PDA

View Full Version : Question I HATE people asking...

jenfer
03-22-2004, 08:43 PM
It used to be "Do you have a boyfriend?" Ok, I can forgive whoever asked, because they are just plain nosy. But what I can't stand lately is "How much is your dog?". I was ok the first time I heard this question, but then I think this is a very rude question, especially it's asked the first time the people see my dog. What would they think if someone ask them "How old are you?" the first time they meet someone. If ANYONE dare to ask me this question AGAIN, I would answer "PRICELESS" and if they insist on getting a number I would say "NON OF YOUR BUSINESS." I am sorry, but this question does upset me. And my dog IS priceless!

Please feel free to add your question...

wolfie
03-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Are they offering to buy her from you, or asking how much you paid for her? :confused:

If they are asking to buy her, I think they're just jealous of your wonderful Gigi. :)

But if they're asking how much you paid for her then yes, that is rude. It's not like a more expensive dog is better than a free one, or like you are a better or worse dog owner depending on how much you paid for your dog.

jenfer
03-22-2004, 09:25 PM
No, they are not buying her from me, even if they are...Gigi is NOT for sale. I don't know WHY they ask. They will ask "What's her name" "What kind of dog is she" Then out of no where: "How much is she"(as in "How much I have paid for her") :confused: :confused: Honestly I don't know why it should be asked.

Karen
03-22-2004, 09:29 PM
Priceless is the perfect answer.
It's honest!

Twisterdog
03-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Maybe they are asking because they are considering purchasing a purebred dog and want to know the price range?

micki76
03-22-2004, 10:54 PM
These are most likely the same tactless people who ask how much you make a year and how much you weigh.

Or they may be shallow and think that if it doesn't cost a fortune, it's worthless. I would respectfully decline to answer, and say that it's none of their business.

Or tell them $4500 and see if their eyes bug out! :p

catnapper
03-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Thats an odd question. It would have never occired to me to ask that question!

One question I get ALL the time is "So when are you two having a baby together?" Answer: we're NOT! (This is hubby's second marriage. We have three kids from his first marriage ---- notice I said "we have"? Their real mom's not interested in being in their lives and I'm raising them as my own. I'm not having a baby with my husband just because people think thats what stepmothers do.)

jenfer
03-22-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Maybe they are asking because they are considering purchasing a purebred dog and want to know the price range?

I can tell you that's a NO. :) The people who asked because they want to know how much I have to pay to get Gigi. I know the question itself is no harm, but WHY ask. I don't see the point.:confused:

Originally posted by micki76
These are most likely the same tactless people who ask how much you make a year and how much you weigh.

Micki, funny you mentioned this. I have an aunt who did ask me how much I made IN FRONT OF EVERYONE IN A FAMILY GATHERING. She asked not out of care or concern, but instead she wanted to put me down in front of everyone. :mad: :mad:

Cheshirekatt
03-22-2004, 11:38 PM
People are so rude sometimes!

Two and a half weeks ago I had a nose job. After about a week I just had to get out of the house even though I looked terrible.

lololol

People would be like, "OMG!! What happened to your face?!?!?"

How rude!! I figured since they had no business asking I'd just start making things up. Hehe.

I told one lady I was taking up amateur boxing, I told another lady that someone cut in line in front of me and I kicked her a$$!!

A couple of people got scared and kind of backed away. :D

jenfer
03-22-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Cheshirekatt
I told one lady I was taking up amateur boxing, I told another lady that someone cut in line in front of me and I kicked her a$$!!

LOL. I love your answers. :D How about "Someone asked me a dumb question and I kicked her a$$." hahaha...

Cheshirekatt
03-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by jenfer
LOL. I love your answers. :D How about "Someone asked me a dumb question and I kicked her a$$." hahaha...

Yeah, I started getting pretty creative! Hehe. Although my bf refused to go anywhere with me because he was convinced everyone would think he beat me up! If they only knew that I could totally kick his a$$!

G.P.girl
03-23-2004, 09:05 AM
you know what question i hate? i used to look alot like my sister when i was little ( i still do sorta) and people would alway s come up and ask :
LAdy: Oh how cute! Are they twins?
My Mom: no
Lady: are you sure?

lol i think that's so funny how could my mom not know if we were twins?? that's so dumb. and another time...
Lady" how

Laura's Babies
03-23-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by G.P.girl
you know what question i hate? i used to look alot like my sister when i was little ( i still do sorta) and people would alway s come up and ask :

lol i think that's so funny how could my mom not know if we were twins?? that's so dumb. and another time...
Lady" how

"Here's Your Sign!" as Bill Engvall would say!

catnapper
03-23-2004, 09:23 AM

HA! That reminds me, my brother and I are 14 months apart. We are basically carbon copies of each other (only he a him, and me a her:D ) mom used a double srtoller before they were used reguarly because it was easier than chasing after a 2 year old and holding a 6 month old. People would walk up to her and ask that question... my mom was like "ummmm... do you notice that she's running and he's barely able to sit up?"

