PDA

View Full Version : where do you leave your dog when you go on vacation?

SuperLab123
03-23-2004, 08:39 PM
if your not taking your dogs on vacation, with whom do you leave them with..

i have left sandy in a kennel once and have regreted it ever since they treated her horribly.., i felt so bad leaving her there i came back early got her.. and drove back on vacation (it was a 3hour road trip)
I always now leave my dogs with a family member or a friend.. they take great care.. i have even started a little buisness where i take care of dogs when their owner is gone.. so they dont have to lock thier poor puppies up in a horrible kennel!

tell me where u leave your dog!;) :cool: :D

pupslover
03-23-2004, 08:50 PM
our stories sound similar....

my boyfriend and i went to california for a week and i had no one to leave the pups with. so i let them with my vet, who my neighbors recommended and had always left their pets with. so i tried it...but much to my dismay, i found that due to my goldens nose being torn up from rubbing on cages all day, they must not have let them out much to play. i was more than upset to see my baby come home with a bloody nose and a scar to last forever. is this kind of thing allowed? to cage animals all day with no love, care, or play time?

i know NEVER to do that again! i felt like a horrorible mommy like i ruined my pups! not to mention that my shepherd learned to pee in her cage again and i had to re-train her in her potty ways.

i hope not to hear that many people do leave their pets at kennels, but i know i had to learn the hard way. :(

SuperLab123
03-23-2004, 08:55 PM
:( :eek: i cant believe that happened:( im so sorry ! that shouldnt be allowed.. if your going to leave your dog with a vet (especially) then they should let them out to go to the bathroom and play. thats so sad :(
i hope no one goes through what we have been through

GoldenRetrLuver
03-23-2004, 08:56 PM
At my grandmother's house most of the time. Although I hate leaving them alone for a long period of time (more than a few days..) my cousins are there to take care of them.

lovemyshiba
03-23-2004, 08:57 PM
:o We don't go on vacation:o

We have 4 dogs to take care of, lol:D

Seriously, though, we went away last fall for my cousin's wedding, and we found a great kid on our street who comes and stays with the dogs. We pay him, and he loves to stay in our house without his bratty little brother around, and all of the toys we have!!!!
He is so great with the dogs too!!!!!

Kfamr
03-23-2004, 09:03 PM
It won't be a vacation without them, i'd never be able to relax. We have never left them alone while going on vacation. We ALWAYS bring them with, and if it wasn't possible, I wouldn't go.

binka_nugget
03-23-2004, 09:03 PM
I don't go on vacations anymore. I gave up a trip to China because I didn't want to leave them behind with a stranger. If I absolutely had to go somewhere, I'd ask a friend to stay here with the dogs.

Logan
03-23-2004, 09:32 PM
I have a petsitter that I have used for 3 years now. Our "family" grew so large that I was having to board the dogs (2 at that point), then have someone come take care of the cats at home and the hamsters (we didn't have the birds or the two extra dogs at that point). She doesn't stay at my house, but comes at least 3 time/day, and if there is a storm or something, she will come more often. She puts them in for the night after a long play time, and comes back early in the morning to feed them and let them outside. She also comes at lunchtime. It is not cheap, but neither was boarding them. Everyone is much happier since they get to stay in their familiar surroundings and I am much more at ease too. Of course, I can still never wait to get home!!!! :D

pupslover
03-23-2004, 09:35 PM
yeah, i'm the same way. i hate to leave them...even for school and work. they are so spolied lol

Twisterdog
03-23-2004, 09:35 PM
I just KNEW this was going to be another boarding kennel bashing thread without even opening it.

Sad to say, I was right.

There certainly are bad boarding kennels. Sorry that some of you happened to find one. However, there are also wonderful boarding kennels out there. Usually, you can tell the difference with a quick tour and by asking a few pertinent questions of the managers. A little research goes a long way.

There are also horrible pet sitters out there. I have heard many pet sitter horror stories - like the one that "forgot" one of my customers, and her pets literally starved to death during her two week vacation. Or the doctor in our town who's neighbor didn't latch the gate while watching his dog, and his dog was hit by a car and killed. Of course ... there are also wonderful pet sitters. Just like there are good and bad vets, good and bad restaurants, good and bad hospitals.

I get so sick and tired of hearing, "All boarding kennels are bad, I know this for a fact, because once I left my dog at a bad one." One rotten apple does not make the whole bushel bad. Do some research, look around, ask some questions. A good boarding kennel is a GREAT experience for a dog, and they have a blast there.

