PDA

View Full Version : Brock has EPI- Exocrine Pancreatic Isufficency

veegan
03-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Does anyone else on here have dogs with EPI or know anything about it? Brock was just diagnosed with it a week ago. :( This is why he's had diarrhea the last 6 or so weeks (it all started a week or less after I adopted him). For those of you who know nothing about it (as I did previously!) here is some brief, basic info I've learned over the past week:

what is it?:
There are a few suspected causes, usually in dogs it occurs in younger dogs (like Brock), and is thought to be an auto-immune disorder called PAA- pancreatic acinar atrophy, in which the body attacks and destroys part of the pancreas (opposite from the insulin producing side). (in older dogs, and in cats however, its most likely due to chronic pancreatitis). The body is therefore unable to produce the necessary pancreatic enzymes to digest food, so when untreated the dog basically starves. It is uncertain if it is hereditary, but it is extremely common in german shepherds, so its suspected that it may be hereditary in that breed.

common symptoms:
Weight loss (Brock's lost 8 lbs so far), diarrhea (definitely has this), increased appetite, even for things they normally would not eat, including their own feces (Brock's been doing that! >:P), increased rumbling sounds from the abdomen (I've noticed this also), and increased amounts of gas (only since we started him on the enzymes did Brock have gas).

diagnosis:
"The key diagnostic test for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency is called the serum trypsin-like immunoreactivity test, or TLI. The affected animal’s blood sample for this test should be drawn after at least a twelve-hour fast. A low value on this test, accompanied by symptoms consistent with EPI, virtually confirms the diagnosis." (taken from the link below) (Brock had a 0.4- very low)

treatment:
For dogs with EPI caused by PAA (as Brock has), pancreatic enzyme suppliments are added to the diet to aid in digestion. Some dogs get powder, some capsules, some even raw pancreas, and some need a combnation of vitamin suppliments with the enzymes. It is different for each dog, as is the dosage, which can make it hard to get maintained at first. Changing diet can help also. A diet low in protien, fiber & fat is often recommended, as is a raw food diet.

Thankfully though, once the diease is maintained the dogs live perfectly happy, healthy lives, and it doesnt hinder their life span or quality of life in any way. (Its just getting to that point that is stressing me out right now!)

(For more detailed info this is a good site:
http://www.vetcentric.com/reference/encycEntry.cfm?ENTRY=96&COLLECTION=EncycIllness&MODE=full)

I've been reading a lot about it at the EPI yahoo group, (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/k9-EPIGLOBAL/) and the members have said the average DIAGNOSIS time is 6 months because its so uncommon and the symptoms are the same for many other more common illnesses. By that time the dogs are practically skin and bones, and it can take several more months to figure out what enzyme + dosage & diet, etc works best! So Im lucky we got Brock diagnosed so quickly. He is on a cheaper enzyme right now (we bought it by accident), hopefully it will work, otherwise we will have to get the more expensive, most common, enzyme brand.

One of the hardest things for me is, they cant get food without getting their enzymes at the same time, so he cant get any treats throughout the day. This is going to be difficult for training! Right now Im feeding him 3 times a day to help him gain weight, so I just do training with his kibble right after feeding him the enzymes in some wet food.

Anyhoo.. just thought Id share this info with you, since I hadnt heard of it prior to Brock, and also see if anyone else on PT suffers with the same disease. Hopefully I'll get Brock maintained soon.

ramanth
03-22-2004, 10:38 AM
I am not familier with the disease, but it looks like you're doing your homework. :) I hope Brock feels better real soon!

Corinna
03-22-2004, 11:08 AM
So sorry to hear about your beatuful Brock, He was sent to you for the obivous reasons that you know to research and find the answers. Glad it can be but into a stable condiation. Keep us informed of the progress.

tomkatzid
03-22-2004, 11:56 AM
We are very sorry to hear about Brock. We are glad he has "YOU" to love him. As Corinna said, there is a reason he is with "YOU".
The BARF diet, Bones And Raw Food, should help him. We had never heard of this either untill now. Please keep us posted.
I'll post this beautiful pics of him when we met at Marymore.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/p16de9ad6998df92448aaa93449da1efa/f9c1e8e1.jpg
I'm so glad he found "YOU".
Tom and Katz

tatsxxx11
03-22-2004, 12:14 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. But the good news is it's treatable; and Brock has the most wonderful Mom to see him over this hurdle. What a great job you've done researching this condition. This thread will be a valuable source of info. should another memeber find her/his self in the same situation. I've known of a few dogs with this condition but I wasn't too well read on the treatment. Thanks for sharing it with us all. Most of all, best, best wishes to Brock for a speedy recovery from this acute stage. I'm sure that under your loving care he'll do great! He's so lucky to have found you. Hugs to you sweet Brock! What a beautiful boy!:) Please keep us updated!

Albea
03-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Oh, beautiful Brock, I'm so sorry that you have this problem. But your mommy is taking very good care of you and if you take all your medications you'll be well soon. Best wishes for a quick recovery and a big hug to you.

