hesistate to put their hands in her mouth to remove tha ball.) But one time I was walking her along the trails by my old house. It runs through the woods then out into a coorporate development center with businesses and restaurants. We liked that path because it ended at lake with a gazebo and she could chase geese. One day we were on the return trip home and this big biker guy was standing at the edge of the woods leaning against his bike. I didn't think anything of it since biker often go to the one restaurant by the lake. Nicki's fur was raised and she started a slow hunched creeping walk as if she was preparing to lunge. Gosh, I never saw her do that before. I was nervous, so I jokingly said to the man as we passed, "boy, she's a bit afraid of you." And he grunted and cracked his knuckles... we took off through the woods running (and not on the path so that he couldn't follow us.)

lbaker
03-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Sounds to me like Rio was protecting you from an obviously very aggressive, possibly very dangerous man. Surely the police would take that into account. I mean, what might the man have done to you if Rio had not been there at all, or had been quiet and docile?

Corinna
03-24-2004, 12:00 PM
I don't know about any where else but in washington and Montana if you post a sign it means you know you have a mean dog and you are automaticly responsable and liable. It is better to have a no tresspass sign. I know it is very frustrationing for those of use trying to protect our pets and the stupid public.

Twisterdog
03-24-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Corinna
I don't know about any where else but in washington and Montana if you post a sign it means you know you have a mean dog and you are automaticly responsable and liable. It is better to have a no tresspass sign. I know it is very frustrationing for those of use trying to protect our pets and the stupid public.

That's right. I saw on a national news program once (can't remember which one) that having a "Beware of Dog" sign on your property is actually one of the dumbest things you can do, legally. In the eyes of the law, you are admitting that you own a dangerous, uncontrollable animal - so dangerous and uncontrollable that you must warn people about it beforehand. Obviously, we all know that is not always the case, but that is how the courts will view the situation. The only signs you should have posted are "No Trespassing" and "Private Property" signs. Anything else can get you in big legal trouble.

Kfamr
03-24-2004, 08:27 PM
I think there was wrong on both sides. Wrong for him to enter your gate, wrong for him to touch Rio (yeah, lets hit/kick a dog that's already biting!), and wrong for you the way you handled it.

I wish the best for you and Rio for whatever this guy has planned. :(

Twisterdog
03-24-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I think there was wrong on both sides. Wrong for him to enter your gate, wrong for him to touch Rio (yeah, lets hit/kick a dog that's already biting!), and wrong for you the way you handled it.

I agree.

Karen
03-24-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
Woops, my bad I assumed it was that way pretty much everywhere in the U.S.

Pssst - she's not IN the U.S.!

I would not worry about any legal action, as he was trespassing, so there!

I am sorry this happened. I hope you and Rio both are calmed down now, and that you work with her so she doesn't do it again.

wolfsoul
03-25-2004, 01:24 AM
In most places, the only way you can get out of it without being sued is to have a "Beware of Dog" AND a "Do not trespass" sign. I'd check out the laws in your area and make sure if you are okay or not.

Rio and Me
03-25-2004, 08:38 AM
I still dont know who he was or why he was here (no-one was expecting anyone), I was a bit affraid that he was going to the police so i got there first, i rang them and asked where me and rio stood he said 1 sign he may not of seen but 5 he must have seen, so he's at fault, he said he had met rio when i went to catch my goats and thinks she stable and protective.
He said they had reports of the attack and since i rang and admited what happened he wouldnt do nothing, he did say get a "No trestpassing" sign, so you guys were right mine dont count (even though i have so many).

And i have a Beware of the dog sign and i had 1 made saying Be aware of the dog (be aware that there is a dog).
Any how rio is fine and i aint seen him since.
Thanks for your tips/advice etc
Ky and Rio

K9soul
03-25-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Pssst - she's not IN the U.S.!

You didn't read my first post, I was responding to lv4dogs in my second post, not Rio's mom.

I first said:

I don't know what your laws are like there, but here in the US...

Then I stated what I believed the U.S. laws to be. But lv4dogs informed me, which I should have known, that it went by county/city more. I never stated or assumed she lived in the U.S.

Corinna
03-25-2004, 06:21 PM
glad it worked out with the police. sounds like yours are helpful. how refreshing.