Lissa
03-23-2004, 09:42 PM
I have only left Layla once in a nice boarding kennel. She was happy to come home, but she was completely healthy and happy, even giving kisses to everyone before we left. I hate to leave her just because I miss her soooo much. (I cried at night, and even had the kennel on speed dial so I could check on her.) If it's a day or over night thing, one of my friends is more then happy to watch her. I just can't be for too long since we have to sneak her in. I wouldn't have to leave her at all but I can't take her to my parents house for various reasons.

wolf_Q
03-23-2004, 10:33 PM
We pretty much take our dogs everywhere with us.

I remember a few times many years ago we left Reggie and Smokey with my Grandparents when we went on vacation.

I'm not quite sure what I'd do right now if I had to leave Nebo. I'm like completely paranoid! I've left him overnight with my parents, and that's fine, but I hate making them take care of him. I think if I was to go away for a long period of time I would put him in a doggy daycare. AFTER checking the place out and researching it. Like Twisterdog said, every daycare/boarding place isn't bad, you just have to find the right one. I've seen a few on the news up in SLC that seem pretty good I think!

Actually if I had the money, I would start my own Daycare/Boarding!

Tonya
03-23-2004, 10:50 PM
If it's just for the weekend, I leave them at home and ask my brother to come over. He spends time with them each day and feeds them. If it is more then a week, I kennel them.

Logan
03-23-2004, 10:53 PM
Twisterdog, I totally agree with your statements. All kennels are not bad! In my experience, the vet's office is not the best place to leave them unless they run a full time boarding service, in addition to the regular vet services. The only time I have ever left one at the vet was after Murphy's ear surgery last year. She was still bandaged and on heavy pain medication to try to keep her calm so she wouldn't dig at her ear. It was the best place for her to be at the time. I didn't want the petsitter to have to deal with that issue, on top of all the other animal care.

I am fortunate to have found a perfect petsitter. I have told this story before, but it bears repeating. When this particular lady came to meet me and my animals, she plopped herself down on a wet, dirty patio and let my Golden girls climb all over her and give her kisses. She won me over at that moment! But the kennel that I used, I would use again if necessary. In fact, when I moved last year, I boarded my two Goldens for a few days until things were settled here. There are pros and cons with both alternatives. Just wish I had a vehicle and place to go where all would fit and be welcomed! Wouldn't that be something to see?? :p

lovemyshiba
03-23-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

I get so sick and tired of hearing, "All boarding kennels are bad, I know this for a fact, because once I left my dog at a bad one." One rotten apple does not make the whole bushel bad. Do some research, look around, ask some questions. A good boarding kennel is a GREAT experience for a dog, and they have a blast there.

You're right, Twisterdog.
There is one boarding facility in the area that I would use if I had to. I have met the owners, and they said I am welcome to come at any time and check the place out, and get a complete tour.
I know the kennel my mother in law used to use here before she moved didn't even let you see the area where the dogs were kept.

I am very fortunate to have found the kid who takes care of our dogs for us. He knows the dogs, knows their routines, and knows who gets along with who, and what to do in the house. He sleeps here with them, and spends time with them when he is here. I love it because I know they are in great hands, and they are home, where they are comfortable.

jazzcat
03-23-2004, 11:14 PM
In the past 4 years since my parents became too sick and unable to come stay at my house to pet sit I started boarding Disney at a kennel. It's also where she is groomed and is a wonderful facility. They even have webcams for certain dog rooms. She's always been fine when we pick her up and by the time we get home you would never know she'd been gone.

My cats are another story. I've never gone anywhere since I've added Jazz and Scout so I'm worried. Ripley did fine here by himself with someone checking in daily but I don't know how three will do. I'll find out in a few weeks when we go on a weekend trip. I'm dreading it already.

pupslover
03-23-2004, 11:51 PM
I just KNEW this was going to be another boarding kennel bashing thread without even opening it.

as i was writing my above story...i neglected to say that i felt this way...i knew i had only tried it once and i HAVE heard stories of good ones. i honestly haven't done my research enough to put out a bad stereotype on boarding kennels. i'm sure there ARE really good ones out there. i do feel, however, that pets being in their own surroundings will always be better than putting them somewhere they are unfamiliar with.

but i do apologize for not standing up for the kennels out there that ARE good to their boarding pets ;)

tomkatzid
03-24-2004, 03:16 AM
We don't go if they don't go with us.

Kona & Oreo's mom
03-24-2004, 10:03 AM
After a little legwork, I found a fabulous kennel that Oreo loves. I asked my friends/co-workers for referrals and took tours before finding the right one. The dogs have large runs, in an AC and well-ventilated (clean-smelling) building, which is perfect for the hot, S. Calif. weather. She also gets "buddy play" every day, which is supervised playtime with the other dogs.

As I said, Oreo loves it there. When we drive up, she gets very excited and whines to get out of the car. Inside the office, she goes straight to the door leading to the back--she doesn't even say goodbye to me! :) Her reaction is what allows me to be able to relax while I'm gone--I'm confident she is having a good, safe time.

