PDA

View Full Version : Do window perches with velcro hold fat cats??

jazzcat
03-23-2004, 10:09 AM
I want to get a window perch for my gang to use but I'm worried about the velcro that holds them in the windowsill. Will it be able to hold 18 pound Ripley plus more if anyone were to give me a heartattack and join him? They say up to 35 pounds but I'm skeptical.

I have marble windowsills so using screws is out of the question.

catnapper
03-23-2004, 10:25 AM
I'd have to see how wide/thick the strip of velcro is, but my experience with vecro is that as long as the glue is properly adhered to the surface, the gripping parts will grip to itself perfectly and hold more than you'd ever imagine! Remember that velcro wall and people would wear "velcro suits" and jump onto the wall? Well, if it could hold a human, fat cats shouldn't be an issue.;)

Just make sure that you follow the directions for applying the velcro to your windowsill, because if the sill doesn't hold the velcro, then the perch won't hold Ripley.

jazzcat
03-23-2004, 10:27 AM
I had forgotten about the velcro wall, lol. How many times did I see that on Letterman in the 80s?

catmandu
03-23-2004, 10:54 AM
That is a good Question , as the las thing Iwould want , is one of my bigger Cats crashing to the floor , as they would never , ever trust the Cat Porch , again , not to mention , if they land on one of the other Cats!

catnapper
03-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by jazzcat
I had forgotten about the velcro wall, lol. How many times did I see that on Letterman in the 80s?
Are we dating ourselves again? Whats worse is that I remember going to nightclubs and bars and they had the velcro wall there as an attraction or competition... I soooo wanted to do it but my friends were so boring and thought it was weird.:D

catcrazylady
03-23-2004, 12:40 PM
I too have wondered about the velcro window perch. I know my crew would manage to get three or four wide behinds on it! I also wonder how much damage the glue on the velcro would do to my woodwork if I decided to remove it later on. Anybody had this experience?

Good question Jazzcat! It's pretty cool that you have marble windowsills! You wouldn't have trouble removing the glue from those.

Cataholic
03-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Jazzcat,
I have marble sills, fat, fat cats and two window seats. They are a huge hit. The seats that I have are velcro'd AND have those legs that support the weight and go up against the wall. They work great. I got mine at Petsmart...

artemis
03-23-2004, 02:36 PM
I also have one of these window perches - and my cats love it!! I have had several over the last 18 years, and they are always a huge hit.

I have painted wood sills, and in my experience the velcro strip always eventually separates from the sill (and yes, unfortunately, it does make quite a mess). What I did with this latest one (after it fell out of the window) was to use a carpet staple gun to re-secure the velcro strip to the sill. It seems to be working great so far - and I have seen ~24 lbs. of cat on it at the same time :D

PS. I don't know who was in it when it fell, but nobody got hurt, and they all started using the perch again as soon as it was back in the window.

Diane

Laura's Babies
03-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Funny this thread was started, I just made mine a window perch today and the thread is "Winner".. I measured the window, went to the hardware store and picked what I wanted and they cut it for me. Padded and covered it and they love it!!

sirrahbed
03-23-2004, 08:30 PM
Mine is a hit also. The strip is wide and long - plus the legs provide plenty off support. All three kitties have been on it many times and it seems solid as a rock. My sills are marble. I have moved the thing three times and it still sticks and has done no damage - but have only had it about 6-8 months.
18 pounds of cat...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/pb66be601ffa65228edc9c7e6f8524c94/fa869a4d.jpg
25 pounds of cat...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/p6bfb3b9871401945d9fe7baf4ff19245/fa463e82.jpg
:D

catnapper
03-23-2004, 08:32 PM
Does everyone in Ohio have marble sills? That sounds so pretty.

jazzcat
03-23-2004, 10:59 PM
You guys have sold me. Now my husband wants to a make it - hmmm, not so sold on that. I'd rather have tried and true holding my kitties.

Guess I'll just have to make one suddenly show up. I'm going to a cat show this weekend so maybe I'll find one there.:D