My brother also was very good about falling out of bed as a kid and always had a good shiner. Mom said people would walk up to her and ak her if she beat him.:eek:

Corinna
03-23-2004, 09:27 AM
catnapper I liove you attitude about raising your children . I see too many combined familes and kids get the shaft most times.I nominate you mom of the month. :D

lynnestankard
03-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
My brother also was very good about falling out of bed as a kid and always had a good shiner. Mom said people would walk up to her and ak her if she beat him.:eek:

Oh yes - your Mum was going to stand there and say 'Yes of course I beat him'!!! :eek: :eek: What planet are those people on?!

Lynne

catnapper
03-23-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Corinna
catnapper I liove you attitude about raising your children . I see too many combined familes and kids get the shaft most times.I nominate you mom of the month. :D
*blushing* Sure, March would be a good month to be nominated... I'm not on anybody's mean list right now!;)

And yes, Lynne, I remember one time being in a department store riding the down escalator and two women made a comment from the up escalator about my brother's eye. Mom said I screamed back, "No, he falls out of bed you dummy!" ... I remember the incident, but not my comment, mom told me about the comment a few years ago. Ohh, I was a mouthy pistol!!!

Truffles
03-23-2004, 05:56 PM
the questions i hate are:

how much do you weigh?? if i wanted to tell someone my weight i would W/O them having to ask me first.

what happens during a seizure??? geez if i had a nickel for everytime i've been asked that i'd be rich.

the answer is always i have no clue cause i'm out cold during most and forget that it happened.

take care,

marylyn

RICHARD
03-23-2004, 06:07 PM
before it was
Why is your moustache red and your hair brown?

Then in the summer,

Why is your hair red?

Now it's,
why is your hair red, white and brown
or why do you have a four color moustache?

My answer?

I got it from my dad, the milkman and the postman.

:eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

G.P.girl
03-23-2004, 09:00 PM

Lady" how

lol sorry, i was late for school again:rolleyes:

ok so anyway it went like this:
my sister and i were waiting in line for the bathroom when this lady behind us starts talking to us
Lady: How old are you guys?
Me: i'm 10 almost 11
Ashalyn: i'm 12
Lady: oh how nice...are you twins?

HELLO??? of course we're not twins! oh yeah that's right...my mom was in labor for a year and a half:rolleyes: :p

apcrs5122
03-23-2004, 10:22 PM
My sister and I were at the store once (Eryn's 7 years older than me) and this is what happend (with another not-so-bright lady).

Lady (to me): How old are you?
Me (a little bit ago):12
Lady (to my sister): How old are you?
Eryn: 19
Lady: And she's your daughter?

Then she walked away acting discusted:rolleyes: Yeah, like my sister had me when she was 7:p

G.P.girl
03-23-2004, 11:14 PM
last summer (i was 13) I was in Wal-Mart and i was carrying my 4 year old cousin (He's so cute!!!) and he's the palest little kid i've ever seen and he has some of hte brightest red hair ever too. and if you remember pictures of me, i'm not pale at all, and ihave dark hair ect. ect. so anyway this guy is walking past me and he's like "is that your baby? he's cute!" i just kinda looked at him and was like ' um..i'm 13. he's my cousin." lol

pupslover
03-24-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

i think twisterdog has a point. i've asked people how much their dogs cost before as well as people have asked me. i don't find it rude. if people find a breed they are interested in, i see it harmless for them to just wonder how much that breed would run. i don't think anyone would have the intent of being nosy on how much YOUR dog cost. i think you may be reading into it a little too much and taking it personal.

if it does bother you, maybe in a polite way, you could simply return to them after they ask, 'are you looking to get one?' i think this would clearly state why they are asking...and i'm sure you'll find its because they are interested in the breed, not your financial life.

just a thought...

jenfer
03-24-2004, 12:17 AM
pupslover: the reason I am upset is because those are people I know who asked me those questions... I am sorry I didn't clarify that. It's nice for them to want to know about my dog, but WHY does the amount I pay any of their concern and I know they are not planning to get a dog. Maybe I should say I am "annoyed" by their question. Same as when my aunt asked me how much I made IN FRONT OF THE ENTIRE FAMILY. I am very annoyed. She thinks it's funny for me to share that info in front of everyone though.:mad: There are too many more questions that this aunt asked which makes me very mad.

pupslover
03-24-2004, 12:21 AM
ok. i understand you better now. sorry for the misconception. maybe making it clear to your friends, family, and loved ones that prefer NOT to share that type of information would make them better understand not to annoy/embarrass you. as far as everyone else out there in the world, i'd have a little bit more compassion, as not everyone can know or understand how or what you feel about certain things. we all make mistakes in life and just because its a pet peeve of yours, we may not all know that.

know what i mean? maybe for you to be more accepting of the things we cannot change, will allow these such things not to really get to you :)

popcornbird
03-24-2004, 12:26 AM
Oh..............I remember a question this lady asked me once when I was 12 that REALLY ticked me off.

