PDA

View Full Version : An Olivia Update :(

NoahsMommy
03-23-2004, 01:49 AM
Livvy is still peeing and pooping in our apartment. Our couch is ruined and we'll have to re-upholster the chairs for our dining table.

We've now tried everything at this point. She now resides in our outdoor enclosure from the moment I feed the furkids in the morning until we go to bed at night. Thankfully, she LOVES it out there. She runs out before I can get the screen opened and at night, David has to go in and carry her inside.

Our new plan is to keep her outside at all times. Even with her on her kitty anti-anxiety meds and being outside for what, 14 hours a day, we are waking up to poop on our couch and anything else that isn't carpet or table. :(

I need ideas on how to keep her warm at night. She has two small cat trees in there, 1 large lounge type bed, 1 cat tent, 1 orthopedic bed and a "carpet condom" on a chair for her to lay on/in. I want to put a fleece blanket out there for warmth, but I'd like more ideas.

In the mean time, we're trying to find a good home for her. While she may enjoy her time in her little outdoor apartment, she deserves someone to cherish her. :(

NoahsMommy
03-23-2004, 02:01 AM
These are older pictures, but it looks like this, without plants (Noel ate them all...) and with a thick tarp covering the top...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/p2864396a364c0d4a0fb87d118b8752db/fbef2496.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p54e1ed056302a3357770007594aaa8aa/fc2afbdc.jpg

Where Livvy spends her days:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid68/p74912422ee1a56095c665a2f2fa7837f/fbbee125.jpg

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-23-2004, 02:27 AM
That enclosure looks great - a real kitty hotel! Don't you get cat "electric blankets" or heated beds? How cold does it get out there at night?

NoahsMommy
03-23-2004, 02:33 AM
That is such a great idea!!!! I"ll have to check that out, thank you!!! :D

It doesn't get very cold in the Spring/Summer. I guess around 50-60 at night in the spring, much warmer in the summer. I keep ice water out there for her in the day as well as a frozen gallon of water to lick/lay against in case it gets hot.

PayItForward
03-23-2004, 02:36 AM
I am sorry to hear Olivia's problem hasn't improved :(

Have you got her on the same meds as Jen uses on Jim & Sterling ?

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-23-2004, 05:26 AM
Poor Olivia!

I am sorry i don't have any advice.. but i can give you my prayers....

give her a kiss for me!

catlady1945
03-23-2004, 07:45 AM
It looks very nice out there. You could put a couple of fluffy fleece blankets in the tent enclosure and she should be fine.

catmandu
03-23-2004, 09:02 AM
I would try the Fleece Cat Loo , or a plastic Dog Loo , which would give them Shelter from the Stormy Blast , as I recall , from a Hymn.

kuhio98
03-23-2004, 09:06 AM
Olivia has a wonderful place and she seems very happy there.

I highly recommend the Snuggle Safe product for warmth
http://shop.petmarket.com/snugsafmiche.html

You nuke it in the microwave for up to 4 minutes and put it under her blankie and it stays warm for up to 12 hours.

What more could Princess Olivia want?

catlover4ever
03-23-2004, 09:24 AM
Kelly, I'm so sorry to hear that Olivia's problem has not gotten better, however here are a few ideas for keeping her warm....

you could try the heated cat cup from drsfostersmith.com
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1475&Ne=40000&R=2969&N=2002+2008

they also have this a heated kitty pad http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10291&Ne=40000&R=17681&Nao=36&N=2002+2008

or what I did in the winter for my RB Cleo was to get a small dog house from Wal-Mart and line it with hay and cheap blankets. The hay works as insulation and the blanket just is something softer than the hay to sleep on. I have also used cheap down comforters to line the dog house with or even flannel sheets. I hope this gives you some ideas. I wish you the best with Olivia. --- Meg

ramanth
03-23-2004, 09:48 AM
No advice, but love the kitty hotel pics. :)

NoahsMommy
03-23-2004, 12:35 PM
Great ideas!!!! :)

I'm going to shop around for a small dogloo to put out there. I think I'll add one of those heating thingys to it so she'll be protected and warm.

Thanks so much everyone, I feel so much better with these ideas. :)

This morning after eating her med-laced food, she demanded to go out. That makes me feel so much better knowing she likes it out there.

RedHedd
03-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Poor chilly Olivia. The heated kitty beds from Dr. Foster & Smith look nice ... and I always LOVE seeing Noah! :)

catcrazylady
03-23-2004, 12:48 PM
I am really sorry that Olivia's problem is still there. It is certainly not from your lack of trying!! Goodness knows you have tried everything! I commend you for your patience because Olivia would be in loads of trouble in most homes.
I think the enclosure is wonderful!! My cats would love to have something like that!! If Olivia wants to live outside and is happy then I would let her be. You have provided her with anything a kitty could desire plus she can come in if she wants to! I think you may have the solution for both Olivia and you!!!

Good job Kelly! Thanks for loving Olivia and working so hard to find a solution.

kimlovescats
03-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Olivia is absolutely FINE in your enclosure! She obviously loves it, and there are easy-enough solutions to providing warmth in the cold weather! I would say, keep her! Most likely the change to a new home, would only intensify the naughty poopy behaviour, and the new owner may not tolerate it at all!!! Just my opinion, you are doing a great job with her!!! ;)

catlover4ever
03-23-2004, 01:07 PM
You know Kelly, sometime a girl just needs her purrsonal space. --- Meg

Felicia's Mom
03-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Sorry Olivia's problem isn't better. I don't have any suggestions, and I'm sure you've tried them all anyway.

Miss Meow
03-23-2004, 02:52 PM
I'm sorry that Olivia's not improving :(

I know you're doing all you can and it must be so frustrating.

We have an electric heat pad under the cushion in our cat bed. It might be useful to help keep Olivia warm on cold nights. It's about half an inch thick and has a heating element inside it that provides a low, slow kind of warmth. The cord is coated in thick plastic so it's chew-proof and runs on very little electricity. It's made in Australia so the brand won't help you, but a large pet supply or a shop that deals in pet/human arthritis might have something similar? Hope this helps.

catland
03-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Since you are in California - It doesn't sound necessary to get an electric source of heat. As long as she has an enclosure that is off of the cement and is lined or insulated some way, her own body heat will probably produce enough energy to keep her warm.

So sorry its not working out for her indoors - but you are doing what is best.

jenluckenbach
03-23-2004, 05:47 PM
I am so sorry that Olivia is not happy in your home, but knowing that she IS happy in the outdoor enclosure is comforting. She will have a good life there until a suitable home can be found. There ARE people who will take cats who have had problems in the past. And I have heard many stories, from those who have been in rescue much longer than I have, that many times the problems DO go away. So try to keep the faith that her solution is forthcoming. In the mean time, she looks content. (and I know that you still love her. You love her enough to find her a place more to HER liking)

moosmom
03-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Funny you should mention that!! I just today got the Foster & Smith catalog. In it, they have a "Cozy Cushion" with a thermo-reflective core that will keep Olivia warm and cozy without cords or electricity. It's $17.99. The item number is KY-13563 and it comes in Leopard or Gray Leopard. To order it, call 1-800-826-7206. Hope this helps!

shais_mom
03-23-2004, 11:29 PM
Poor Livvy!!!
I hope this works!!! Keep us updated!