Tina
03-24-2004, 10:35 AM
If we are only going to be gone for the weekend, then my brother comes over and takes care of them.

If we plan be gone for a week then they stay with a friend,with a family member or they go with us.

K9soul
03-24-2004, 10:54 AM
I pretty much feel the same as some others, as far as it just wouldn't be a fun vacation for me without the dogs, so I try to make 'vacations' things like camping and so on where I can take the dogs with me.

Of course I agree not all kennels are bad, and not all pet sitters are good. I think people are really lucky if they have someone they trust to leave their dog with or to have come over.

When I was 15, I worked for awhile at a groom and board place, washing dogs for the groomer and other things. It was a nice place, with good play runs and I loved walking the dogs.

I know when Willie was hospitalized for a week or so after his spleen was taken out, my vet had an open door policy whenever I wanted to visit. I could even come after hours, just come and knock on the door in the back. They have blankets for all the dogs that they wash daily, but are always more than happy if owners bring their pet's own blanket, or a shirt or something for them to sleep with. I always got everything back freshly laundered even. I've seen all the kennels and they are immaculate. So I do trust my vet when my dogs have had to stay there.

ScoobyDoo-Doo
03-24-2004, 12:22 PM
I worked Night shift and long hours. I installed a doggy door for the dogs to come in and out when they please. However, I discovered that my dogs where getting to have a social life without me!!! My neighbor across the street was taking my dogs out and taking them to her house EVERY night to play with her dog. She even took them to the park and fed them treats!!! I also found out that another neighbor would take my dogs walking if I left the leashes out on the front porch! Other neighbors would come visit and play with them.
I decided to take a vacation for a week. I needed someone to watch my dogs. One neighbor got upset with me because I chose another neighbor to watch my dogs. They wouldn't talk to me for a week!
How spoiled are my puppies???

pupslover
03-24-2004, 12:38 PM
that IS funny!! what lucky pups....i find it odd though, that they never told you they were doing these things with your pups. but i guess it was all in good faith and as long as your pups are happy!

cute story!

ramanth
03-24-2004, 12:49 PM
My parents or Andy's parents have always been available to dog-sit Kia... whether it be for a day, a weekend, or longer. :)

I always try to give advance notice if I'll need them. Thankfully neither of them have been on vacation the same time, so I haven't had to kennel Kia.

The cats will stay home alone and my parents stop by every other day to clean the litterbox and check the food and water. :)

heinz57_79
03-24-2004, 01:49 PM
I used to work at a kennel, supposedly one of the better ones in town. And I'll tell you right now, I would NEVER leave my dogs there with them! I've seen how they're treated, and how they're left to mess in their cages. I'm even wary about taking them to groomers now, having done that too. So now, I leave them with a friend I trust when I go away and take them to a friend who I know is great with dogs while she's grooming them. Having worked in the industry, it makes me very nervous any time i have to leave them anywhere. :(

pupslover
03-24-2004, 03:05 PM
thats so terrible!

tikeyas_mom
03-24-2004, 04:56 PM
we never leave our dogs.. we always take them on vacation with us :)

Moose
03-24-2004, 07:11 PM
It depends. Normally, we leave the pups at my parents' place. We haven't had a problem with it yet...but I'm a little stressed out about what we will do when we move out to California. It will take me forever to figure out what to do with them! lol

KYS
03-24-2004, 07:39 PM
I have seen a couple boarding kennels on TV that look
better than my vacation. : )

I can not board my dogs, because personality wise, they
would be difficult, scared and hate it.
When we take off for a week, I leave them at home.
My Aunt comes over 3 times a day.
(dogs sleep in the house at night and are fed 2 times a day)
I am lucky that my Aunt lives next door to me.

QueenScoopalot
03-24-2004, 07:47 PM
What's vacation? :confused: :confused: :confused: (geesh I need a life lol)!

teenster3
03-24-2004, 09:53 PM
Ok......so I'm very emotional. Some of your stories made me teary-eyed. We don't go on vacation very often but, when my husband and I got married last halloween, we left my 1 dog at the time with my parents. I could never leave them with anyone else even if I wanted to. There have been times when my husband and I are out at a resturant and out of the blue he'll say "let's hurry up and get home, the dogs are waiting for us".....oh.....what a softie!!!!

Lissa
03-24-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by teenster3
"let's hurry up and get home, the dogs are waiting for us"

I'm the same way! I only go to classes and work without her and at the MOST those are 4 hour intervals.

Lissa
03-24-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
What's vacation? :confused: :confused: :confused: (geesh I need a life lol)!

I know how you feel. It's been about 5 years since I've been anywhere, except for a sort camping trip, which rained the whole time and was horrible! Wasn't much of a vacation. :(