PDA

View Full Version : Where did your dog originally come from?

wolfsoul
03-23-2004, 06:30 PM
According to statistics, about 65% of the dog population comes from backyard breeders. Second is puppy mills, and the smallest percentange of our dogs come from reputable breeders. I would like to compare these statistics to our own dogs at PT. :)

So where did your dog come from? I'm not talking about shelters or petshops or anything, but what it was born to...a puppy mill, a backyard breeder, or a reputable breeder. :)

aly
03-23-2004, 06:33 PM
My dogs were from shelters so I don't know where they were born.

GoldenRetrLuver
03-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Both were from BYBs. Molly's breeder could have even been a Puppy Mill.

micki76
03-23-2004, 06:42 PM
Chester is from a BYB. Millie and Aneko are from shelters, and Abby obviously is, too.

apcrs5122
03-23-2004, 07:18 PM
We got Alex from the shelter, but we know a lot about his history, but not where he was born. Since he's a mix, probably not a good breeder, most likely from a BYB or an accidental liter.

Our RB Akita, Luther, came from a responsible breeder, we checked them out very thouroughly before getting him.

catnapper
03-23-2004, 07:22 PM
I don't quite fit the poll. I know where Nicki came from... a nice lady had a mutt that got pregnant one night by the neighbor's Bull Mastiff. Sure, it was in a backyard that the event happened;)

wolfie
03-23-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
know where Nicki came from... a nice lady had a mutt that got pregnant one night by the neighbor's Bull Mastiff.

Really, Nicki has bull mastiff in her? I never would have though! Just goes to show you that mutts can have anything in them - even breeds you can't tell. Maybe Daphne even has poodle or something in her. You never know. :)

CamCamPup33
03-23-2004, 07:42 PM
Im pretty sure cami came from a puppy mill.. :( We bought her, and petland is supposed to be the ones who get their dogs from PM's.. :(

I hope not though..

RubyMutt
03-23-2004, 08:03 PM
I got Ruby from a shelter and have no idea where the family who had her before got her. I guess I always just assumed just she came from someone who's unspayed dog had puppies. I mean, she's not a purebred, so I don't see why someone would've been breeding her parents in hopes of making good money off the pups :confused: I dunno...

SuperLab123
03-23-2004, 08:04 PM
one of my dogs came from a yellow lab breeder.. and the other we adopted from abusive parents whom were moving.. so i chose reputable breeder:D

lovemyshiba
03-23-2004, 08:14 PM
This is a tough poll, since 3 of mine came from shelters, and I have no idea where they originally came from.
Kito was definitely bred through a reputable breeder, as he was supposed to be a show dog. Unfortunately, the woman who owned him and his sister got very ill, and had to rehome them.

Abbey came from a rescue, who got her from a shelter in Ohio.
Riley came from the parking lot of the SPCA, and I have no idea where the woman who gave him to me got him.
Jada came from the SPCA as well, and they had no information whatsoever on her.

catnapper
03-23-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by wolfie
Really, Nicki has bull mastiff in her? I never would have though! Just goes to show you that mutts can have anything in them - even breeds you can't tell. Maybe Daphne even has poodle or something in her. You never know. :)

You can tell by her broad chest and her "thick" tummy. People have always told me that she is too "fat" but when you rub your hand under her belly, you feel solid muscle. She is one strong dog and could probably knock a human down.... that is if she wasn't such a wimp! As it is, the most dangerous thing about her is her wagging tail. Her mom was this tiny thing - only about 25-30 pounds.:D

trayi52
03-23-2004, 08:19 PM
Buffy, my Chihuahua came from a reputable breeder. Dana came from a backyard breeder, I'm sure that the woman was a backyard breeder. My daughter and son-in-law picked her out for me about 3 or 4 years ago, never did get the papers on her. But I love her and I wouldn't take nothing for my sweet Rottweiler, she is just adorable with all people.

Buffy came from a very reputable breeder, I could not have asked for a better one that the lady that I got her from.