Miss Meow
03-22-2004, 02:35 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Brock. I hadn't heard of EPI, but you've obviously become well-informed on this problem and can help Brock live a full and happy live.

Fingers crossed that he gains weight and gets over this tough period soon {{{hugs}}}

dukedogsmom
03-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Poor Brock. I hope you can get it under control soon. I didn't know anything about it, either. Last April, Duke was very sick with Panreaitis. He can't have any people food now and can't eat normal canned food that you get at the grocery store. I have to get it at a pet store or vet. Hope Brock gets well soon.

lovemyshiba
03-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Well, I hadn't previously heard of the condition that Brock has, but now I have, and know a lot of information on it.
I'm glad Brock has been diagnosed by your vet and that it is treatable.
He's very lucky to have you, and it's wonderful all of the research you've done for him.
I know he is in great hands!!!

As a side note, I've been having some trouble with Riley lately, and when he goes for his checkup I would like to be armed with as much information as possible of possible things to check him for. He does have a couple of the symptoms you mentioned there, so it helps me out to have more info. May I ask, though, what kinds of tests did they run on Brock? How did the vet diagnose this condition?

I'm sorry to be too nosy, just wondering!!!

Brock is such a doll!! I hope he's feeling well again soon!!
Such a handsome boy!!!!!!!!

anna_66
03-22-2004, 08:43 PM
I've never heard of this either but I'm glad to hear that it can be taken care of.

{{{HUGS}}} to Brock!

sabies
03-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the information. Glad to hear it is something that can be managed. Brock I hope you are feeling better soon!

veegan
03-23-2004, 02:15 AM
Thanks to all for all the kind words and good wishes. Its much appreciated.

Tom and Katz-
I feel the same. I have always felt that Brock was meant to be with me, even before I met him, and this confirms that feeling even more. I mean, I adopt him and four days later he starts having loose stool. What are the odds? EPI just kind of happens whenever it happens. What if it happened a week sooner? He may not have been adopted out. And because my dad is a vet, (he's actually a dermatologist. but he knows the basics, and also has been working with a vet he knows well throughout all of this, who is an internalist) we were able to quickly and properly diagnose Brock in a little over a month. (When, as I said before, it often takes as long as 6 months or more before dogs get diagnosed). We are also financially able to manage his condition (and of course my dad being a vet helps cut down a lot of costs). Who knows what might've happened if he was adopted by someone else. He mightve ended up back in rescue, or he may have gone undiagnosed for months. Maybe even becoming too ill to recover. Anyways.. I believe everything happens for a reason, and I know Brock has a lot to teach me in the years ahead. (And who knows who else we might educate & help together).

lovemyshiba-
First of all, you are not being nosey at all! Feel free to ask anything you want about whats going on with Brock.

The main symptoms are diarrhea and weight loss. If you dont at least have these symptoms its probably not EPI. And like I said in my first post, many EPI symptoms are the same in a lot of other disorders. However, it is good to be aware of & open to the possibility! It usually occurs in younger dogs, between 6 months and 2 years, give or take, (though this is just the average, it can happen to any aged dog) or older dogs who have had chronic pancreatits for years. In young dogs/dogs without pancreatitis, it is thought to be an auto immue disorder.

For Brock we ran a TLI (trypsin-like immunoreactivity) blood test, because he is young and we knew it had to be an immune problem, (not caused by pancreatitis. Im not sure how it would be diagnosed in a pancreatitis dog. Nor how its treated in those cases either. you can go to the link I posted for more info). I believe there are some other ways to go about diagnosing it, but to my understanding this is the most accurate.

Quoting from my memory of how my dad explained it, (in other words, this might not be 100% accurate but you get the picture) the TLI reads how much the pancreas is producing, so the lower the score, the lower the pancreas is producing. EPI dogs have very low TLI scores because their pancreases are destoryed/being destroyed, so they cant produce any enzymes.

Now just FYI, I remember reading on one website that some people may have difficulty finding a vet/lab that will/can run the TLI test. We had no problems though. I dont know how expensive it is either, and/or if its much different than other blood tests.

And again check out that link I posted, there is more accurate + more thourough info there. You can also just search the net. And good luck with Riley's check up, hope all goes well!

veegan
03-23-2004, 03:02 AM
That photo of yours Katz reminded me.. He was so fluffy back then, it is amazing how much he's changed. He has lost 8 lbs and about half of his coat. Just today I finally tightened his collar, and now its as small as it can go.

before:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/pbb0f2a8b5975803f51c39916aa8e9112/f9be5fdc.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/p9f916ca5a57996b15d6fbe9ad68b9aee/f9cb82a5.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/pa9faa23440c2b7db417fcc0072c94a9f/f9cb8d52.jpg

now:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid108/pb55f04f9037552f09933ce8d7bdf6523/f93f7585.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid108/p12c43bf48eaa6be0d89bffad040981ae/f93f75b3.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid108/pe48cdc67b67936892cd8d073c369166d/f93f754f.jpg

You really cant tell in the photo, but the amount of fluff he's lost is shocking. Not to mention the fact you can feel every rib and the protruding hip bones. :(