We were at a picnic at some park. My mom went to the bathroom and told me to wait outside for her. This lady with 3 very young children walks by and stands behind me in line for the bathroom. She happened to be very short...........probably 4' 9'' or so. I was taller then her, but by face/size/etc. it was VERY obvious that I was a young girl. People would always tell me I *looked* even younger than 12 back then.

Anyway, she started talking to me as we waited. I was a shy girl, quiet, and didn't exactly like to talk to strangers, but because she was talking to me, I thought it would be rude to say nothing at all, so I told her that her little baby was adorable. Then, she asked me *Do you have any children?* My goodness! I hadn't even reached maturity at that time so it was impossible for me to have kids anyway. :p At first I was like this..............:eek::eek::eek: Then I asked her.......*Um, how would *I* have children?? She's like, *Why, you aren't married?* Again...........me.........:eek:........*I'M ONLY 12!!!*

She turned as red as an apple..........blushed, and told me *SORRY!!! I forgot my glasses at home.* Figures. :rolleyes: Why would anyone ask a 12 year old that almost everyone else thought to be just 10 or 11 if she had children? I don't think I have ever hated a question more than that. :p He he he..........

jenfer
03-24-2004, 12:27 AM
The funny thing is a lot of time I am annoyed/upset/angry after the question is asked or the event had happened. Oh well... I am feeling ok now. I won't let them get to me if anyone ever asked me the same question again. ;)

jenfer
03-24-2004, 12:31 AM
LOL, PCB...that's funny. I truly think we should think at least twice before we speak. haha... So how many children do you have NOW ? heehee...:D

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-24-2004, 01:09 AM
My worst one....... "when are you due"when I am NOT pregnant. (What makes it even worse is that we have been trying for a year, and it just remindes me that I'm not!

popcornbird
03-24-2004, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by jenfer
LOL, PCB...that's funny. I truly think we should think at least twice before we speak. haha... So how many children do you have NOW ? heehee...:D

NONE................and I still don't expect people to ask me that for awhile. :p

Vio&Juni
03-24-2004, 04:04 AM
There are two questions I hate:

1. When are you going to marry? - and if I think of it, it's mainly the unhappily married women that ask me this.

and

2. Two cats? Don't you think it's better to have kids than cats? - This one is REALLY stupid!!! They think I have cats instead of kids? :rolleyes:

btw, I just found out on Monday that both my cats are great with babies. My aunt came in visit with her granddaughter and my furries LOVED to play with her. Even Juni!

neko1
03-24-2004, 06:19 AM
2 questions I hate:

1. When are you going to have children? Um..just because I'm married doesn't automactically mean that I'm having kids.

2. When people ask how many cats I have, and I say 4, then they proceed to say.."WHY do you have so many?"

Some people just need to be smacked in the face for asking such stupid things.

catnapper
03-24-2004, 06:46 AM
Oh, I just thought of another one that gets me:

I am only 31 but have more grey hair than my mom. I dye it once a month - people actually come to me and ask, "wow, just how grey are you?" One woman actually told me that I'd be so pretty if I just did something with my grey hair! lol.

RICHARD: When I met my husband, his hair was brown with flecks of red. When he grew a breard, it was reddish brown
with flecks of chocolate brown. Now, only a few years later, he has mostly grey hair with a growing amount of flesh showing. When he grows a beard, its brown here, red there, white there, and a few black ones poking through:D

slick
03-24-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by RICHARD
I got it from my dad, the milkman and the postman.
:D :D :D Good answer!!!!
I think I told this story before but here goes again for the newbies.

About 8 years ago we had a new person start at work. I was a "bit heavier" back then and when introduced to her she asked me when I was "due".

I quickly calculated and said, "mid-November, but I'm not sure who the baby's father is. I'll be able to tell by the colour of the baby." Her mouthed dropped and she walked away in a huff. :D :D

I love it......

G.P.girl
03-24-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by slick
"mid-November, but I'm not sure who the baby's father is. I'll be able to tell by the colour of the baby." Her mouthed dropped and she walked away in a huff. :D :D

I love it......

teehee..:D i love answers like that!