Willie

binka_nugget
03-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Kai's breeder was somewhat responsible but some things still irked me. He made us sign contracts, gave us lots of advice, told us that he'd take the pup back if we ever decided that we didn't want him anymore (HA! Like that'll happen), took really good care of his dogs, actively shows his dogs and also judges for the ckc as well. One thing that 'irked' me was that he didn't send us our CKC registration forms yet. It's been way too long so I'll have to give him a call and ask. Maybe he simply forgot.. who knows. But if I were to choose byb or reputable breeder, I'd say he's way closer to a reputable breeder.

Kaedyn, was from the pound. I think he would have either came from a byb or petstore/puppy mill though. The pound and the neighborhood knew the family didn't want Kaedyn anymore and if they had gone to a reputable breeder, I'm sure they would have returned him back there. So my best guess is a byb or puppy mill.

mugsy
03-23-2004, 08:25 PM
There is no option for ours....shelters, streets, etc....

Cincy'sMom
03-23-2004, 08:28 PM
None of the above...

Sadie came from a private home. A family took in her mom (purebred dalmatian) when her orignal owner was going to shoot her for getting pregnant and Sadie was one of the 11 puppies that wre saved.

Cincy also came from a private home. Her mom was a lab mix farm dog that was unspayed. Cincy was one of 8 of this dog's 2nd litter.

Spot came from a shelter in Marietta, Ohio

Lissa
03-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Friends of mine found Layla being abused on the street and ended up taking her home and giving her to me. Guessing from the area she was found in, and knowing she is a complete mutt, I would say accidental pregnancy or BYB. That's ok, she's safe and happy now, living the good life. I hope it makes up for anything she could have suffered before.

jazzcat
03-23-2004, 11:16 PM
Disney came from a shelter so I don't know. I think she and her sister were owner surrenders.

molucass
03-23-2004, 11:39 PM
Molly came from the side of the road when she was barely 4 weeks old, so my guess is that someones dog had pups, and they were "getting rid of them".

The people that had Annie owned both of her purebred parents.

When I had originally went to rescue her pregnant half sister, Baby (she is a pug/boxer mix, and was pregnant by a boston terrier), I saw Annie and asked her if she was trying to find a home for her too (she was a little bitty baby then), and she said no, but that if she ever decided she didnt want her anymore, she would let me know..
Well, about 2 1/2 weeks after Baby's pups were born, she contacted me and asked if I would like to have her, and of course I said yes. She had told me that Annie and Baby's mom had been hit by a car and killed, and that Annie's dad died from heartworms.
We were originally just going to find a home for Annie, but I decided that I couldn't part with her, and she has been here ever since. :) I found a home for all of Baby's pups, and a very very good home for Baby... I still see her all the time.

We were babysitting my friends double dapple dachshund and didn't know Annie was in heat, and she got pregnant. She never did get very big and I didn't know she was pregnant until the pups started moving and kicking... :o :eek: Annie had 6 puppies (5 males, and 1 female) and Bailee and one of the boys was my favorite 2 pups from the litter.. My parents didn't want a small male dog, so we found a home for him and his 4 brothers, and decided to keep Bailee...

The pit bull puppy, Jackson, came from a BYB obviously.

guster girl
03-23-2004, 11:45 PM
We got Finn from a girl who was selling the puppies for a breeder from Bonham. I know it wasn't the greatest of situations, but, the breeders only breed labrador and golden retrievers, and, all the puppies were healthy, no ear mites, no worms, they were all good natured, etc.....The girl was very knowledgeable herself and has two labs, both adults, that she'd gotten from the same breeder. Anyway, I don't know that I would say "reputable" breeder, but, I wouldn't consider them just backyard breeders, either...is there an in between choice? :0)

Rio and Me
03-24-2004, 06:04 AM
Rio was found just down the road from me (and my work), she was probly an accident as she is a mix breed mess up.
We live in the country and there isnt a demand for pedigrees so we dont have any BYB here, i'm not saying in england they are all good just that there arent many where i live (if any).
If i look in the papers in the petsection its either purebreds (not many yet probly good breeders) and mix breeds (accidents).
So rio was probly an accident, been rehomed and no-one wanted her. Their lose is my biggest gain,lol
Ky and Rio

ramanth
03-24-2004, 08:17 AM
I got Kia from the shelter when she was 3, so I have no idea where she was born.

