PDA

View Full Version : Bear has a new home (kind of)

wolf_Q
03-22-2004, 07:40 PM
I don't know if anyone remembers me posting about Bear and Trusty...it was quite a long time ago.

They are my friend, Melissa's dad's hunting dogs. Bear is a 9 year old black lab and Trusty was an older ( 15+ ?) german shorthair pointer. Trusty was pts last year because of health problems. Putting Trusty to sleep was the first nice thing her dad has done for the dogs, he was in bad shape.

Well he's finally done something nice again. :rolleyes: Bear has lived his entire life in a wooden shack basically. He lived at a different house, Melissa's brothers house. He's been provided food, water and shelter, that's about it. He's only been let out occasionally, and that was mostly just to go hunting.

Melissa has tried many times to talk her dad into letting her bring him over to their house and take care of him. He's always said no. Well, for some reason he actually changed his mind!

He said this morning that he didn't care if she brought him over and she could do what she wanted with him. So now Bear has an appointment on Saturday for vaccinations/heartworm testing and he will be neutered ASAP (they said since he's never had vaccinations he has to wait at least 10 days after for the surgery).

He'll still be living outside (no way will her parents allow a dog in the house) but he'll have a nice CLEAN dog run, toys, good food, vet care and attention! :D

micki76
03-22-2004, 07:43 PM
Amy!!! :D What wonderful news. I remember poor Trusty and Bear, such a sad situation. :(

But this is such good news! I'm so happy for Bear. :)

CamCamPup33
03-22-2004, 07:44 PM
:D :D YAY for bear! That's great news! :D Let us know how the testings went! :)

Logan
03-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Oh, Amy, finally a decent life for Bear!!!! :D I'm so happy for him!!! :)

lovemyshiba
03-22-2004, 08:29 PM
I do remember the story very well.
I'm so happy that Bear will finally be getting the care he deserves!!!
Great news!!!!
:)

Cincy'sMom
03-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Yeah for Bear!! I'm sure Melissa will make sure Bear finally get the attention he deserves!

anna_66
03-22-2004, 08:47 PM
I remember you talking about him. I'm so glad he's going to have a chance for a better life:D

dukedogsmom
03-23-2004, 07:10 AM
I don't know the story but something tells me I wouldn't want to know it :( I'm so glad Bear is getting a chance at a good life. He'll be a happy dog, for sure.

ramanth
03-23-2004, 08:54 AM
Yay for Bear! Looking forward to pics. :D

Kona & Oreo's mom
03-23-2004, 08:57 AM
I am so glad that Bear has this opportunity for a better life. Hooray!

wolf_Q
03-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Thanks everyone! I just hope her dad doesn't change his mind or something. I think he did actually say though that he felt guilty about neglecting him all these years.

I also hope he checks out as healthy at the vet. He actually looks really good for his age. I'd say he looks more like 5 years old, not 9. I hope he doesn't have heartworm...I don't think there's a very high incidence of it here, but there's always the chance.

I'll try to get some pics of him soon. :)