K9soul
03-24-2004, 09:50 AM
I'd agree that a lot of pound/shelter dog mixes are probably accidental breedings.. People who had a female and did not get them spayed.

I remember when I was young, still with my Mom, we were driving down a road and saw an overturned box on the corner that looked like it had been thrown out. Mom saw something move, and slammed on the brakes. We got out, and there were puppies all around the box. Some were hiding in the brush in the ditch where it had been thrown. It was so... I just can't describe the feeling of finding something like that. I'm sure a lot of you can relate.

We gathered them all and took them to a shelter. Mom worked full-time and I was in school so we really didn't have the facilities and time needed to care for them. But they were all little fluffball cuties. I'm guessing Pom mixes. I sure hope all were adopted.

Anyway, as for mine, I believe Tommy was from a BYB. His first owners got him as a cute little puppy, and about when he was 6 months old, he was living outside chained up because he wasnt' a cute little puppy anymore. :(. A friend of my brother-in-law lived nearby and offered to take him (to get him out of that situation). Then my brother-in-law asked us if we would want him. Otherwise he was on his way to a rescue. Of course the rest is history.

Tasha I got as an 8-week-old pound puppy.

lv4dogs
03-24-2004, 09:55 AM
Nanook is a mix, came from the shelter, he was probably from an accidental litter??? not sure

Raustyk also came from the shelter, she is most likely purebred rott so I would immagine she came form a BYB or accidental litter. Not many pet stores in my area carry dogs, especially rotts

Tina
03-24-2004, 10:51 AM
Ginger came from what I consider a "BYB" the woman probably had over 10 min pins and over 10 chihuahuas. But at them time I got here, I didn't really know.

Josie came from a responsible breeder.

Kfamr
03-24-2004, 01:32 PM
Both of mine came from shelters.

I'm not sure of Nala's previous life, But Simba was a stray before the SPCA picked him up.

EssTer
03-24-2004, 02:36 PM
I'm sorry, but can someone explain me, what's Puppy mill?:rolleyes:

cocker_luva
03-24-2004, 03:53 PM
my baby girl came to us from a breeder in the next state. i like to imagine sometimes what her life would have been if we didnt get her; would she be a champion show dog? possible, but im just glad that this is her one and only home. :D

cocker_luva
03-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by EssTer

its a place where people breed dogs for quantity not quality. they're just in it for the money.

tikeyas_mom
03-24-2004, 04:46 PM
Tikeya came from a backyard breeder 5 years ago, and we didnt know what a back yard breeder was, they were charging an extra 300$ for pappers, so we didnt buy them. We just bought Tikeya papper less..
Oscar came from a backyard breeder, that bred shih tzus, and lhasa apso's, we think oscar is a cross between the two breeds because he looks nothing like a pure bred lhasa or shih tzu..she also charged more for papers which is illegal in Canada.

Baby came from a reputable breeder but she didnt come with papers, the papers are still at the breeders, we are getting them this april, her registered name will be "Paradise Valley's Baby Blue"..

Amber
03-24-2004, 04:57 PM
Katie was born in a home with a surprise litter. The family didnt know what to do with the pups so they took them too the pet store. And when I was 6 we went, and got katie.

Info took from my mom.

micki76
03-24-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by EssTer

A puppy mill is a place with horrible conditions usually with many, many different breeds of dogs. The dogs live in cages and awful conditions and have puppies every time they are in heat. They never have any human interaction. They never see a vet, get vaccinations or get their nails cut. Once they are too old to breed anymore (usually VERY old) they are killed. They (and their offspring) are horrible examples of their breed an usually have many health problems.

dukedogsmom
03-24-2004, 06:41 PM
Only Duke's mama/dad and God know where he came from. My guess is not even a byb but probably from stray dogs. Not sure, though. I hope all the other dogs that got dumped with him got good homes. I sure wonder about his brother a lot of the time.

Twisterdog
03-24-2004, 08:12 PM
I voted "don't know", since all my dogs were rescues, without proof of their origins.

However, just the fact that they DID end up at shelters and rescues tends to imply that they were bred either by a puppy mill or a BYB, since a reputable breeder ALWAYS screens applicants carefully and will ALWAYS take back one of their dogs, even a decade later.